Route 66 Road Trip

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow
When we asked for pics , you posted 'em big time !
Enjoyed the tour and comments , I'll NEVER get to see those parts as I get traffic anxiety and avoid all cities like the plague.

Thanks
And don't forget to watch out for idiots on the road!

Wishing you a safe passage through the high country.
Up here in Maine the natives just get off the road and wait it out when it snows and let the flatlanders do all the sliding.

We hung around Joliet for a few days waiting to meet up with friends who were crossing our path. After a nice visit we saw them off on their way east and we're back on our trip along Route 66. We traveled from Joliet to Pontiac today. 

Old Joliet Prison  was built in 1858. They made the inmates build their own prison. It's been closed since 2002. It's  a cool looking building but there's no access to the interior and no plans to open it to the public. There are some signs with information along the edge of the big parking lot.

006a.jpg

Bluesmobile on a Pole - this replica of the car from
The Blues Brothers movie is located at the Food N
Fuel along 66.

024a (2).jpg

Most of these large fiberglass men held mufflers but the
Gemini Giant was bought new for The Launching Pad
Restaurant and has always held a rocket. The restaurant
is closed but you can still pull into the lot and get a
picture.

031a.jpg

We aren't sure what this is all about. A group of animals made of various scrap materials are surrounded by a fence
in a little park in Braidwood. The entrance to the parking lot is narrow so RVs should park on the street.

035a.jpg

The Polk-A-Dot Drive-In has been in business since
1956. The parking lot has room for RVs.

037a (2).jpg

Two cell jail -  The jail was mainly used to house hobos who were welcome to find work during the day but
spent the night in jail.

042a (2).jpg

At the same location as the jail - this diner was original a horse drawn trolley.  Room for RVs in the lot on along the street.

043a.jpg

Ambler's Texaco was a gas station from 1933 until 1999 then an auto repair shop until 2002. It's now a visitor center.  Room for RVs in the lot.

047a.jpg   051a.jpg

I have no information on this place. It's just down the road from Amblers.

054a.jpg

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 024a (2).jpg
    024a (2).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 031a.jpg
    031a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 035a.jpg
    035a.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 037a (2).jpg
    037a (2).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 042a (2).jpg
    042a (2).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 043a.jpg
    043a.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 047a.jpg
    047a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 051a.jpg
    051a.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 054a.jpg
    054a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
Great story and pic's. Thx for sharing.

I used to do prisoner transfers to that prison back in the early 80's, what a horrific place, so glad they shut it down. Maybe someday, if the state is ever not bankrupt they can open parts of it to the public... it has a similar rep to Alcatraz so I think there would be interest.

Pontiac, Illinois is a mandatory stop for all road trippers and van dwellers! :)  Not only are there three free museums and a walking tour featuring 23 very cool murals,  one of the museums has the van and bus of the most famous vandweller of Route 66, Bob Waldmire.

011a.jpg

Bob's VW van with all of his stuff still inside and  untouched is lovingly preserved in the Illinois Route 66 Hall of Fame & Museum  (this is not the official website. I keep getting a virus warning on that one so be cautious) 

001a (3).jpg

The glare on the plexiglass made it hard to get a picture of the inside but look for the sleeping bag on the bed in the
center of the picture.

002a.jpg

His bus is located behind the museum and is sometimes opened for tours.

010a.jpg

Pontiac - Oakland Auto Museum iis fairly small but the cars are meticulously restored.

020a.jpg

021a.jpg

The third museum is unusual and surprisingly interesting - Museum of the Gilding Arts It covers the process of making sheets of gold and how and where gilding is used. There's even eatable gold.

028a (2).jpg

023a.jpg

The murals are excellent.  I'd post more but only ten pictures are allowed per post so you'll have to go see them
yourself  :) or click on the link.

013a (2).jpg

Don't try this photo op with a big RV. We almost got stuck. :-D

043a (2).jpg

A free city parking lot is located across from the Route 66 Museum. Most RVs will fit. Pontiac is fairy compact so it's possible to walk from that lot to all of the museums.

The Walmart in Pontiac is a good overnight stop.

Attachments

• 001a (3).jpg
    001a (3).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 3
  • 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 020a.jpg
    020a.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 021a.jpg
    021a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1
  • 028a (2).jpg
    028a (2).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 013a (2).jpg
    013a (2).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 043a (2).jpg
    043a (2).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
Spent the better part of a day in Pontiac a couple of years ago.  T&K are right it is well worth stopping to see the museums and things.

Well now, that bus is some new inspiration for those who want a wooden roof on their rig! Of course, the speed limit would have been much less back then I'm sure, but in my mind I see random boards flying off as the bus heads out on the highway. LOL

That bus is awesome. What do you guys figure it gets - 'bout 3 MPG?

