Selling my house Dilemma, need advice!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my house Sale - There was a problem with my deed, a problem that should have been taken care of when I bought the house. I had to make a few phone calls and chase down the previous owner and get a signature and have it notarized. No biggie and the deed is now in fine shape.
Now for the drug addicted, manic, bipolar sister. She kept insisting on moving in before paying, and I kept refusing, all the while moving at least one huge load out of the house every day for 8 days. Finally after I declared it was ready to move in, all I needed was her check.... She backed out. The very next day, Mon Aug 1, she sent an email saying she would still buy if I would go back to $15,000. The guy who offered $20,000 has found another mobile home in the same price range and bought it, so that avenue was closed. I was ready to sell, so I just accepted her offer and we awaited her meeting with the Edward Jones lady yesterday to give her the check to pay me with. About 1:30 I got a text message from my other sister in New York, that the Edward Jones gal had talked Karan out of buying my house, convincing her SHE would teach her how to manage her money.
There is still at least 2 people still interested in buying, so I'm only mildly irritated about this delay. Instead of getting angry and bummed out i will get my fork out and eat some crow and digest the lessons I've recently learned!!
Per MrNoodly -
Rule 1: Don't do business with relatives.
Rule 2: Don't do business with substance abusers.
Rule 3: Money talks, bullshit walks.
Bottom line, I can let this tear me down or move on and keep trying to sell and continue on with my plan to go Full time RV. People who know me call me the "King of Plan B", this is only a minor annoyance and I always try and look at the brighter side of things.
The Brighter side is -
1. I learned some important lessons about trust and siblings.
2. Due to the rush she put me under, I managed to almost completely empty out my house, and sell or give away most of the junk I didn't need anymore. My load is much lighter. I did this in 1 week, it could have taken months.
3. Slowed my eagerness to "get away" so I don't rush off without completely taking care of the MOST IMPORTANT thing, MY DAD. He still needs me.

I'm going to talk to the other prospective buyer tonight and if doesn't work out, I'll put it on Craigslist, I've always had good luck selling things there. either way, I will still endure.

Gadget: 

Congrats on your ability to take the high road and learning from a bad experience. A lot of people could not have landed on their feet like you did. Your logic is examplory. Well done!

I still think your house might be potentially worth a lot more than $15,000 due to location, location, location.

In your shoes, I'd AUCTION the house with a minimum bid of , say ($15,000 + 10% = $16,500) The extra 10% should cover the auctioneer's fee.  It wouldn't surprise me if it fetched a lot more than that.

I agree with John. Read your state's auction laws, then either hire it done, or auction it yourself. I sold two houses via auction. It was quite easy to do. I did hire 2 people to help on the days of the auctions--$10 an hour, about 4 hours both days. I had never sold anything in my life before that, nor since. I don't even have garage sales.
I used the book "HOW TO SELL YOUR HOUSE IN 5 DAYS" by Bill Effros
http://www.howtosellyourhomein5days.com/
Do use his book, you might find a copy in your library. The ONLY cost (that I know of) is the cost of the book. It has all the templates you would need--it did then.
The forum there used to be open, but I see you now have to subscribe. I followed the book, used the templates, did pretty much all that was suggested. Both houses sold at fair market value, and I did not pay an agent. In fact, I made it very clear that if the buyer used an agent, the buyer would pay. The other buyer did not use an agent.
I was already moved out of both when they were sold.
I got my contract and set up escrow through my title insurance company. I don't know how that would work with a mobile home, but definitely worth looking into.
There's at least one other person selling Bill's information, and charging for it, so be careful.

Most likely Sis was never going to pay you. Let me move in now and I will pay you later doesn't usually end up that way. Once she was in, it would be hard to get her out.
I would give it to a realtor with a minimum acceptable price, (a high one at that). If the realtor wants to buy it, or have you sell it to their friend, so what, you got your acceptable price. If it doesn't sell right away, knock down the price.
I once had a Sears resale center near where I lived. The sold the blems and dents at a reduced price. They would mark the item up high, and then reduce the price every week until it sold. The beauty of this system is everyone knew it would be cheaper next week, but if they didn't buy it now, someone else was sure to snatch it up before they could. It gave the buyer some motivation. You could list it for $25k, then drop the price $500 every other month.

I'm using the title office to do the closing, no pay, no key. After I came to my senses I told her she couldn't move in until she paid, so that is now a moot point, and she knows it all too well. I gave another interested buyer the tour last night, told him $20,000 was the price and it never go down, only up. He looked fairly interested.

