Serious illnesses while living in van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recall one road trip to Costa Rica from California back in the 90's and I bought a snack from a street vendor in Sayula, Mexico. I was cooked meat on a stick. I smelled a bit strange, but tasted OK.

Two hours later I was doubled up on the side of the road vomiting and had projectile diarrhea, unable to even speak or get up. Seriously, the sickest I have ever been. Turned out to be food poisoning. I was lucky because I had a friend with me. What if I was alone and something like that happened? What about emergency medical aid when you are boondocking?

Just curious how y'all handle situations like that.

As long as I have my phone, 911 is just a phone call away, and from what I've heard, 911 works even if you don't have a signal to make a normal call. I have a CB radio too.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
As long as I have my phone, 911 is just a phone call away, and from what I've heard, 911 works even if you don't have a signal to make a normal call. I have a CB radio too.

I believe you still need the signal to call 911, what you don't need is the service. Under Federal law, any cell phone, activated or NOT must be able to make free 911 calls.

That means you don't have to pay for service and if you take along an old phone that is still serviceable, you have the peace of mind that you can communicate free to 911 when a signal is available. Older analog phones will not work with modern digital networks, so be sure the old phone you take is still compatible with modern networks.

I haven't played with CB radios since the 70's but I know a trucker who claims they are almost worthless now days. I have an Amateur 2 meter HT, so I'll take that too, as it doesn't take up much space.

If its something you are really worried about, you can pick up a sat device like SPOT pretty cheap but they get ya on the subscription. Still cheaper than a regular sat phone tho. Or you can get a personal beacon, but they are seriously last resort, rescue teams and choppers on the way, kinda deal.

Here is a good page to check out:
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

If the signal is too spotty for voice calls, many times a text will still get through, as it is a brief 'burst' transmission. So you might be able to text a friend or family member and have them alert the authorities. If you are unable to talk but can still text (like any modern teenager) then you should be able to get through. If you are in a total 'deadzone' then you are SOL.

LeeRevell said:
If the signal is too spotty for voice calls, many times a text will still get through, as it is a brief 'burst' transmission. So you might be able to text a friend or family member and have them alert the authorities. If you are unable to talk but can still text (like any modern teenager) then you should be able to get through. If you are in a total 'deadzone' then you are SOL.

Ive had this happen during a terrible storm...no calls but could text...I was sitting in my minivan in an open area facing into the worst of the wind with a tire punctured by debris texting my family to pray for me. A tree already landed on my cabin before this...

Glad i got a message out.

where I live "forget most cell signals" they don't work here. dish TV doesn't work here either.nor does 911...
I got hurt Bad 3 weeks ago...911 nothing, I called a friend 100 miles away =local rescue squad didn't answer, friend called next town 40 miles away---eventually local rescue got notified. took over a hour, 28 miles away to come & take me to hospital..I have NO neighbors-next house north of me long distance & he's gone @ work till after 7 pm.
I'm home & made it..

Here is what you do
1) have a whistle. If you are sick you will barely have whistle strength.
2) cellphone. Make sure you have someone who has your travel plans. 24 hours without contact then maybe time to see what is happening. Use both ATT towers and VERIZON towers. Know the difference.
3). Personal Locator beacon SPOT or others. Maybe consider it if you have no cell towers nearby. Some plans are cheap and pay as you go.
4) own a 2 meter radio for amateur ham radio. You can listen on it. Towers are lots if places. They can communicate 20 miles. For emergency you can use them. No problem. Even a HF shortwave radio can be used for emergency

"friend with me. What if I was alone and something like that happened? What" 3rd world. tomorrows meat on a stick?

I had something in Georgia. The changes in drinking water contaminates from one part of USA to another. Thank you! I was glad to have my 5 gallon bucket.

Diarrhea is not a joke. It can dehydrate and kill a man in a week, a lightly built woman or child even faster. Get the best emergency gear you can afford and try to stay within its range- especially if you are alone. By the time someone notices that strange van in the desert or secluded in a shady clump of trees, it could be way too late.

SPOT or similar personal locator seems to be the answer if this is a deal breaker for your peace if mind.

66788 said:
I recall one road trip to Costa Rica from California back in the 90's and I bought a snack from a street vendor in Sayula, Mexico. I was cooked meat on a stick. I smelled a bit strange, but tasted OK.

Two hours later I was doubled up on the side of the road vomiting and had projectile diarrhea, unable to even speak or get up. Seriously, the sickest I have ever been. Turned out to be food poisoning. I was lucky because I had a friend with me. What if I was alone and something like that happened? What about emergency medical aid when you are boondocking?

Just curious how y'all handle situations like that.

I always keep an emergency stock of food and liquids for that so I can stay in ned for a few days while it goes away.

I keep a package of OTC anti-diarrhea medication in my medicine cabinet. NM restaurants operate on a pass/fail health inspection. Few actually "fail". We rarely eat out any more. I have a TX food managers license. This state's health inspections are lacking (and we operated a mobile food cart!) and I suspect the inspectors are a bit clueless.

