Roads Less Traveled

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay bee

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m planning for a leisurely drive to the WRTR (I’d rather avoid interstate freeways & highways). So after cutting thru the rez and hitting Flagstaff, my cat & I plan to take AZ 89a down thru Sedona & Cottonwood to Prescott, then AZ 89 thru Wilhoit, Yarnell, & Congress, then AZ 71 and other back roads, thru Bouse to gps coordinates 33.827526 -114.054367. I’ve found on Google Maps after I type in the destination & hit “directions”, I can then choose “walking” (rather than car, train, bicycle etc.) because “walking” mode actually saves you lots of miles (in this case, 481 miles as opposed to 541). If anyone else is taking the back roads, please caravan with me! Or, I have room for a passenger if anyone needs a ride.

Hi Kay Bee! If you're going to be on the Big Rez, and you want a nice friendly safe place to camp, try Spider Rock campground on Indian Rt 7, South Rim Canyon de Chelly. My friend Howard Smith (Navajo despite the name) owns it.

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks, i’ll check it out! Maybe not on this trip, but definitely soon. I camped in Monument Valley within the past month when my son ran in the Monument Valley marathon...always wanted to see Canyon de Chelly but haven’t made it there yet. Definitely lots of beautiful country out there.

Oh how cool, both that your son ran in the MV marathon and that you camped there!

The Dire Wolfess