RTArtCamp 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Thanks for making this happen. I'll be there and willing to provide time and muscle as needed.

Almost There said:
Sue, the best sign board is made from Coroplast! it's that plastic stuff that election signs are made of.

Also tyvek can be used (the plastic sheeting they put on the sides of houses before siding goes up) Have no idea if it is cheaper than Coroplast, just chiming in. It may not be as rigid though

Wish I could be there for the artcamp! Please post lots of pics!

Happy to see it come together. Problem with tyvek is the amount you need vs the smallest amount you can buy

I'd like to just add that it will be a pleasure to be around artist again and within the rv community- what more can one ask for?

I think the wind rules out Tyvek.

I use Coroplast for signs but be sure you get grommets in it, then you can use zip ties to attach it to whatever you use as posts.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will go see a local sign maker and see what they can do for us. Sue

I bought some coroplast at Home Depot/lowes if you can't find any for free.

TheSun said:
Thank you for the suggestions.  I will go see a local sign maker and see what they can do for us.  Sue

Hi Sue, i would love to help. This is a great idea. I'm a sculptor and I also work with rocks and make jewelry.  Would love to have a place to play and learn from others. I'll be there for the duration. U can email me at [email protected] as I don't get on the forum that often. I can help with signs and stuff too.

I'm looking forward to doing some arts and crafts. It's somewhat intimidating to me. But, most every time I try it's been fun and enjoyable. Expecting to step out of my comfort zone a bit.

Former HS Art teacher here.  I can walk around and assist people with painting technique, color theory, the principles and elements of design etc. but as this is my first RTR, and I am still very far away, I can't commit to teaching a class or bringing supplies even though I would love to. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Latest portrait practice using grisaille technique:

Done

[img=200x250]https://s3.amazonaws.com/portrait.paintings/jj_done_cropped_800.jpg[/img]

Half Done

[img=200x250]https://s3.amazonaws.com/portrait.paintings/woman_glaze2_cropped_800.jpg[/img]

Grisaille started

[img=200x250]https://s3.amazonaws.com/portrait.paintings/reflective_man_gris2_cropped_800.jpg[/img]

Suanne said:
I'm looking forward to doing some arts and crafts.  It's somewhat intimidating to me.  But, most every time I try it's been fun and enjoyable. Expecting to step out of my comfort zone a bit
Hi Suanne, I'm hoping to bring some fun easy projects that anybody might try.  Along the lines of our name tag/buttons from last year, in terms of how easy.  Project #1 that I've thought of is, go find a nice small rock, and I'll have white and black acrylic paint to paint it like a Day of the Dead skull.  Sue

I'm excited that over a dozen people have said they can help with RTArt Camp in some way.

So far, we have several folks who are willing to teach painting classes and/or walk around and help painters with their work or who are simply looking forward to working in the presence of other artists. Once we are in Q and can have a little meeting, we can make a schedule, and it definitely should include a painting salon!

Please note, if you would like to begin painting at RTArt Camp, you'll need to bring your own supplies. Oil and acrylic paints and good brushes are too expensive for the teachers to provide. A beginners oil or acrylic kit would be adequate to start. These can be found in just about any craft store or even Walmart.

The same is true for knitting, crocheting, drawing, paper arts (stamping, scrap booking, collage, etc.), beading, etc. Bring supplies for the arts and crafts you would like to learn. There will be some donations of supplies, but probably not enough to go around to everyone sometimes, so bring what you can.

Last year, I made a run to Parker to buy acrylic paint at Walmart. We can go on a supply run if necessary. Does anyone sell art and craft supplies in Q?

Sue

akrvbob said:
I'm going to assign the "roads" at RTR colors and then put up colors on each road so everybody knows where they are. That way, we could invite all artists to camp along one road. Or, you could all camp on the north side of camp, but you would be further out from camp.

Great idea! Artists camping along one road. I love it. Thanks Bob, and Sue for stepping up to the plate. Look forward to joining you.

40 plus years experience mixed media, beadwork, jewelry, art, fashion. This is one of my Spirit Shields, an art form that integrated all the techniques I learned over the years. Tricky to make these, hand painted on deer skin. Ye old memory bank no longer remembers how I did it but I remember it involved a big tree stump and a very sharp awl.