I'm on 66 in western Oklahoma. There's a few neat museums around here. Let me know when you're in the area. :) And cool, you'll be seeing the museum in my town. :D

Theadyn - I'll definitely let you know when we get to western Oklahoma but just in case I forget if you see we're getting close remind me. And if you're feeling up to socializing :) maybe we can get together for a visit.

Pontiac to Atlanta

Route 66 was improved and widened during the 1950s and by 1957 it was a four lane highway all the way
through Illinois, from Chicago to St. Louis. In some areas two lanes of Route 66 were paved over by I-55
however other sections were just closed down so now two lanes of unused highway parallel the two lanes of
Route 66. It's strange to see this completely empty road alongside Route 66.

001aa.jpg

To cope with all of the traffic a new police station was built in 1941. It was in use until 2004. An aerial view is
required to see why this rather dull looking station should have it’s own Route 66 sign. It’s shaped like a gun!
Parking and turn around room for RVs.

005aa.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

Because the four lanes bypassed many of the little towns there isn't a lot to see on this section of the road
but the collection of eclectic attractions in Atlanta is worth a stop. This tiny town of had it's start as a service
center for the area farmers. The establishment of Route 66 in 1926 brought a short boom that only lasted
20 years but now there's an attempt to revive the town and attract Route 66 tourists. Room for RVs to park
on the street or in the library lot.

Hot Dog Giant and Smiley Face water tower

045aa.jpg

059aa.jpg

Palms Grill-originally opened in 1934 renovated in 2009

049aa.jpg

Octagon library

054aa.jpg

J. H. Hawes Grain Elevator Museum – the elevator is only opened for tours on Sunday but an informative,
self guided walking tour is available at any time. RVs will fit in the lot or on the street.

053aa.jpg

We stayed overnight at the Lincoln Walmart. Do not stay in Bloomington. We've never had any problems 
staying at Walmarts. If there are No Overnight RV signs we don't stay but this one seems way over the top
Allstays report

Attachments

• 001aa.jpg
    001aa.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 005aa.jpg
    005aa.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 045aa.jpg
    045aa.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 059aa.jpg
    059aa.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 049aa.jpg
    049aa.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 054aa.jpg
    054aa.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 053aa.jpg
    053aa.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
tonyandkaren said:
Theadyn - I'll definitely let you know when we get to western Oklahoma but just in case I forget if you see we're getting close remind me. And if you're feeling up to socializing :) maybe we can get together for a visit.

Will do, and that would be great! :)

Lincoln and Springfield

As to be expected Lincoln is a big deal around here both figuratively and literally.  Lincolin, Illinois was named to honor Lincoln after he gave legal advice to his friends who founded the town. The college has a nice little museum that gives a good overview of Lincoln's life. The presentation is a bit creepy. In the main exhibit visitors enter Lincoln's box at Ford theater just before he is shot, then follow his life through a series of darkened rooms that come alive with audio and visual displays. The last room features a death bed scene. The main exhibit is timed with a tour starting every half hour but there are other exhibits to see if you have to wait for a tour to start. Admission is $5.00. The parking lot is huge.

063aa.jpg

For a less somber experience visit the other big Lincoln attraction in town. A giant Abe on an giant covered wagon! Very large parking lot.

066aa.jpg 

Lincoln has lost all of it’s old Route 66 era buildings except for The Mill, which opened in 1929 as a Dutch themed restaurant. The Mill has been empty since 1996 but an effort is being made to save and restore it.  Enough room to pull over and stop.

073aa.jpg

Lincoln lived and worked in Springfield for 25 years so there's a lot to see. We passed through Springfield a few years ago, visited some places then and saw more this time through but there's much more that we skipped.

A 30’ tall Abe made by a local man for the 1968 Illinois Sesquicentennial. Drive into the state fairgrounds at gate 1 and park on the right side of the road to view the statue

002aa.jpg

The Lincoln Home National Historic Site preserves the home where Abraham and Sarah Lincoln lived when he practiced law in Springfield. The Lincoln home is opened for guided tours. The houses along two blocks of Eighth Street have been restored and two of them have exhibits inside. The visitor center has a film and a few exhibits. This is a good one because it's completely free. There is a parking fee of $2.00 an hour and a special lot for buses and RVs.

023aa.jpg

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum - This is more an experience than a museum. The story of Lincoln’s life is told with dioramas featuring realistic full size figures and elaborately detailed scenes. Overall it’s very well done but lacking in substance. A parking garage is located north, in the next block, on the opposite side of the street. The garage also has a lot for buses and RVs – $5.00 a day.

018_thumb%255B3%255D.jpg

The Illinois State Museum  is another free museum. It covers the natural and human history of Illinois. A free parking lot is located on Edwards Street, one block west of the museum. Large RVs will not fit in this lot but there are metered parking spaces along the street. Visit on the weekends to avoid traffic and crowds. Visitors can park in either of the large State parking lots to the east and west of the building on weekends and State holidays.

