Roof racks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynesworld

Reaction score
I have been hesitant about putting a roof rack on my Ford E 350 because I value stealth but the concern I have most is, what will it do to my gas milage and do any of you have any vibration issues ? Thanks for any input;  Wayne

Welcome waynesworld to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

you will take a hit in your mpg no doubt. how much depends on the type of rack and your driving habits. to me stealth is way over rated, I don't believe you can hide from anybody who wants to know. highdesertranger

I agree on stealth being over rated. Just because LE doesn't hassle you doesn't mean you fooled them. Anymore they probably have infrared sensors that can tell who is in a building or a van.

On vibration, My conversion van came with a rear cargo carrier. At night when the wind blew the tubing would rattle inside of it's holder and make a buzzing noise inside. I filled the gaps between the tubing and holders with electrical tape. Nice and quiet now. The slower you drive, the less wind resistance plays a major part.

On my first Van I had a cargo carrier on the back of the roof with a ladder on the right rear door to access it.
I noticed that I was getting this buzzing vibration from it from time to time.   This would go on most of the summer of that year and usually during mid morning.   The cross pieces were stamped steel, but the side structures were aluminum tubing that were stamped flat on the ends or bolted up to where no air could enter them. 

In time I came to realize that when the temperature was between 65 and 70 degrees F,  that that's when the
buzzing vibration would begin.   Above those temperatures or below it didn't happen. 

The roof rack looked something like this:

$_1.JPG

I later purchased a pair of Ladder Racks that looked to be made by the
same company.  I cleaned and painted them to where they looked like new
and took one of them and placed it at the front of the roof directly over the driver &
passengers seat.  

Those racks looked something like these.  I only used one of the two at the front.

guttered-roof-bars.jpg

I never got any vibration or buzzing sounds out of it.  My reason for putting it there in the first place was to
attach my awning to it on the right side of the Van. (as seen in my Van Conversion website below) 

Never could figure what the temperatures had to do with the luggage rack on the back though....but I could
bet on that happening every time the temperatures were in that range.

I bought a pair off of amazon. They worked real good. The did make a little noise when I had them on the high setting on bottom setting they were less noisy. They did cut down  mileage about 1mpg.   Took them off before we headed out west to save on gas and forgot to put them in the van before we left. So we saved about as much in fuel as the rack will cost again if I need one.

I found a double aluminum lock down ladder rack for $60 at a junkyard. Its in perfectly good shape but the clips (please excuse me if thats not the proper name) that attach them to the van were missing. I have checked websites suchas AV, KM even Adrian Steel but cant find any. They resemble the black thingy in eDJ's pic. Any advice on where to find or possibly a substitute.

My plan is to attach it to van and then attach a cpl of abs water tubes, solar panels to the ladder rack then camouflage with a couples of ladders to keep my "plumbers look"

Just installing subaru factory aero dynamic cross bars on my Crosstrek and prior Outback lowered my highway MPG by 2. It also increased cabin noise at highway speeds in both vehicles. When I add my roof top basket to the cross bars I lose another 2 MPG and that's just an empty basket. With a fully loaded roof rack on a recent trip to Mammoth my Crosstrek registered 25 MPG. I make that trip empty all the time and get 32....

Deal Breaker said:
Just installing subaru factory aero dynamic cross bars on my Crosstrek and prior Outback lowered my highway MPG by 2. It also increased cabin noise at highway speeds in both vehicles. When I add my roof top basket to the cross bars I lose another 2 MPG and that's just an empty basket. With a fully loaded roof rack on a recent trip to Mammoth my Crosstrek registered 25 MPG. I make that trip empty all the time and get 32....

Thanks Deal Breaker
Thats a loss of mpg for sure. On a good day I only get 17 mpg on strait flat highway. in the city only 14 mpg. even though gas prices are acceptable right now I don't think I would want to loose up to 4mpg. Ive gone 3 years without a rack so maybe i'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. Thanks again !
Wayne

Latest posts