Route 66 Road Trip

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Into Texas

Route 66 parallels the interstate most of the way through Texas. It’s not very scenic but it’s still nice to meander along a traffic free highway.

005a (3).jpg

The Tower Station and U-Drop Inn in Shamrock is the most unique and beautiful gas station on Route 66. It was built in 1936 and was a working business until 1997. The city was given the station in 1999 to use as a chamber of commerce and visitor center. It’s been restored inside and out to it’s original appearance.

054a (4).jpg

Shamrock is also the home of the Pioneer West Museum, housed in the Reynolds Hotel which was built in 1928. Each room contains exhibits about a different aspect of the area’s history. We were given a free, personal tour by a very enthusiastic volunteer. The restored Magnolia gas station, a lawyer’s office, a doctor’s home, and a building with farm and ranch equipment are located on the same corner as the museum and included in the tour. RVs can be parked on the street.

059a (2).jpg      061a.jpg

Unfortunately the Devil's Rope Museum in McLean was closed for the season so we didn’t learn any new fascinating facts about barbed wire. :-D

010a (5).jpg

This cute little gas station was the first Phillips Petroleum filling station opened in Texas. It opened in 1929 and operated for over 50 years.

014a (3).jpg

The restored Kiser Super 66 Service Station in Alanreed was built by Buddy Kiser in 1930.

021a (7).jpg

Ralph Britten, the owner of Britten’s Truck Stop in Groom, installed this leaning tower to attract business. An electrical fire closed the truck stop but the tower is here to stay.

027a (6).jpg

A giant cross and wind turbines compete on the west side of Groom. If you drive to the base of the cross (we didn’t) there’s a gift shop, life sized statues and a parking lot large enough for RVs.

033a (3).jpg

A few graffiti covered buildings still stand beside the Slug Bug Ranch, a mini copy of the Cadillac Ranch, but there’s no clue about who buried the VWs.

040a (2).jpg

It’s easy to breeze right past the Peace Park. There are no signs pointing to it and no parking lot – just pull off on the grass, plenty of room for RVs. The park has signs with dates, signs with quotes and signs honoring veterans and only one sign with the name of the builder but nothing else about him. I did find some information after searching a bit. Richard D Baker is a local farmer and retired telephone repairman who invited a group of friends to help build the park and contribute a date that had historic significance. It is left to the traveler/visitor to figure out what each date represents.

050a (2).jpg

Attachments

• 005a (3).jpg
    005a (3).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 054a (4).jpg
    054a (4).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 059a (2).jpg
    059a (2).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 061a.jpg
    061a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 010a (5).jpg
    010a (5).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 014a (3).jpg
    014a (3).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 021a (7).jpg
    021a (7).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 027a (6).jpg
    027a (6).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 033a (3).jpg
    033a (3).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 040a (2).jpg
    040a (2).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 050a (2).jpg
    050a (2).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
I always loved Roger Miller so I'm glad he has not only a museum but a FESTIVAL!  :)

Dang, I have been close so many times and didn't even know there was anything interesting up that way.  Drove on Hwy 287 a bunch and have seen the Cadillac's too many times.....  If I can remember the next time up that way it wouldn't be much out of the way to see so I can get one of the posed touristy pics with the water tower :p

B and C said:
  If I can remember the next time up that way it wouldn't be much out of the way to see so I can get one of the posed touristy pics with the water tower :p

Yes, get one of you pushing the tower over! :-D

Amarillo

As you come into Amarillo on I-40 the Big Texan is one of the first things that you see. The original restaurant was opened along Route 66 in 1960. When the interstate arrived in the early 1970s a new restaurant was built close to the highway and the giant cowboy got a helicopter ride to his new location. A stop to see the Big Texan is mandatory even if you don’t try the 72 oz. steak dinner challenge. :p

037a (4).jpg

The big green dinosaur, “Tex Rex”, was installed by the sons of the founder in memory of a vacation trip along Route 66 and a roadside attraction featuring big dinosaurs. Plenty of parking for RVs.

033_thumb3.jpg

And then back on Route 66 for a drive through the city. Amarillo has not fully embraced old Route 66 but there are a few old buildings and signs left.

059a (3).jpg

Cultural attractions are a bit slim. The small and always free Amarillo Museum of Art is worth a stop. The main exhibit galleries contain Asian art collected and donated by a local couple, Dr. and Mrs. Price. We really enjoyed the special exhibit Chris Jordan: Running the Numbers about consumption and waste in the US.

A close look at this copy of Seurat’s “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte” reveals that it is made from photographs of 106,000 of tiny soda and drink cans – the amount used in the US every 30 seconds!