011_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg

Springfield is losing one of it's Route 66 icons - http://www.oldgas.com/info/sheasroute66.htmlShea's Gas Station Route 66 Museum. Bill Shea and his wife Helen run a gas station at this location for years and when he retired Bill made it into a museum to showcase his extensive collection of Route 66 memorabilia. Bill died it 2013 and an auction is scheduled for this weekend.

005ab.jpg

Fortunately the patriotic giant at Lauterbach Tires isn't going anywhere!

013ab.jpg

One last stop before we leave Springfield - Cozy Dog Drive-In - home of the deep fried corn dog and owned by the family of the famous vanswelling artist Bob Waldmire.  In the best interest of our health we've been avoiding road food but Cozy Dog was calling. :-D  A mistake?  Let's just say we'll be ordering an ice cream cone the next time we want to see the decor of another roadside diner!  Cozy Dog does have a lot of cool Route 66 memorabilia though.
The parking lot is small so if you have a RV you might want to skip this stop.

002ab.jpg

004ab.jpg

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismsites/main/

Attachments

• 063aa.jpg
    063aa.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 066aa.jpg
    066aa.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 073aa.jpg
    073aa.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 002aa.jpg
    002aa.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
  • 023aa.jpg
    023aa.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 018_thumb%255B3%255D.jpg
    018_thumb%255B3%255D.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 011_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg
    011_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 005ab.jpg
    005ab.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 013ab.jpg
    013ab.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 002ab.jpg
    002ab.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 004ab.jpg
    004ab.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3
Wish I'd thought of it before you got to Springfield, best baked ravioli ever is at Saputos, a totally retro 1950's style Italian restaurant downtown not far from the Lincoln museum.  The kind of place where cheese and fat are good things and the salad is a handful of iceberg lettuce with one tiny sliver of tomato drifting around somewhere.  :p

We decided take part of the 1926-30 route which is now Highway 4 and zigzags through little country towns rather than the post 1930 route which parallels I-55. Some of the original road surfaces have never been paved over like this section of brick.

014ab.jpg

or this section of concrete with turkey tracks from 1926!

027ab.jpg

In the late 1800s the little towns strung out along Hwy. 4 were all coal mining camps. Poor working conditions and low pay led to unionizing efforts by the miners, strike breaking maneuvers by the companies and violence on both sides. One of the worst confrontations happened in Virden in 1898. Eight miners and five company guards were killed. A monument in the town square in Virden commemorates the incident. RVs can be parked on the side streets.

021ab.jpg

Farther south in Mount Olive, Illinois -  the miner’s union raised the money to build a monument for 
Mary Harris Jones, a very influential union organizer, affectionately know as “Mother Jones”. She’s buried, as she wished, in the Union Miners Cemetery alongside the miners who had died in the 1898 Battle of Virden. The parking area is large enough for RVs.

014.jpg

The magnificent Maricopa County Courthouse in Carlinville was supposed to cost $50,000.00 when construction began in 1867. By the time it was finished in 1870 $1,342,226.31 had been spent!  The 1869 jail across the street in being restored for tourists to visit. RVs can be parked in the lot beside the old jail.

031ab.jpg

The Ariston Café has been on Route 66 in Litchfield since 1935. RVs can be parked on the street.

004ab (2).jpg

The Soulsby Service Station, built by Henry Soulsby, was in operation from 1926 until 1993. It’s been restored to it’s 1930’s appearance. The bare wood interior contains a random collection of old items. The parking area is large enough for RVs.

030a (4).jpg

Rich and Linda Henry’s Rabbit Ranch has both live bunny rabbits and Volkswagen Rabbits. The bunnies live in cages in the gift shop and the VW Rabbits are stuck head first in the ground just like the Cadillacs at Cadillac Ranch. The Henrys are Route 66 enthusiasts and the rabbit ranch/gift shop (built by Rich in 1995 to look like an old gas station) is a hobby so stop in for the stories or to pick up a souvenir.  RVs can fit into the parking area but turn around space is tight. 

053a (4).jpg

046a (3).jpg

Attachments

• 014ab.jpg
    014ab.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 027ab.jpg
    027ab.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 021ab.jpg
    021ab.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 031ab.jpg
    031ab.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 004ab (2).jpg
    004ab (2).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 030a (4).jpg
    030a (4).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 053a (4).jpg
    053a (4).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 046a (3).jpg
    046a (3).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2
very cool I love it. that brick road and the turkey tracks were way cool. nowadays they would have had to rip up the road with the turkey tracks because it wouldn't be up to spec, hell heaven forbid if a turkey actually pooped on the wet concrete. then it would be considered hazardous waste. anyhow very cool of you guys to take the time and do this. highdesertranger

It's a lot of fun highdesertranger. Kind of like a cross-country scavenger hunt. We're lucky that we have all the time in the world to do this and can go slow. Some people have only a few weeks and miss a lot.