Running Van AC off solar generator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrparilux

Reaction score
I've got a 1990 G20 conversion van recently, and while I'm not living in it, I do want to take it camping and road-tripping. I want to get an EcoFlow (or similar) solar generator and battery system, and was wondering if there was a way to hook it up to the van in such a way that I could run the van's electronics (A/C, radio, TV, lights, etc) using the EcoFlow? I'm not necessarily concerned about power output unless it's astronomical, and I plan on having as many power inputs into the battery as I can (solar, alternator, or even just plug in at campground). I would imagine something like EcoFlow's battery charger would work? I'm not terribly familiar with electrical things, especially not on vehicles.

I want to do it this way, instead of just buying EcoFlow's portable air conditioner, because this van will not only be used for camping and road tripping, as I mentioned earlier, but will also be used for business (hauling small sound/video systems) and stuff. So I would like it as minimal as possible (so less to take in and out) and not have to spend that much more money, and don't want to alter the van from the way it is now if possible, keeping it more "stock"

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

AC that is part of your van is run off a compressor via a belt attached to the engine, so you can't run it electrically. AC would require a lot of energy to get much out of it... usually not practical.

AC that is part of your van is run off a compressor via a belt attached to the engine, so you can't run it electrically. AC would require a lot of energy to get much out of it... usually not
Many new vehicles run an electric AC compressor rather than an engine accessory belt to drive the AC compressor I believe.

Welcome to the forum........................RRUFF & FROG I ass-u-me he meant Alternating Current

That's exactly what they do.....they're a Battery , Inverter, Charger, USB/12 volt/120 volt Outputs, and Solar Input

You put plugs on your "wiring" that match the Device......for 12 volt that's often a 2155 barrel connector

BUT.....they have built-in limitations....12V is often limited to 10 AMPS...and Timed outputs

The AC is based on the size of the inverter...........find your appliance's watts from the baseplate

You end up with an old "Telephone Switchboard".....everything plugs into the front

Many new vehicles run an electric AC compressor rather than an engine accessory belt to drive the AC compressor I believe.
His van is a 1990...

Welcome to the forum........................RRUFF & FROG I ass-u-me he meant Alternating Current
He specifically mentions an air conditioner in the next paragraph.

AC that is part of your van is run off a compressor via a belt attached to the engine, so you can't run it electrically. AC would require a lot of energy to get much out of it... usually not practical.
That makes a lot of sense. How unfortunate, sounds like I'm spending more money, then, lol!

That makes a lot of sense. How unfortunate, sounds like I'm spending more money, then, lol!
You'll probably end up with a larger system for less money.

And btw, solar generators generate no energy, solar or otherwise.

Are you thinking of installing a window type A/C unit in it ? There are A/C units that start with less energy. Those have been discussed here before. I think the units were used with lower power quiet type generators. Can't remember who
made those but I believe they were well known national brands.

https://vanlivingforum.com/search/799133/?q=soft+start+A/C+units&o=relevance

Happy Camper, can you shine some light on this ?

Happy Camper, can you shine some light on this ?
There were a couple specific models that were found to be better than others on the forum. 5,000 BTU units that had excellent efficiency. If I recall correctly, one of them isn't made anymore. They had a built in "hard start capacitor" in them already. That allowed them to start without the spike in electricity draw that would overwhelm the inverter.

If you can't find a small AC unit that has one, a hard start capacitor can be added. They are relatively inexpensive, and will help by dumping stored electricity to the compressor on startup, so that spike never guys the inverter.

The last thread I read about those specific models was a few years ago. Most likely they have made updated units with "soft start technology", similar to home refrigerators.

I'm time limited today, but I'll see if I can find those models or the updated ones.
Look up "hard start capacitor kit" and you'll find a lot of products, reviews, and videos explaining them. Cheap but very handy when needed.

The Fridgedaire company is the one that makes a couple of “soft start” portable window AC units. One of them is 500 watts. You can also go on Amazon and purchase a soft start unit for 110v AC units that are self contained small boxes and you just plug the AC cord into it and then plug the cord from it into the AC power outlet.

While not currently an active member “jimindenver” wrote many times in this forum on this topic and was also featured in videos on the cheaprvliving YouTube channel discussing it. “Jimindenver” is currently in the Quartzsite area and spends summers in an RV park there and winters at the La Posa South LTVA. He is still actively working with customers designing solar systems for their RVs and sometimes in the winter months he is also installing solar systems.

But for obtaining a ready made soft start unit to use with a roof top or a window AC unit just go to Amazon and enter the keywords ”soft start air conditioner”.

The small Frigidaire 5,000 BTU window units are cheap, easy to install and do a great job of cooling small areas like my bedroom in my travel trailer or my camper basically 10’x8’x7’ space in 110 degree direct sun desert weather.