022a (4).jpg                                               

Medical Center Park is part of a complex that includes the Amarillo Botanical Gardens , a small but well tended garden. Medical Center Park has picnic tables and  mile long paved walking trail which circles a small lake.

095_thumb1.jpg

The garden has meandering paved trails and a conservatory which houses tropical plants in a very jungle like atmosphere.

074a.jpg

Jack Sisemore and his son Trent began collecting and restoring unusual vintage RVs 25 years ago. The RVs are on display in the free Traveland RV Museum at Jack Sisemore's Traveland RV Dealership. The collection includes some very rare RVs. Visitors are permitted to climb inside most of them. The lot is small so larger RVs may not fit.

053a (2).jpg     049_thumb1.jpg

The Cadillac Ranch Gift Shop is taking advantage of it’s close location to the ranch to sell souvenirs and spray paint. The cars and a giant cowboy makes a good photo stop.

058a (2).jpg

Cadillac Ranch was the creation of a partnership between Amarillo billionaire Stanley Marsh and the Ant Farm, a group of artists. Ten Cadillacs are buried halfway into the ground at the same angle as the Great Pyramid of Giza. They’ve been there since 1974 and have lost parts over the years but gained many layers of paint. Most visitors can not resist adding their name, soon be obliterated by the next can of spray paint.  The pull off along the side of the road is large enough for RVs

061a (2).jpg

Attachments

• 037a (4).jpg
    037a (4).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • 033_thumb3.jpg
    033_thumb3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 059a (3).jpg
    059a (3).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 022a (4).jpg
    022a (4).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 074a.jpg
    074a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 095_thumb1.jpg
    095_thumb1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 053a (2).jpg
    053a (2).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 049_thumb1.jpg
    049_thumb1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 058a (2).jpg
    058a (2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 061a (2).jpg
    061a (2).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1
Are you guys going all the way through AZ? Spent a couple months parked up just off 66, and drove most of it from Flag to the river. Can give you some thoughts and a place i know to park-up in Ash Fork if needed.

LowTech said:
Are you guys going all the way through AZ? Spent a couple months parked up just off 66, and drove most of it from Flag to the river. Can give you some thoughts and a place i know to park-up in Ash Fork if needed.

Yes, we're going all the way to California. I'm not sure how long we'll be able to stay in Arizona. We were in Flagstaff once in the winter and had to wait out a storm so we may be making a quick dash across the mountains.  Any suggestions for parking spots are welcome!

So, full disclosure, I didn't do any of the Bellemont to Deer Farm section. The only time I went towards Flag was to get parts.

The area I know more of is from Ash Fork to the River. If you make it to Ash Fork you're down in the 5K foot range and winter is not too bad. ;-)
In AF some friends of mine have a Reality on the corner of Park & 8th, where 66 turns and goes down to a dead end. Downtown is two 1 way streets, so coming from the East you'd be on the street farthest from the building and a little hard to see. If the 1 way streets come back together you've just passed it. The location shows on G-maps as "Country Life Reality".
They have traveled a lot and have done a few different builds, some of the latest have been ambos, both a Ford and a Freightliner.
The southern side of the property puts you the most out of the way. Someone else has a small toy hauler parked there and I just pull in parallel to it.
I'll drop them a note and say that you "might" stop in.

Ash Fork has it's own history as a Rail Road town, and the area that a major amount of Arizona Flagstone comes from.

From there you're back on the "I" until the cut-off to Seligman. From Seligman to Kingman I enjoy the route (this from someone who didn't do any stopping ;) ). If I did stop it would have been at the "caverns" and the "animal park".

Kingman to the base of the mountains I find boring, open, and flat. The road going up the mtns to Oatman is often 1.5 lanes so watch ahead for other vehicles. I've taken our trucks (and trailers) that way several times so you'll have no problems w/ size.  
 There's a big dirt lot on the far side of town (on left) and the burros wont be in town until after the morning gun fight in the street (kind of like their dinner bell), if they are still doing that off-season. You could prob boondock in this lot as well.

Next good park-up is where 66/19/Outman-Toprock Hwy and Oatman Rd/153 split. Big dirt space in the split.
 I haven't taken 66 to Toprock because I cross the river up in Needles.

The Rest of Texas

West of Amarillo the road climbs slowly through the Staked Plain, a 37,500 square mile mesa that covers half of the panhandle and extends into New Mexico. It’s hot in summer, cold in the winter, gets very little rain…

081a.jpg

and the wind blows all of the time! Texas makes good use all of the wind. One turbine will provide power for 225 – 300 households.

088a.jpg

It’s a hard, desolate place and we wonder about the story behind each abandoned farm house. 

095a (2).jpg

The population of Vega, Texas never reached 1,000 but it’s status as the county seat has kept it alive. The 1920’s Magnolia Service Station on Main Street has been completely restored by local contractors and dedicated volunteers. Displays inside can be viewed by peeking in the windows.

