Removing roof AC unit? What to install in its place?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
My rig came with a roof-mounted AC. I'm 5'10" and the interior controls of this thing create the only spot I can't stand up straight. If I hit my head on it one more time I know I'm going to lose my temper and throw it to the side of the road so I'd like to have a plan to fill the hole before that happens. I plan never to be plugged into shore power so I'm not losing anything by removing the unit.

I've thought about a hatch for roof access, skylight, pop-up vent... realistically a powered roof fan is probably going to be the best use of my efforts. The ones I see online are around $200+ sold as complete units though. I've been wondering about building my own.

I'm not sure what size hole is under that AC, but I'm sure I can adjust that some if needed.

Any ideas?

My understanding is that both rooftop air conditioners and roof vents use the same industry standard 14" x 14" openings.  I'd be very surprised if a standard roof vent didn't just drop into place.

Regards
John

Good to know, I was hoping that was the case. Thanks.

Anyone wanna trade an AC for a powered 12v vent? :D

TMG51 said:
Good to know, I was hoping that was the case. Thanks.

Anyone wanna trade an AC for a powered 12v vent? :D

Craigslist.

Hey , you know........
There might just be someone here that would take that AC off your hands , might even be willing to pay for it too ! ;)
Might help you pay for that vent you want ?
Where are you located ?

Dang 5 minute edit............

Just read the rest of the posts , OR like you said trade .

Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I'm in Vermont. I've wondered if there are others around here on this forum! I've noticed several people vandwelling in my city since getting into it.

x2 the roof top ac's are 14x14 same as the vents. also like rvpopeye said sell the ac if it works, every city slicker in the world thinks ac is a necessity. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
x2 the roof top ac's are 14x14 same as the vents.  also like rvpopeye said sell the ac if it works,  every city slicker in the world thinks ac is a necessity.  highdesertranger

We're not all desert rats, leading our faithful jenny around under the blazing noon Death Valley sun, HDR! :p

Regards
John
City Slicker First Class

I don't need another AC and wish I had a high velocity vent fan too.

I don't use it much and sometimes have to search for a 30 amp plug in to exercise it.
Being 5'4" I don't have to worry about hitting my head on it though !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I'm currently workamping in Maine so not that far from you , hope you do find someone to get the deal you need.

If not here maybe Craigslist would work or do they have Uncle Henry's in VT ?

It would be a shame to just toss something useful but it's just stuff .

Happy Trails

Last I checked the low-end Fantasic Fan vent was about $125. For $200+, you get reversable, auto-close in rain, remote, etc. Just checked camping world -- "create a breeze" is $115. Unpowered is cheaper.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
So, what brand and how many btu is it?

Regards
John
City Slicker First Class

It's a "Duo-Therm," not sure of the BTU, though I'm sure it was standard on the '99 Dodge Phoenix Cruiser. :D

It's also a heater or fan, optionally.

TMG51 said:
I've thought about a hatch for roof access, skylight, pop-up vent... realistically a powered roof fan is probably going to be the best use of my efforts. 
Any ideas?
I vote for a robotic arm like the space shuttle has.

Attachments

• shuttle.jpg
    shuttle.jpg
    5.8 KB
I would guess it is a 13.5 or 15K btu.
There should a plate mounted to it somewhere .

A robotic arm could come in very handy!
Installing , Cleaning , Pointing the solar panels .
Caulking the seams .
Telescope mount ................The possibilities are endless !

Awwwwww , now I want one !
Maybe I should ditch MY A/C as well.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Rather than spend money on the auto-close-in-the-rain feature, you would be better of investing in a cover that lets you leave it open in the rain, something like

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-93...1434218462&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+roof+vent+cover

Regards
John

Yeah, the "auto close in the rain" feature is a power hog, especially in humid weather.  Mine wants to open and close continually at the least bit of moisture, especially at the beach.  I open it manually and turn on the fan when needed instead.