The small Frigidaire 5,000 BTU window units are cheap, easy to install and do a great job of cooling small areas like my bedroom in my travel trailer or my camper basically 10’x8’x7’ space in 110 degree direct sun desert weather.
Last time I looked which was about 5!years ago Fridgidaire had two different 5,000 BTU models. The more expensive one had soft start technology, the cheaper one did not. I was at the time seriously considering putting in a linear bearing slide-out base plate in my travel trailer so I could run it with my Honda 1,000 watt generator. But while there have been some high 90 degree days now and again in my journeys 90 percent of time it would just be a waste of space and extra weight to travel with an air conditioner. So I am very glad I did not pursue having an AC as a standard option in my build plans. I really do not want to rent a seasonal gear store room.

It works well on my 2500 dual fuel Champion generator but I wouldn’t want to have to run it often as maintenance and fuel gets expensive and bothersome. Full hookup site makes it easy and justifies the cost mostly or seasonal work if necessary.

I'm not sure that I totally understand what you're trying to do. But I'll share some of my thoughts.

First, I've owned three EcoFlow power stations and I think they're great. I have a Delta Pro in my van. The challenge with a large power station is how to recharge it. The vehicle cigarette lighter is essentially a trickle charger. Obscure but useful fact: the fastest way to charge a Delta Pro is at an EV charging station. EcoFlow makes a DC-DC (aka alternator) charger which is brilliant and so simple to setup that even someone like me (who literally owns only 3 or 4 tools) can do it. There are lots of reviews on YT you can check out to learn more. In my opinion, the utility of solar panels is over rated. I drive a lot, which gives me plenty of time to recharge. Furthermore, as a south Floridian, I try to park in the shade. Folks who are stationary for long periods of time or live in cooler climates may get better use out of solar panels.

It is probably simpler to develop a "house" electrical system to power everything you want to use than it is to re-wire what's tied into the vehicle's electrical system. Everything that you mentioned can be duplicated with 12v appliances. I use USB lighting in my van. I obtain all my audio (including the vehicle's Sirius radio subscription) over the internet from my phone and route it through bluetooth speakers. There are 12v tv/monitors that can be run directly from a power station.

Running an air conditioner when not connected to the grid is complicated and expensive. This is something I've given a lot of thought to, but haven't implemented. Despite being vested in the EcoFlow system, I have no faith that a personal air conditioner, even one made by EcoFlow, would adequately address my cooling needs, so I did not buy their Wave air conditioner.

All of the Delta models can power a 120v air conditioner, the question is for how long? Another factor (for me) is aesthetics: I've seen window air conditioners mounted through the rear window or even the side of a van. If that works for you, its probably the least expensive option.

Dometic, Velit, and Nomadic Cooling make 12v rooftop air conditioners. They're in the range of $2000+. Recently, no name Chinese brands have become available on Amazon. They start at $500-600. 12v air conditioners are efficient in that they don't require an inverter. However, the voltage requirements exceed the limits of the Delta Pro and every other power station. So an separate battery bank would be required to power the air conditioning. The price of Lithium ion batteries has also been falling. A 300 ah battery can be had for under $500. Of course, there's also the skill required for installation. But the bottom line is, for the cost of a Wave 2, a true, rv rooftop air conditioner and battery bank could be created.

The Fridgedaire company is the one that makes a couple of “soft start” portable window AC units. One of them is 500 watts. You can also go on Amazon and purchase a soft start unit for 110v AC units that are self contained small boxes and you just plug the AC cord into it and then plug the cord from it into the AC power outlet.

While not currently an active member “jimindenver” wrote many times in this forum on this topic and was also featured in videos on the cheaprvliving YouTube channel discussing it. “Jimindenver” is currently in the Quartzsite area and spends summers in an RV park there and winters at the La Posa South LTVA. He is still actively working with customers designing solar systems for their RVs and sometimes in the winter months he is also installing solar systems.

But for obtaining a ready made soft start unit to use with a roof top or a window AC unit just go to Amazon and enter the keywords ”soft start air conditioner”.
Soft start now makes a pedestal unit that allows a no install soft start but it's pricy!!

EcoFlow makes a DC-DC (aka alternator) charger which is brilliant and so simple to setup that even someone like me (who literally owns only 3 or 4 tools) can do it.
Are you referring to the thing that cost $600?! That's crazy expensive for a DC alternator charger. Renogy makes decent ones for ~$100.

Are you referring to the thing that cost $600?! That's crazy expensive for a DC alternator charger. Renogy makes decent ones for ~$100.
Yep, I had one. But if I add in the cost of having to replace the starter battery in my vehicle after less than 2 years, because I prematurely aged it as a result of not knowing what I was doing, it was very costly. Skills matter, and one of the things you're paying for with EcoFlow's alternator charger is the sophistication required to make the product idiot proof.

Also, the price on the EcoFlow website is $400.

Latest posts