Attachments

• Hummingbird Shield 1.jpg
    Hummingbird Shield 1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 197
Hi all,

Blaize and I have been talking about having some drop-in activities that anybody might enjoy trying, even people who don’t realize that they are artists. In past years, there has been a button machine to make an RTR name tag, and everyone enjoyed making their own personalized button. So, activities that are easy to dive into.

We’re going to bring materials for activities and ask that other RTArtists also be on the lookout for free, surplus, inexpensive, whatever you can swing. General art materials we could use include:

Colorful magazines to cut up for collage
Jars to use for paint, or to make into lanterns?
Any sort of glue or paint or sparkly stuff
Just about any sort of excess paper

Also be thinking about stuff you want to decorate while you’re at camp. I have a very fun suitcase that I use for my paints that Diane painted! And I hope to work on some interior decor while I’m at the RTR, too. (My rig is named Brownie because everything in it is brown...)

Really looking forward to this,

Sue Soaring Sun

My girlfriend and myself are both working our butts off in overdrive to get out there for our first rtr. She is an awesome painter, and I have dabbled in wire wrapping to help us make funds to get out there. I've just recently discovered this forum and this thread caught my eye, and we both just got even more drive to get out there. I'm no pro by any means, but if we do make it to q in time, I would more than gladly enjoy helping anyone with wirewrapping tips and tutorials. I'm naturally an introvert, but part of the whole idea of this adventure is to break out of our comfort zones some, and use all the skills and talents we have to be happy, and help others. As long as we make it, I will be more than happy to donate a few spools of wire to the cause! If any other wrappers would like to get in touch with me, feel free to pm me, or message my wrapping page on Facebook @LostLoonWrapsandCustoms (I hope that's alright to mention, as im not trying to advert. Just easier for me to receive notifications there.)

I'm planning on dismantling some of my old necklaces before I leave, will be happy to share those. I'm always up to learning something new.

I'm always happy to participate, especially with artsy fartsy stuff!

I'm a professional face painter. I'd be glad to teach some basics of cheek art. And Easy full faces that look spectacular. http://www.facepaintinghawaii.com . I always have my supplies with me, in case I can find work.

I design t shirts for Amazon, with computer graphics. I have an easy free tutorial to use PicMonkey if anyone wants to learn.

I'll bring my extra coloring pencils to donate. I used to hand-draw coloring sheets.
Aloha!

Oh, and I almost forgot. I can teach simple Balloon Twisting! It's a great skill to have for income opportunities on the road. Like street artist Busking. Or a few nights working for tips in a family restaurant on kids night can earn you some good money, plus free food at the diner!
I have 2 pumps, and balloons to practice with.

Plus, for the painting arts ... I can donate a bunch of plastic dishes for water containers and paint mixing.
Aloha!

I am so excited about meeting all of the talented and enthusiastic artists who are willing to make RTArt Camp a reality at RTR 2018.

Here’s what I know for sure:

I’m going to arrive on the 10th to see where Bob is putting the Art Camp and put up a sign.

We will have a Meet and Greet at noon on Thursday, the 11th, for all people who have a skill to share or who are willing to help with organizing, logistics, whatever. We will have a meeting and set up a schedule. We’ll start having some classes, sewing circles, whatever we want to do, on the following day. Also on Day 1, if the weather is nice, maybe some of the plein aire painters can hang out and attract artists to camp.

I’m planning to offer some fun drop-in activities for anybody who wants to attend. For example “Glitter Day”—people can bring any small thing from their van/RV/whatev that they want to cover in glitter. Yeah! Or Collage Trading Card Day (made on old playing cards).

I would sure like some help on coming up with easy drop-in activities that cost like next to nothing. Maybe something we can do with natural materials on site?

Thank you for the posts here, the emails, FaceBook contacts, etc. As Bob says, we’ll get ‘er done! See you in a week-and-a-half or so.

Sue Soaring Sun

TheSun said:
As a postscript to my invitation to RTArt Camp 2018, here's what I'm planning to bring:

Probably a half-dozen or more sketchbooks that I can share
A couple hundred colored pencils
Two folding tables
A sun canopy (won't hold up to rain or heavy wind)
And I can teach a class on how to draw mandalas
I'm definitely interested in the drawing and mandala class. Great idea!

Latest posts