I also keep a 2 litre bottle of Ginger ale (for nausea and it tastes so good) amongst other medications. I also know the location of the nearest Walk-in Clinic and hospital. These things I know because my husband has a bad heart. Every fall, I go thru my medicine cabinet and toss the expired OTC meds, check the amounts of the current packages and add the needed replacements to my grocery list. I keep OTC cold & flu meds and OTC allergy meds on hand all year. When I am getting sick, I do not feel like going out to the grocery store to buy medicine to get me to work the next day.

BUILD UP A WELL STOCKED MEDICINE CABINET/CHEST! That is something that cannot be stressed enough. Plus take care of your self and keep you immune system healthy. Whether you do flu shorts or not is up to you. Personally I think it is a waste of money and time (my Dad got sick right after every flu shot and then got what ever flu was going around later) and I have several of his allergies, so I don't risk a flu shot. I try to keep my immune system healthy and strong.

They also have On Star for vehicles other then GM, I believe this is off of satellite. Not sure if the non GM can call for help in an accident even if you can't. https://www.onstar.com

But I like the idea of SPOT. http://www.findmespot.com also off satellite I believe.

Depending on what service you get, you can even text friends and family and/or let them track your location. But to use the emergency beacon, as some already said, you have to be on your last leg. It easy to find stories whereby someone hit the beacon because they where in an uncomfortable situation and whereby they where charge thousands of dollars. This because they send full blown search and rescue when you hit the button.

I see now SPOT has a satellite phone, service is $25 a month, however the phone to pricy at $550. But like any SPOT device, and unlike OnStar, this will work weather your with your van or not, and is independent of car electrical systems. You can also take with to your next car without instillation.

compassrose said:
BUILD UP A WELL STOCKED MEDICINE CABINET/CHEST! That is something that cannot be stressed enough. Plus take care of your self and keep you immune system healthy. Whether you do flu shorts or not is up to you. Personally I think it is a waste of money and time (my Dad got sick right after every flu shot and then got what ever flu was going around later) and I have several of his allergies, so I don't risk a flu shot. I try to keep my immune system healthy and strong.

We think alike! I keep a well stocked med cabinet, and a first aid kit that goes well beyond simple first aid. One good thing about having an S&B is having the room to keep plenty of preps too. Being smack in the center of Hurricane Central makes that a must.
Having some first aid training (beyond using bandaids) is, I think, essential too.

I like to carry powdered Gatorade in my camp-kitchen box. Not just for diarrhea/food poisoning, but to help combat dehydration on hot days.
I realize sports drinks aren't for everyone and they come with a whole slew of arguments regarding their health benefit vs harm, but it packs away light/compact and can be added to water in any ratio you like (I like it watered down a bit).
It's a good way to balance/restore your electrolyte levels, whether you're sick or not.

I've had it coming out of both ends a few times while in the van and fortunately could use a bucket or spew on the ground. If it's not a 911 situation, all one can do is tough it out. Might be a good idea to keep Immodium on hand as a Just in Case.

Folks should consider getting their 'tech' license (entry level ham licenses) and have a mobile 2 meter radio on board. With this radio, there are many repeaters making it likely that you'll be able to make contact from remote locations. Getting the Tech license is easy, however, one does not have to have a license to operate the radio during an emergency, but one does need to know how to operate that radio effectively. And that is why it is best to take the test and get the license. Practice tests and study can be found for free at QRP and other Ham Radio websites. BTW, I recently had open heart surgery and am still recovering. Fortunately I could still drive myself to the doctor's. Next time I might not be able to. Could have been out in the boonies when this happened and needed the radio. I also have a a CB and other radios, but the 2 meter radio can make a contact when my other radios cannot. 2 Meter is the best option as it can hit repeaters 50 to 100 miles away using 10 to 60 watts no problem. CB is max 5 watts. CB is extremely limited in range in comparison. Brand new 2 meter radios can cost less than $300. I paid $50 for a simple to use older 1980's model bot on Craig's List. It is powerful 45 watt high quality radio. And I have second 2 Meter mobile for the car. Total cost including antenna was about $180 for a high quality 60 watt Yeasu. I can easily communicate from the car to someone in the RV as well. If you need to go dirt cheap, buy a handheld Boafeng brand new for about $45 from Radiooddity. However you'll need to use a good external antenna with these to get only fair performance. It is only a 4 watt radio, but better than a CB. Under ideal conditions and my homemade antenna, I've talked 60 miles on only 4 watts, but conditions were ideal. You'd be far better off with a mobile that can get out in under less than idea conditions. If you must, get a CB and a amplifier (linear), but because the 2 Meter has repeaters available, it will be far more effective and you'll make contact with persons who take radio communications seriously.

BTW, loved the No Bounderies Video. Reassuring at a time I need it most. Soon I'll loose my home and be forced to join you. Good thing this heart attack occurred when it did as I would not be able to take care of myself very well in the RV in the middle of winter. I should be allowed to drive in a few weeks, but it is not quite road worthy for long distance travel. I must do that work myself and cannot for the next 2 months. So I'll parking on someone property until I'm able to do that work. This is all coming on me at the same time, loosing the home and my health when I need it most to move out and to be able live in the RV. Staving off depression is my biggest problem right now. thanks for listening...