Renovating a Camper Trailer... also, hi! :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinybear

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!  

I am a future nomad, working on starting a mobile business out of an old camper trailer.  I am currently gutting and renovating, but I have NO EXPERIENCE!  I live on YouTube videos and advice from others.  I decided to create a YouTube channel to share my adventures from a newbie POV, in the hopes that it can make huge projects like that seem more accessible to those who have no experience and might otherwise be overwhelmed. It's kind of a "learn with me" platform.  

However, I am new, sooooooo I joined this community to ask questions and learn from others who may have some experience, as well as to prepare me for life on the road, when the day comes (hopefully soon)!

If anyone happens to be curious, you can watch one of the few videos I have so far, and offer some feedback on the work I have done or still have to do.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHNX8mS4WCyij4Et8rOazsQ/  

Either way, I look forward to discussions with all of you!  Have a great day!!!!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome tiny bear, I watched one of your vids, demo No 4, Ill make a few suggestions if youd like.

Hammers are not as good at prying as other tools, though ones with straighter claws are probably easier to use in that regard. Also, wood handled hammers are prone to break the handles off when used to pull nails much or for prying. if you can afford it, the Estwing hammers are outstanding, and nearly indestructible. A framing hammer should have the straight claws. A 16-20 ounce hammer should be fine for what youre doing.

A flat bar is a very good tool for removing things and general prying, they also make fair digging tools in dirt, as do framing hammers. Besides regular flat bars, what I call baby bars, very small flat bars, are often very usefull.

Your hardware or home improvement store should have the various specialty driver tips that fit the oddball screws you were encountering. I always get at least 2, they are easy to lose. When assembling your trailer project, if you can get appropriate sized torx or star drive screws, theyve been head and shoulders the easiest to use for construction of anything else ive used. Other than drywall screws when required (the black ones that are hardened and phillips head), I use the torx screws whenever possible, they are vastly easier to drive with far less leaning on the screw and the driver tip doesnt skip out nearly as much. Quality driver tips also helps, also, get the actual correct number (size) of phillips tips for drywall screws if you ever use them. theres a number of different size phillips tips.

A set of end cut pliers or nippers can save a lot of trouble pulling nails and staples so long as tyou can get the them to grab them.

When using your sawzall, (reciprocating saw), get the shoe or plate hard against the part your cutting if possible, it greatly reduces the problem of the work snagging the blade and it just vibrating back and forth not cutting. Dont be afraid to simply cut much of that junk out you were dismantling, then pry off the remains. It can save a lot of time.

Im curious to see what your going to build. Ive considered a camper trailer rebuild for my use in the future.

Framing hammer example https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Hamm...TZVSVDXS2F1&psc=1&refRID=37QR0TE63TZVSVDXS2F1

Flat bar example https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Hamm...TZVSVDXS2F1&psc=1&refRID=37QR0TE63TZVSVDXS2F1

Baby bar looks exactly like the regular flat bar but is about 5 inches long.

End cut pliers/nippers example https://www.grainger.com/product/3L...kwcid=AL!2966!3!264955915868!!!g!502447222717!

Just watched another vid....

Cutting bolts. Get some fine toothed metal cutting blades (various lengths) for your sawzall, even if you cant get straight on something, you can bend the bade some and reach in many places. they eat bolts for breakfast then ask whats for lunch. May have to hold something like shown on your trailer with the vise grip to keep it from moving, but often not once you get going on it. This is one use that getting the work against the shoe or plate on the tool isnt always possible, but you can generally still get good cuts happening. I tend to use the sawzall for anything id use a hacksaw on. Power tools rock!

Edit: looks lijke I missed the time window to edit the earlier post, the link for the flat bar was incorrect, it should have been https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-12-in-Wonder-Bar-Pry-Bar-55-515K/100093815

Malamute said:
Welcome tiny bear, I watched one of your vids, demo No 4, Ill make a few suggestions if youd like.

Oh, wow!!!  Thank you so much, Malamute!!!! This is exactly the kind of help and advice that is so valuable for newbies like me.  I will take 100% of this knowledge and run with it!  My vids are a bit behind my actual progress, and fumbling through this project has taught me a lot already, but you mention things here I would have never even thought of!

My appreciation is infinite.  Thank you again!  :D

landyachtman said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you so much! What a warm welcome   :cool:   I am happy to be here, and will work to be a positive addition to the community.  Have a fabulous day!