Roof vent fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few questions. Looking to put a roof vent in with fan

1. How does it secure and not leak. 
2. Brand names? Cheapest for now
3. Other ways to keep cool. Only windows we have are 2 front windows

Spelling helps Google, MaxxAir

IMO, don't cheap out on something you're cutting holes in your van for

We have the Fantastic Vent fan. We chose that because we've had them in the past and were very happy with them. We also put on a vent cover. Hopefully it'll help if we forget to close the vent in the rain.

We put in two 4 inch floor vents (sealed with deck plates). With the roof fan blowing outwards, the vents open and the front windows cracked with rain guards, the ventilation is great. Also, since you can't see that the front windows are cracked because of the rain guards, we can be completely below the radar as far as someone occupying the vehicle.

But, our vehicle is so weird looking, there is no way that we're unnoticed.

Don't go cheap on the roof vent. I did and next winter the cheap one with the one speed noisy as hell fan will be replaced by a good one.

I put a Camco roof vent cover over my roof vent and it is a winner. If I could get on the roof, I can remove the rear facing screened vent for cleaning the whole inside of the vent cover and the top of the vent itself.

Some people go the expensive route and put in a vent that has a built in 'rain detector'....I'm rather leery of the effectiveness of one, since it doesn't close the vent until AFTER it detects rains. I'd prefer something that prevents rain entry rather than another electronic gadget that sooner or later will need attention.

Use the good beige butyl tape from a marine source rather than the standard gray stuff you find at most RV places. Maybe a little more pricey but good for 20 year life expectancy rather than 10 for the gray.

My only other piece of advice is to try not to locate the vent over your bed area, particularly if you don't put a vent cover in place.

+1 for the "don't go cheap" advice.

Leaks will ruin your van, and having to re-do the installation just sucks...

We had our Maxxair for almost a year and we really like it. Favourite feature: the built-in rain cover. It's VERY nice having ventilation when it's raining and damp.

We detailed the installation process throughout:
http://faroutride.com/fan-installation/

Hope that helps,
antoine

I will agree with others, go cheap and you will be sorry. One cheap temporary solution would be to get a 12 volt fan such as https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-0...F8&qid=1491925926&sr=8-3&keywords=12-volt+fan and fasten it to an existing vent. When your budget allows you to make an improvement, You will have a table top fan that you can use inside.

On my 1983 Dodge Van, there is a floor air vent that can be opened on the drivers side. Pulling a lever back opens it up. I think this would be better than an open window as far as bugs were concerned.

Unless you use really high quality sealant correctly it will eventually leak. Unless you use really high quality components they will eventually crack or break and leak. Hopefully it won't leak until after you have sold it, at least that is how RV manufactures think or they wouldn't put them on the top of the roof even though they let out hot air best there.

Latest posts