Roof Vent Install Ideas needed.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkookumB

Reaction score
So this week I am receiving a Maxxfan to install on my Minivan conversion.  The problem I am facing is the roof has two corrugations that I have to install over.  Wondering how you folks have approached this kind of situation.  I have a piece of 16"x16" vinyl that's about .25" thick, I might be able to make a gasket out of it.  Or should I just bend the sheet metal flat and mount the vent directly onto the roof?

Anyways curious to hear suggestions before I start going to work.

Attachments

• 20190304_130057_HDR_resized.jpg
    20190304_130057_HDR_resized.jpg
    514.2 KB

In this video he just stacked up a few layers of butyl tape?

before you install check the bottom under the roof liner to make sure there are no support beams/wires in the area, I learn the hard way. 

Make sure you do a good job during the installation because I installed 4 vents on my roof (3 usable/ 1 by mistake) and 4 years later I got a leak in my roof somewhere. Everytime it rains I get water in my van.  I use the butyl tape and added sealant around the areas also. I thought I did a good job, but years later wish I never messed with the roof vents.

I don't even use the vents, I covered them up because I find them useless when its hot. Now I use side vents. I think roof area is better for installing solar panels. Without those vents my panel would have been flushed with the roof.

roof vents (vortex fan under solar panel, 2x 9" in vents in forward area, and 1 on side near fwd solar panel that is over a support beam unusable)
roof panel.jpg

side vents
side vents.jpg

Attachments

• roof panel.jpg
    roof panel.jpg
    110.8 KB
  • side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB