Robin Williams Has Committed Suicide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastTense

Reaction score
"US actor Robin Williams has been found dead, aged 63, in an apparent suicide, California police say.

Marin County Police said he was pronounced dead at his home shortly after officials responded to an emergency call around noon local time.

Williams was famous for films such as Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society and won an Oscar for his role in Good Will Hunting.

His publicist said he had been "battling severe depression".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28749702

A lot of celebrities seem to die of drug overdoses or commit suicide--but this really surprised me.

Been watching this ever since:

Hits right at home. Lost a giant for sure. :(

Robin, you should not have done that. I'm 5 yrs. younger than you so you've been a part of my life and i'll truly miss you. Ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that.

The five stages of grief:
Shock
Denial
Anger
Acceptance
Move on

I'm already on no. 3 Robin. You should not of done that.

Depression is a tough thing. Medication helps but dulls the senses. For a comic genius like Robin Williams that was probably more than he could handle. I'm in shock.

Sad to read of this. Hopefully the news will come out with more than the current very sparse details.
Best thing I watched him in was the very under-appreciated movie where he played Popeye, the Sailor. He played it like the old pre-WWII Popeye - superb!

I never cared for his improv, but then I generally don't care for improv at all.

DC Fuse said:
Robin, you should not have done that. .

Robin was onna my all-time favorites. I loved his crazy energy levels.
This goes hand-in-hand with his manic depressive personality.
Either he was up and flying high...or he was crashing. It's pretty easy to figure out that he was crashing these last few days.

Unfortunately, I think that taking your own life is the most SELFISH thing a person can possibly do. (unless you have a terminal disease...which he did not.)

and because of this...I've now lost ALL of my respect for the man and his work. He took the punk's way out.

I agree wholeheartedly with DC. Robin, you should not have done that.

Patrick46, I would ask you to please reconsider your sentiments toward Robin taking his life. Suicide is a irrational act. You are thinking rationally.
My hope is you are at #3 yourself and in coming days can accept this loss and try to remember the laughs Robin gave us all. Yes, it's a selfish act. How many of us could do no more then just leave home and be recognized w/smiles and affection as Robin could. People the world over know of and like Robin. It appears on the surface he had everything to live for but, short of a medical issue we at this point don't know of, he saw no other way. Just sad.

Before this happened try to think what you would've said to him had you ran into him say on vacation at Coos Bay,Or. and remember him that way.

Prisoner Of Knowledge said:
You're wrong Patrick. Alcoholism is a terminal disease. Do your homework.

I've found nothing regarding this. ^^^

having known several people who've taken their own lives, and dealing with my own depression, I think I have a fair idea of where I stand on suicide. I've done my homework.

YES, this is a sad & terrible loss. So much creativity, all lost in vain.

but how about his wife, the family members, and loved ones left behind in the wake of his devastating actions?? One can only imgine what they're going through right now.
They're the ones I feel for.

Have had depression lots. Don't really understand suicide. Something else will get you. There is too much beauty in life yet to see. But did not know him. Only his work. Must have had some nasty demons

I've watched and read a lot of posts and videos with regard To Mr. Williams' passing. This one really spoke to me.

Quoted from the movie, "Jack"
"Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did."

They showed an interview of him years back saying any day above ground is a good day. It at first seems baffling but it goes to show that depression is not some bs issue and we should pay attention and have understanding towards our friends and family. Many people are of the opinion that because he had so much how could he be anything but happy as hell. That's not how it is, he was sick.

On another forum site I frequent, they linked to a video with Robin interacting with Koko the Gorilla. This gorilla knows many English words and can communicate in American Sign Language. The two of them had a wonderful time - like two big kids frolicking and playing. Sad that such a kind heart was so troubled.

Latest posts