Schoolie: gas vs diesel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks High Dez for pointing me to this thread.

OP - I can address several parts of this. Just a little background, I have a shuttle/metro version of that short bus (only a Ford). Mine has a diesel engine.
I also have ex military truck that for the last 10+ years I've run other than pump diesel in it.
And I'm one of the very few that do all of my alt-fueling while being nomadic.

As far as MPG, I can get 13 in my shuttle w/ it's diesel engine if I'm not climbing mtns or pulling loads. 10-12 is more common. It also is an older ('93) and could burn alt-fuels, . . . if I pulled a trailer w/ all the stuff needed on it.

Most people that do burn the "easy" one, "MoGas" (waste motor oil - WMO, and low octane gasoline) are using centrifuges, and letting them run for 48 hours some times, to clean the oil. I'm still working on how to do that while mobile. :-]

My big truck is much more forgiving and is happy if I filter the big stuff out of it.

For that truck I have 3, 50gal, fuel tanks. Two, that I pump new stuff into, and one that I filter them into and use from, . . . 150 gal of fuel.

To get it into those tanks I haul around a "transfer" pump, it move things pretty fast, enough 2" hose to be a fireman, and a way to power it. That way I don't spend a lot of time in the shops way.
I then have to spend time pumping from those tanks through two, or three, filters and into my usable tank. That's all in the 12' bed of my truck. That's not considering space for loads of extra filters, special wrenches, funnels, gloves, shop towels, oil on everything I own, etc, etc, . . .
And that's the "easy" alt-fuel, Veg Oil is hard.

So as far as I'm concerned, the ability of an engine to use alt-fuel should play no part in the deciding.
Running on alt-fuels is hard enough when you're processing in your garage, no one's going to do it while being nomadic.

thanks LowTech first hand experience is the best. I knew you could shed light on the subject. highdesertranger

LowTech you should make a youtube video of this process....but I guess the camera lens would end up with oily residue on it...sounds messy....

:dodgy:

The goal is for it NOT to be messy! But sometimes . . .

"sounds messy...."

not really. he walked me though the process a couple of years ago. everything was clean and tidy.

highdesertranger

Thanks to High Dez for pointing LowTech to this thread, and thank you so much LowTech for writing all that out. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what’s involved. So so helpful, thank you.

Stick with the gas. Diesel's, unless it's a newer one, are dirty, period. I love a diesel myself, ran Ford 7.3 super duty for years, I was an industrial mechanic with over a ton of tools to haul around, I needed them. They are a real pain in the backside in cold weather — nothing like trying to start a cold diesel on a freezing morning. I had duel block heaters, fuel line heaters, and filter heater, and still had fuel gel on me. Stay away from veggie oil, it's nasty, hard to work with, unreliable, and you need to be a mechanic — my two cents worth.

My opinion on diesels...........I have several mid 90's trucks running on (anything from B20 to B90 depending on the season) biodiesel which most slag off thinking its voodoo. The diesel engine was originally designed to run on coconut oil.
A diesel engine can run on so many different alt fuels, mine are currently running on clean canola which I can buy from different sources while I live on the road. The only modification I have done to the engines is change any flexible fuel hose with elastomer hoses and installed larger fuel filters.
I don't understand people when they say diesel is dirty either, fuel is fuel doesn't matter whether you can see it or not it pollutes.

When maintained properly diesels are just as clean as a petrol engine with better fuel economy and engine longevity. Running bio fuels actually  cleans all the engine internals better allowing the oil to do the job it was intended to do, lubricate and cool internal parts.
 I've found I get better life from the engine oil as well going longer between oil changes.
The only drawback I have found is in deep winter where I will up the diesel to canola to around 80-90% diesel due to the possibility of gelling though 've never encountered it as our winters are a lot warmer I guess.

After saying this.... I wouldn't buy an electronic diesel engine if my life depended on it, all my stuff are mechanical direct injected.

@Rokguy
To know the diesel engine is to love the diesel engine, and as I mentioned, I drove them for years. My point is this if you don't know diesel engines don't get one, and especially if you're not mechanically inclined and understand diesel's like you & I. And this is especially true of your going to run anything except pump diesel. As to gelling, oh yeah, that is a real pain in the butt. Drive across the Rocky Mountains in January and stop for the night when it is zero or below. Most motels/hotels will have plug-ins, but unless you have dual block heaters, fuel line heat tape, and heat wraps for your filters, you could be in a bind. Remember, what works for you might not work for someone else. In this situation, the folks involved don't need a diesel in my honest and experienced opinion.

Ahhh gelling fuel. Reminds me of a time in a Vermont winter when some church people came north from the Carolina's for some kind of church deal. Parked the bus (MCI 6v92 silver devil) up on a mountain with the butt facing the wind with a 40 below wind chill. Next day, gelled fuel and no start. 2 days of plastic tents and double salamander heaters did nothing. Finally had to pull her out to the road, and hook a D-9 cat dozer to the back and roll it gently down the mountain. Then, towed it to one of the state garages and put her in the heated paint booth. You should have seen how frosty white that bugger turned.  :D 2 days in the booth and the bus finally started and you never saw people beat feet out of state any quicker.