076a (2).jpg     068a.jpg

The Milburn - Price Culture Museum, with a beautiful mural on the side, is just a block west of the gas station. This little free museum has items donated by the local community.

070a.jpg      073a.jpg

In the 1940s Dot Levitt and her husband opened a small store near Route 66. The store closed after the interstate bypassed Vega but Dot still welcomed visitors at Dot’s Mini Museum to see her collection of western artifacts and other memorabilia. Dot passed away but her daughter has kept the museum opened. It was closed when we stopped.

080a (2).jpg

We hit the halfway point! 1,139 east to Chicago and west to Los Angeles. We started at the end of September so we’ve been driving along Route 66 for more than a month and a half and we’re 3/4 of the way down the list of interesting points on my map. The west has more empty spaces than the east so we’ll probably see the Pacific Ocean by the year’s end. 

The midpoint, little Adrian, Texas, is home of the MidPoint Café, closed for the season; Sunflower Station antique and gift shop, closed until a new owner comes along; and the Fabulous 40 Motel, just plain closed.

105a.jpg

There was so little traffic that we could park in the street to take this picture.

112a.jpg

Attachments

• 081a.jpg
    081a.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1
  • 088a.jpg
    088a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 095a (2).jpg
    095a (2).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 076a (2).jpg
    076a (2).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 068a.jpg
    068a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 070a.jpg
    070a.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • 073a.jpg
    073a.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • 080a (2).jpg
    080a (2).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 105a.jpg
    105a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 112a.jpg
    112a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
Texas/New Mexico Border

Glenrio is a ghost town. At the most two person and a number of dogs are the only inhabitants. In all fairness Glenrio was never an actual town. It existed solely to supply services for travelers along Route 66. During the 40s, 50s and 60s traffic streamed through town, filling the gas station, bar, restaurant and motel parking lots, then one day in 1975 everything stopped.

115a.jpg     117a.jpg    118a.jpg     119a.jpg

The pavement ends and a dirt road continues into New Mexico so we’re on the interstate for awhile.

The free Russell's Truck And Travel Museum is located inside the travel center. There isn’t a sign on the outside indicating  where to go but it’s straight back from the front entrance. The museum includes over two dozen beautifully restored cars and trucks plus Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, M&M and Route 66 memorabilia.

130a.jpg     131a.jpg

Back on Route 66 the semi ghost town of San Jon has a nice little city park with free overnight RV parking.

134a.jpg

Attachments

• 115a.jpg
    115a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 117a.jpg
    117a.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 118a.jpg
    118a.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 119a.jpg
    119a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 130a.jpg
    130a.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 131a.jpg
    131a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 134a.jpg
    134a.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2
Man, look at all those beautiful cars!!! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Jacob the baby Jane is holding was a few months old Nico his older brother was 3 I guess that makes this photo 22 years old pre-digital cam. My old 62 airstream in the background many fond memories

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Tucumcari Part 1

Tucumcari is the largest city between Amarillo and Albuquerque so it’s always been a popular stop for travelers. Although there are no longer 2000 motel rooms as touted on old billboards there are still plenty of places to stay overnight, either at the newer motels along the interstate or at the classic 1940s motels along Route 66. This is one detour off of the interstate that every traveler should make.

We stayed at the Cactus RV Park so that we could see the neon signs at night. The RV park is located in the courtyard of the closed Cactus Motor Lodge. The RV park is very well tended and the motel buildings still look fairly sturdy even though they’re not in use. The park is an overnight stop for most people and doesn’t have many amenities but each site does have full hookups. We had very fast WiFi at our site.

001a (6).jpg

Most of the motel signs have not been restored so we didn’t get many night pictures.

The Blue Swallow Motel has been in business since 1940.

171a.jpg

Tee Pee Curios, built in 1944, was a gas station, grocery, and souvenir shop. When Route 66 was widened in 1959, the tepee entrance was added and the pumps removed

146a (2).jpg

The Americana, originally the 1935 Desert Air Motel, has a great neon sign.

154a.jpg

The Palomino opened in 1953 and unfortunately the sign isn’t completely light any more.

007a (6).jpg

The Motel Safari was built in 1959.

014a (4).jpg

The Buckaroo Motel, with another great sign, opened in 1952.

029a (3).jpg

La Cita has been serving travelers Mexican food since 1961.

065a (2).jpg

Even the closed business have interesting signs.

068a (2).jpg

Most of the gas stations have been restored and some are being used for other businesses.

033a (4).jpg

Attachments

• 001a (6).jpg
    001a (6).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 171a.jpg
    171a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 146a (2).jpg
    146a (2).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 154a.jpg