Although I am very eager to buy a newer Van and outfit it, I'm learning to be patient. Murphy's Law for me anyway - The more I want to sell soon, the longer it will take. If this guy doesn't snag it up, I will do a little more touch ups on the outside and put it on Craigslist. As a last resort, I'll auction it off.

The place is practically empty, just enough stuff to actually live there. I have one futon set up as a bed, 1 computer, 1 TV. the kitchen & bathroom are still stocked and usable. I could empty whats left in 1 day, and if I didn't feel like going to the DAV, it could all go to the dump. This "getting rid of junk" is very liberating, almost enjoyable.

The location is 30 miles west of Wichita, Ks. in a small town of 1500 called Cheney. 6 miles South of Cheney Reservoir. Great fishing and known as the sailing lake of Kansas.

Gadget728 said:
6 miles South of Cheney Reservoir. Great fishing and known as the sailing lake of Kansas.

:D  Next you'll be telling us it's the Homeport of the Kansas Navy . . .

At least your sister is out of the picture.  That relieves ME, and I don't even know you.

Have you ever had a realtor just take a look at it and give a guess on what you might get for it?  Don't set up a deal, just ask.

OTOH, I could sell it for you for $500,000, and you could take the profit in eight $625,000 payments! 
:blush: :s :D :rolleyes:
Hey, am I good at math or WHAT???

Thanks for the replies!! This post is a bit long because t covers several subjects involved here. Thanks for indulging me. ALL Replies are important, Sometimes viewpoints are brought up I never thought of. (I'm not that smart)
My insurance agent, Chris, is also a Realtor. He gets to Wichita about 3 times a month and he drove out to Cheney yesterday to look my place over. He gave it an inside & outside tour and pointed out some minor carpentry stuff to repair or at least tidy up a bit. Nothing major, just a couple of superficial things.

When I lived here full time, I kept my yard in great shape, and the area in the way back nice & neat. It's an easy place to put stuff, but weeds could take over if not kept up on. In the past few years of taking care of my Dad plus his house & yard, mine has not received it's fair share of work. I was hard at it when Chris showed up, and had all the yard waste done and loaded in my trailer before dark. When it stops raining today, I'll take it to the limb dump outside of town and load up the misc. junk that needs to go to the recycle station and my yard will be squared away.
Chris recommended putting it on Craigslist and ask for $25,000. He suggested my title say "Mobile Home & Land, 25 Grand" He told me if it didn't sell in a few weeks, he would "look into it". Chris has been my insurance guy and friend for years, he knows my plan to go full RV, and since I've NEVER made a claim, he's doing everything cheap. Usually he gets a % of the sale, he will do mine for a flat rate of $250. He says my lowest price should be $20,000. Everything on this piece of property is 30+ years old. I've got it cleaned up to sell, but if it were torn down and a duplex were put here it would make someone a lot of money.
$20,000 is more than I EVER thought I could get for it, and if someone comes around with a 20 grand offer, I'll take it!!

BTW- Everybody in my very small world are glad my sister is out of it too. She fired the Edward Jones lady on the second day and demanded her money, approx. $43,000
be transferred to the Cheney Bank. That transfer will probably be completed by this Wed. 8-10-16, and I'm fairly sure she'll try and make me the $15,000 offer 1 more time. Since I've never told the title people she cancelled, they are in a holding pattern. The original 20 grand contract is still at their office and the closing date was originally set for 8-21-16. (at the latest) I will tell her she can have it for the 20 grand she signed the contract for, but I'm only giving her 1 day to make it to Mac with a check and sign the papers or the price goes up to 25 grand and I'll sell it to someone else. She is predictable, but bipolar. If I get her on a good day, she'll jump on it, be at the office in a matter of hours. If she's in a bad mood she'll tell me NO. I've left out the expletives, she's very vulgar. Either way I'll just keep at it, I am truly focused on doing this.
After Chris left some friends of mine, Marty & Scottie, from Northern Kansas were in the area and stopped by. I turned Marty's wife loose in the back bedroom where there are 5 bookcases full of Very interesting books and gobs of neat trinkets I had collected over the years when I was hauling junk out of peoples yards & garages. Lot's of little keepsake boxes, brass stuff, figurines ...
She (Scottie) loaded up 2 totes of stuff and Marty said if Karan didn't buy it Wednesday, he would be back Friday with a trailer to buy my BBQ, and 2 nice picnic tables. I told him I'd load him up. Marty has been my friend longer than anyone else I've ever known, I'd rather give him what I don't want for free than just throw it away, or have to deal with a DAV. I'm pretty sure his pickup and 16' trailer will hold ALL my remaining STUFF!! My house will be empty!!! MY adventure continues!!

