Salt Lake City, UT - Newby

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisolsen

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 
I currently live in SLC, UT and scored a 1986 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube cutaway box truck that I will be converting into a little overland rig. My purpose for this truck is to pack up toys - mtn bikes, surf boards, ski's and climbing gear and hitting the road for days/ weeks at a time and to have a decent little place to sleep at night. I am not building anything for long term living, although I do want it to be comfortable and functionable.  
Hopefully some of you here can give a little input and share some ideas. Excited to be a member on this forum. 

Travis

Attachments

• 20170131_111413.jpg
    20170131_111413.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170209_174755.jpg
    20170209_174755.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170210_141809.jpg
    20170210_141809.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to the CRVL forums Travis! Looks like you found a great truck for your plans. Keep us updated on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and welcome. I spent the night in Salt Lake once (on my way to Phoenix), but haven't done an actual visit there yet. I hear there are lots of cool things to see there though (Natural History Museum, zoo, arboretum, aviary, parks and history museums). Maybe I'll stop there on my next lap around the country. :)

As for advice: go basic and cheap at first, to see what you really need and what you don't. You can always upgrade later if necessary.

Welcome aboard !
I like the rig.
We'll of course be waiting for more pics as you build 'er out.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

welcome let me guess on the engine, 6.2 diesel? I have some tips for you if it is. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
welcome let me guess on the engine,   6.2 diesel?  I have some tips for you if it is.  highdesertranger

Yes it is a 6.2L (military) diesel. To date I have replaced plugs with G60, added a push glow switch for extended glow on those cold days. All fluids have been replaced, belts, and harmonic balancer. 

Do you know of a good place to find window and door seals for these vehicles?

on a side note- 
My good friend just picked up the same vehicle, with a roached motor. We pulled a 6.2L from a k5 blazer and rebuilt it this past weekend. turns out the motor from the K5 had a flywheel put on backwards. got the motor for really cheap! See pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 5
good for changing the balance that is a top priority. what brand did you go with? a super easy upgrade is to run a 2 quart oil filter. I have the Wix/Napa number around here somewhere. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

That Box Truck could almost double as a Tiny House if you were parked for awhile in the Boondocks.  Are you planning to be spending more time parked or rolling? 

You're welcome to take a look at my sites below for any ideas you can get from them. 

I'd say that with an awning on the passengers side that has mosquito netting you'd be able to pull up to a picnic table in a camp ground and have a nice camping place.  It could expand your living room double and the awning catch rain water to store for utility uses.

I bet you had more fun playing with boxes than the toys that came in them! Make a rod to connect the rear doors at the top and throw a tarp/net over it, instant room!

highdesertranger said:
good for changing the balance that is a top priority.  what brand did you go with?  a super easy upgrade is to run a 2 quart oil filter.  I have the Wix/Napa number around here somewhere.  highdesertranger

I changed out the HB with a Dorman . I looked into a fluid balancer, but couldn't justify spending over double for what I paid for the entire truck. 

I would absolutely run a larger filter if you could provide the part number. I put a inline donaldson fuel filter, pre stock filter. I know the stock filters are not the greatest, but I wanted to keep it for the sake of the water sensor. 

I appreciate all of the interaction this site has to offer. I dont plan on taking this on cross country hauls, but do plan to drive it up to Canada, and down to California on occasion, with a lot of local camping (within 350 miles) I have thrown together some ideas in CAD how to build this truck. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 1