roof cargo basket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Looking to manufacture a large 4 x 8 foot cargo basket for a flat roof prefer aluminum, any ideas?

use 2 x 2's on bottom at perimeter and 2 x 2's directly on top to sandwich the mesh along the edge using three inch deck screws. toggle bolt this structure into the roof.

tx2sturgis said:
Will that leave room for solar panels? Or will the panels be mounted on the roof basket?

pretty sure this would have to be treated for rust

I built a rack for a utility trailer out of damaged "easy up" shade structures that had been tossed after a wind storm. Had a duffle bag full of nuts,, bolts, washers and corner brackets. Used self drilling screws when needed. It is really thin steel tubing so light weight but if braced every few feet really strong. We carried kayaks and all kinds of heavy items were strapped on them. We sometimes trimmed the top rails with a 2'x4" lumber so we could screw down sheets of plywood when transporting. We later bought a "Safari" rack that wasn't as strong or easy to attach tie downs to as was our previous home made free rack built from dumpster parts. Also Harbor Freight sells an aluminum reciever basket that can be modified that on sale was less than $60.

Some great ideas here thank you all I think a solar panel will be in the basket using wood and tubing to minimize screwing into the roof sounds like a good idea I like on the cheap ideas. perhaps 6" sides enough for cargo tiedowns I just hate the oops I should have done this or that so a well tought out simple start will work also taking water pooling into account.

wagoneer said:
Some great ideas here thank you all I think a solar panel will be in the basket using wood and tubing to minimize screwing into the roof sounds like a good idea I like on the cheap ideas. perhaps 6" sides enough for cargo tiedowns I just hate the oops I should have done this or that so a well tought out simple start will work also taking water pooling into account.

the roof

Attachments

• the roof.jpg
    the roof.jpg
    286.4 KB
I am thinking flat extruded aluminum sandwiched 4 x 6 with the solar panel in front of the basket. Redwood or pressure treated.

I used a harbor freight cargo carrier as a basket on top of campurban, made it to fit. After checking prices on "regular cargo boxes for the roof , I did the HF for 38.00 bucks

Attachments

• campurban 009.JPG
    campurban 009.JPG
    685.5 KB

Latest posts