Gadget728 said:
My insurance agent, Chris, is also a Realtor. He gets to Wichita about 3 times a month and he drove out to Cheney yesterday to look my place over. He gave it an inside & outside tour and pointed out some minor carpentry stuff to repair or at least tidy up a bit. Nothing major, just a couple of superficial things.
Chris recommended putting it on Craigslist and ask for $25,000. He suggested my title say "Mobile Home & Land, 25 Grand" He told me if it didn't sell in a few weeks, he would "look into it". Chris has been my insurance guy and friend for years, he knows my plan to go full RV, and since I've NEVER made a claim, he's doing everything cheap. Usually he gets a % of the sale, he will do mine for a flat rate of $250. He says my lowest price should be $20,000.... $20,000 is more than I EVER thought I could get for it, and if someone comes around with a 20 grand offer, I'll take it!!

$250 is a pretty standard rate for flat-fee listers. An agent that will basically list your property on the local MLS so it may get more views. You do all the work. He might also--for more $$, rent you a lockbox, a company sign, and a few other things.
If he were listing, showing, handling everything, his fee might be at least $750--3% of $25K.
Find out what all HE does for that $250, and what YOU must do. You can buy a contractors lock box at home depot for a bout $30, and keep it when you no longer need it.
I made my own yard signs, hung a tube (an empty pringles can) with flyers in it from a post, posted notices in various locations.
Again, using Bill Effros' guidelines. Good luck with this sale.

Thanks Ella1, I've got a keybox, but will always show it personally. Plus, my door has an electronic push button lock on it. If my Craigslist ad and word of mouth around town here doesn't get it sold i'll turn to Chris. Chris won't have to do anything except list it, ie find a buyer, I'll do the rest. The title company is holding the paperwork and will withdraw their fee out of the buyers payment. This is a very informal but legal sale.
When I take pics and put them on CL, it probably won't take long to sell. Cheney is an up and coming suburb of Wichita. Houses very rarely have a sign in front of them very long here.
Although I'm fed up with my sisters BS, I still believe if she buys it and rents hers out, she will make her money last longer. I am not against selling to her, but like I stated earlier, I have discontinued communications with her, and await an email she will probably send when she gets control of her money. She knows I'm not messing around anymore, she can see and hear me fixing & cleaning everything up. She's personally aware of my tenacity and determination. I will only give her 24 hours to make up her mind and then she's truly out, after that I'll ask 25 but gladly take the first 20 grand that comes along. If she doesn't buy, she will run out of money in less than a year, and I will be camping in some national forest NOT worrying about her.

Well here we go again - My sister has decided against buying my house being a landlord. The neighbor gal told me Karan had already spent 5 grand on crack cocaine & meth and is going to be a drug dealer instead. Whatever, who cares, she'll be broke or in jail in no time, not my problem.

No biggie, I've already got a couple interested in buying and haven't even put it on CL yet. Patience is a virtue, grasshopper.

I have outfitted my Astro Van for short term camping and will practice in it until I sell my house and buy a Chevy Express. Fortunately, I have been buying newer camping gear for the last 2 years and am pretty well outfitted. The saga continues.

In the end I think you will be happier to sell to a stranger. People you know tend to think purchases come with a lifetime guarantee.

Stephanie, a 50+ yr old, divorcee is buying my house. She came and looked at it 2 weeks ago and said - "I'm 95% sure I want it." I didn't hear from her for 13 days, had all but given up on her, and she called yesterday and wanted her sister the realtor to see it. The sister approved, but wanted to do the paperwork to make some money, I politely declined, telling her all the paperwork was already taken care of and I was paying all the closing costs out of the purchase price.

Stephanie could come up with $18,000 immediately, and pay me the other $2000 in a month or so. I've been throwing away and giving away piles of stuff every week since my sister decided not to buy. There are 2 more sheds full of junk and 5 bookcases of books in the back bedroom. She is self employed, has her own money, and a very nice gal. Since I have made $2000 on the stuff from the house already, and I wanted this place SOLD, we agreed on $18,000, next Tuesday, and I get until then to remove anything else I want and she'll take care of the rest. DONE DEAL!! I feel like I still got my 20 grand, and after all, I didn't have nearly that much in it. Just a lot of my own sweat equity.
We shook hands on it, and I'm headed to the title office in the morning!! Thanks for the replies! - Gadget