RTArtCamp 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi sue, my name is mary, im hoping to het there early. Im a sculptor but i also work with stones, jewelry, and dabble in other art forms. Please keep me posted on the loxation. I should be there by the 10th and im able to help any way i can. Thanks!

BALLOON TWISTING CLASS supplies:

For anyone who wants to learn balloon twisting: as you're traveling toward the RTR, try to pick up a simple balloon pump (for 260s). Party supply store, Walmart, craft store, etc. A pump is usually $5 or less. If you have your own pump, you can learn faster because you won't have to wait to share my pump.

I can provide the balloons, so you don't need to buy those. I have lots of extras, and need to get rid of them (they're getting old).

Confetti said:
BALLOON TWISTING CLASS supplies:

For anyone who wants to learn balloon twisting: as you're traveling toward the RTR, try to pick up a simple balloon pump (for 260s). Party supply store, Walmart, craft store, etc. A pump is usually $5 or less. If you have your own pump, you can learn faster because you won't have to wait to share my pump.

I can provide the balloons, so you don't need to buy those. I have lots of extras, and need to get rid of them (they're getting old).

Lisa, this is a really great example of letting people know what they might want to buy or bring!  Thanks.  I’ve said it once before, but if you would like to learn a new skill at RTArt Campthat requires a bunch of supplies, you’ll want to get them on your way to Q.  The closest Walmart is Parker (?) where I went during last year’s RTR to buy acrylic paints and take a break from the humanity.  Maybe some Quartzsite vendors have art supplies, but I don’t know.  Sue

Sue,
There's usually some crafting and art supplies at the dollar stores, even though they're really crappy quality. So people are better off stopping in a larger town before they get to Q.
Although sometimes you don't know what's going to be interesting and fun to do until you see it in action!

FACE PAINTING CLASS supplies:

If you have your own face paints, bring them. Otherwise we'd mostly just be practicing line work, and I have extra brushes we can share. Face painting brushes are very specific, and art store paint brushes do not work. I have extra sponges we can share too.

If anyone is really interested in exactly what supplies to get, you can read my ebook for $2.99, (blatant plug ;-). Top 10 Tips For Halloween Face Painting, by Lisa Starr (on Amazon). I wrote this simple book for parents to paint their own kids, so it's very basic.

Oh, man, just in time for RTArt Camp! I got an email ad from Aaron Bros and they are having one of their BOGO and BOG2 Sales. If you buy one canvas, you get two free. Same with some art supplies, and many others are Buy 1, get 1, including sketchpads and drawing pencils. So hit up Aaron Bros on your way to the RTR. I know there’s one on Ina in Tucson.

Where is the RTRart camp row? I'm already here (Tuesday), I parked in the middle of camp. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'd like to know where the Art camp is also.  I am over with the mindfulness group.  Would someone be willing to publish the coordinates (again)?

Hi guys, today I had intended to be at RTR and find out where Bob is putting the RTArt Camp. However, my engine has been overheating every day and I’ve had one repair, but clearly need something more done. Probably the water pump or the radiator. So I’m going to be late.

In the meantime, Blaize Sun is taking over the ArtCamp organization. I let Bob know, and he said that when he arrived at the RTR, there were already so many people camped all over that he wasn’t able to assign spots for various groups. So Blaize is there now, looking for a place we can get together and do artwork. We won’t be able to all camp together, but hopefully we’ll have a meeting area for classes, sewing circles or whatever.

Blaize will be at the morning meeting tomorrow and will make an announcement about having a meet-and-Greet do you all can decide what you’d like to do. Sorry I won’t be there unless things go miraculously smoothly today. See you as soon as I can be there!

Sue Soaring Sun

Okay, here’s the latest info I have. Blaize drove through the entire RTR looking for a place where we could put up a few tables, have our own meeting area, etc. and it’s simply too packed already. So we will be camped on the road that’s marked RTR Musicians Camp, only you bear to the left before going out very far down that road. I’m sorry, I wish I had less vague directions, but I’m not there. Anyway, Blaize will be at the morning meeting to invite everyone over. It’s about a half mile away from the main RTR Camp.

Sue

Hi all, here’s the latest on RTArt Camp.  As I mentioned yesterday, we could not get a space in the main camp, so we are just north of the main RTR Camp, across a wash, on a separate street marked “RTR Musicians.”  As of late today, we now have some signage.

We had a meeting today of artists and craftspeople who had skills to share, and we sched one activity each day for the upcoming week.  I’ll be announcing the day’s activity each day at 10 am morning meeting.  

If you want to drive or bike to RTArt Camp from the main RTR, go out to the road and turn left and look for our signs.  

If you want to walk to RTArt Camp and you haven’t found us, use our Art Sherpa service!  Meet the Sherpa 15 minutes before Art Camp events at the bulletin board.

Don’t despair if you missed our first planning meeting.  It’s only the first day.  Come visit us.  We can fit in lots more activities, if you’d like to teach or demonstrate something.  Here’s what we have on tap so far:  (NOTE:  Please bring your own chair to all events!)

Friday Jan 12 at 12 noon, Felted Shower Scrubs with Teri Lou.  Learn to felt a wool scrubber that fits over a bar of soap.  Bring new bar of soap if you can.  Also if you have a clean empty squeeze bottle, that would help. First 10 people to meet Teri Lou at the bulletin board at 11:45 can participate, and Teri Lou is happy to schedule another class if need be.

Saturday Jan 13, at 12 noon, Acrylic Pouring on Canvas with Barbara.  Learn to paint a picture (or other objects) by pouring paint instead of using a brush.  Barbara has enough supplies for about a dozen people.  Sojen will walk you over from main camp for this and other events.

Sunday Jan 14, 2 pm, Finger Painting with Blaize.  We have all the supplies.  Have fun and get messy.

Monday Jan 15, 12 noon, Easy Mandala Drawing with Sue. Mandalas are sacred circles found in many countries and cultures.  They’re fun and meditative to draw.  I have an easy method that anyone can try!  Bring scissors and pencils, pens, markers, crayons, or whatever you like to draw with.

Tuesday Jan 16, 12 noon, Crocheting with Sarah Meg.  If you are a beginner, or if you have experience but want to advance, Sarah Meg can help.  She has lots of supplies, but bring your own if you can.

Wednesday, Jan 17, 12 noon.  Pencil Drawing with Brother Peter.  Brother Peter has formal training in Drawing and specializes in both realistic and imaginative scenes that will knock your socks off.  Bring your work in progress or just come draw.  Must bring your own pencil(s).  

Thursday—Open House so no classes, but come visit.  We’ll probably be doing some fun art stuff.

Friday, Jan 19, 12 noon, Make a Voodoo Doll with Sarah Meg.  Sarah has lots of fabric and some fluff, but bring your own if you have it.  Also please bring needle and thread if you can.  

Saturday Jan 20, 11am to 3pm, Collage with Blaize and Sue.  We have some materials, but if you have magazines, glue, glitter, bling, etc, please bring. Please bring your own scissors.

That’s the latest.  

Sue Soaring Sun

Would love to participate in 2019. I could teach wire wrapping stones! Keep me in the loop!

I have tables and can teach wire wrapping stones. Planning on attending in 2019 as a first timer!

GypsySpirit said:
I dabble in many.  Crochet, paint, sew, the basic stuff.   Really want to learn to knit socks.  anyone willing to teach that?

I have been learning to knit socks. I am by no means an expert, but happy to share my knowledge.

Latest posts