Removing the front passenger seat and utilizing it's space (example pics please)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abnorm said:
I started out as a single guy on the road..........Removed the passenger seat to make room for a Cat Stroller !

A couple years on-the-road and as Love would have it.......I needed a passenger seat for Paulette......Goodbye stroller....Hello Mamma!

I'd love to bring my little tuxedo buddy with me, but he likes to stray and i've already heard too many sad stories of them getting lost along the way.

JasonMcD said:
I'd love to bring my little tuxedo buddy with me, but he likes to stray and i've already heard too many sad stories of them getting lost along the way.
Blackie was an outdoor cat for a little while on the road.......One day in Colorado she went "Chipmunk Crazy" and wandered off for 9 days........

Now her outdoor time is limited to her octagon Habitat/tent.......or tied to a leash in her harness for a walk

My philosophy with cats is ... they love their freedom... let them have it... let them live a real cat life.... better that they be free and live happily.. than die bound up just to make us happy... if you love someone.. give them their freedom...what’s better.. to die bound and restricted... or die free ?   Anyways ... we do our best to care for them... but if we lose them because we loved them enough to let them be themselves... I wouldn’t feel guilty...I WOULD FEEL GUILTY KEEPING THEM COOPED UP TO HUMAN STANDARDS OF LIVING

Plywood was screwed to the roof racks. Large furniture was screwed to the plywood. Smaller things went inside or between larger things on the top. The top was then wrapped in commercial stretch wrap. One ratchet strap went over the load and through the doors. I fastened it to the car, not the roof racks. A longer strap left the trunk between the lid and the window and went forward. The other end went under the hood and fastened to the lift ring on the engine.
pictures, or it did not happened :)

Tore it out to have a very large flat floor to be used any way that I want. So I leveled the floor, insolated it between the furring strips and plywood over. I plan to use it as the pantry, fridge, and storage.

firOut4.png

insDone.png

floorDone.png

I thought about removing my seat as well and seeing if I could get in a freezer (already have a fridge in the back of my minivan) plus more storage but mainly my passager seat holds my dogs kennel she rides in while driving. Although I think I should have upgraded to safe doggie seat with safety belt for her instead.

I always imagined you could just get a new seat at a pick and pull junkyard if you ever truly needed another seat again unless you happen to have a storage unit or a friend or family member that likes you enough to share a bit of their garage space but they are clean enough people that you know when you return 3-6 years later to reclaim your much-needed seat, it won't be drenched in cat pee and caked in dust. :LOL:

I thought about removing my passenger seat, and decided against it, realizing that would be the end of any hope of having a traveling partner, singing songs with me as we go exploring the world together.

I thought about removing my passenger seat, and decided against it, realizing that would be the end of any hope of having a traveling partner, singing songs with me as we go exploring the world together.
Why? You think a person seriously interested in you would be deterred by your lack of a passenger seat?

So I'm in the market for a low roof van (still haven't figured out which low roof has most cubic space, will start another thread) and to save space I'm thinking about removing the front passenger seat and utilizing it's space.

Of course I want to leave room for a full view of the front and side window and the mirror, nut up to the dashboard there's a whole lotta space if you're not traveling with anyone or aren't planning to. And I'm not, I'm 100% sure. If anything they can chill in the back.

Could you please show me some examples of a van (any roof size) with the front passenger seat removed and some space utilization hacks? Thank you.
My van is in the shop getting new tires and brakes, so no pix. But I can tell you the best thing I ever did was use that area for my 2 golf cart batteries. I just cut a few pieces of 1x1 wood to act as "keepers" to keep the batteries in place, and added a very strong tie down consisting of nylon rope and turnbuckles to prevent the batteries from bouncing around. Been working fine for over three years.

I think it would be better to put in a swiveling passenger seat and just keep it facing your living area 99% of the time. It would free up the area you use for sitting at currently for more storage, and if you ever needed to give someone a ride (one day you may need a ride) just swivel back. In the meantime there's still quite a bit of space between the dash and the back of the rear facing passenger seat. Removing the dashboard may require removing an airbag and there's usually more things than you realize in the dash.

I think it would be better to put in a swiveling passenger seat and just keep it facing your living area 99% of the time. It would free up the area you use for sitting at currently for more storage, and if you ever needed to give someone a ride (one day you may need a ride) just swivel back. In the meantime there's still quite a bit of space between the dash and the back of the rear facing passenger seat. Removing the dashboard may require removing an airbag and there's usually more things than you realize in the dash.Ww

I thought extremely seriously about that. But I realized I really could sit up on my bed, with about an inch and a half to spare. And the price of a swivel seat, well...

On the whole, I'm glad I did what I did, it's working well for me. I thoroughly enjoy the extra space. If I'd had an extended van, instead of a regular length, my decision might have been different.

My PS doesn't swivel but is reversed and has been nice for lounging. I was going to remove it and buy a larger Alpi C40 fridge for that space. That would give me more room at the back of the van where my Alpi C20 now is located. I would then move my north-south bed towards the rear of the van and use a camp chair situated behind the driver's seat for lounging. This would give better access to my kitchen counter for preparing meals but lounging wouldn't be as comfortable. Unless I get a better camp chair than the Coleman I have now anyway.

I've also thought about the 'potential passenger' thing plus the effect on resale. I think I'll forgo the larger fridge and just place the C20 on the PS seat which would make it easier to get to. Then if I decide the camp chair arrangement isn't so great, I could put things back the way they were.

Last edited:
I've taken out both seats on the right side of the Sportage RV. I built and bolted a storage box in place of the rear seat that also serves as part of the bed. When I stick the pillow and part of the mattress in the back it is also a counter and table. In the front I built what I call the basement. It is only accessible from the front door. It has my battery, water, tarps, bungees, boots, tools and anything else that will fit. On top of it is a box, with plastic dividers and a lid, that can be reached from the driver's seat or the back seat. Camera, other electronics, coffee maker and a plethora of other things reside there. The lid is strapped down when I'm driving.

Attachments

• DSC_0910.JPG
    DSC_0910.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0913.JPG
    DSC_0913.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_1106.JPG
    DSC_1106.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1108.JPG
    DSC_1108.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0924.JPG
    DSC_0924.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 15
@JT646 - OMG, that's crazy. Thanks for sharing it though, it was - interesting ... I think. Gulp. :oops:

Here's YT video showing the removal of the passenger seat in a Transit Connect van, the older body style (which I like better than the current version). The tech had to mess around a bit to get the electronic/airbag wiring sorted out. Removing that seat opened up great usable space:

Latest posts