Rust is your friend - shed rig weight with creative oxidation.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Here's a way to save weight in your rig: rust the pounds away! If you live in road salt country you're all set, but if not all you need is bare metal and water to start the process! Lose weight, gain MPG, SAVE MONEY! If you can spare $1 sprinkle some salt on the metal to accelerate creative oxidation, and you'll get that $1 back in fuel savings sooner rather than later! If you rather put that salt on your beans and rice you can make more surface area by perforating and scratching up the metal which will also accelerate creative oxidation! Avoid critical  drivetrain and chassis elements for as long as possible, and watch your savings grow as your rust the pounds away! Rust is your friend, and you can deepen the friendship until you are married, by creatively oxidizing your rig to immobility. Gradually get your greedy and lazy ass out of that expensive vehicle and move onto a bicycle, into a shopping cart or Semi tractor as a company driver because it's cheaper!

Has the holes either way all the way through you'll get less wind resistance as well

wmyers4u said:
Has the holes either way all the way through you'll get less wind resistance as well

Epic talk to text fail, sorry.

" As the holes eat their way all the way through, you'll get less wind resistance as well"

Old racing trick in stock class rust/sand blast/ reinstall factory part. You could maybe cut the weight overall by 10%, saw the bumper bolts almost through and tap the wall in the first turn and there goes 20lbs, crash damage used to be allowed weight loss.

Halfway through reading the title I thought to myself, "this has gotta be another one of those weird over-the-top exaggerated satirical posts from Debit."

Yup.

I'm sure you have a point, but I'm not sure you've delivered it in a way that can be received. And I think your post might actually mislead or confuse some people who take you seriously.

Rusted out parts falling off will certainly contribute to weight loss, but the rust on the exterior of the vehicle is a rough surface (think Olympic swimmer gliding smoothly through the water). This rough & abrasive surface will negate gains in MPG that may be garnered with weight loss as it'll not glide through the wind. Also this rough surface will collect airborne particles to the point of sediment, more the longer your camped, and consequential plant growth (I've driven past houses with small trees growing in their gutters) so any cost savings with proposed increase in MPGs will be negated with the necessary purchases of weed killer for your vehicle.

rm.w/aview said:
Rusted out parts falling off will certainly contribute to weight loss, but the rust on the exterior of the vehicle is a rough surface (think Olympic swimmer gliding smoothly through the water). This rough & abrasive surface will negate gains in MPG that may be garnered with weight loss as it'll not glide through the wind. Also this rough surface will collect airborne particles to the point of sediment, more the longer your camped, and consequential plant growth (I've driven past houses with small trees growing in their gutters) so any cost savings with proposed increase in MPGs will be negated with the necessary purchases of weed killer for your vehicle.

Mythbusters did a segment showing that creating a car with a dimpled surface (like that of a golf ball) actually improved aerodynamics.

But of course, the rust suggestion is still pure hyperbole and horse shit.

I once had an old Ford pickup (maybe from the late 60s, when they were having all those problems with poor-quality steel) which was terribly rusted out due to having lived most of its life in rural Ohio.

I kept it at our terminal in City Of Industry, California, where it was the subject of much amusement and abuse. Since it was yellow and full of holes, the other drivers called it the "swiss cheese truck" and picked away at it in their spare time when it was parked at the terminal and I was out on the road. One time I came back after a couple of weeks out and they had picked away the entire left rear fender.

It didn't look good at all, I have to admit, and the LA County Sheriffs did threaten to impound it (I guess due to disrupting the peace on account of ugliness), but boy the weight saving was tremendous. That old thing would just fly after they got done trimming the excess.

Johnny

West Virginia Highway Patrol used to ticket vehicles that had visible rust holes larger than a could be covered by a quarter coin, had to buy a roll of aluminum tape every time I took the interstate. Had a friend that got two tickets at once for the rust hole in the floor and no seat belt because it had fell through the hole and ground off the buckle on the pavement!