Reliable van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Can anyone comment on a 1997 Airstream Class B RV. $9,000,  95.000 miles

peachykeen said:

depends on the condition and options it has. can you link to it? $9k for 95k miles on a 97 though is a fairly good price. I'm looking at a 96 with 160k miles for $10k now, but it has a rare layout.

iplayguitarintheshower said:
depends on the condition and options it has. can you link to it? $9k for 95k miles on a 97 though is a fairly good price. I'm looking at a 96 with 160k miles for $10k now, but it has a rare layout.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been reading about the not so good Ford Engines and I am kinda freaked. If I buy this I really do not have the money to replace the engine. I thought I was good on the year but then I read about the ford triton V 10. Is this a triton? (Geez if I had understood how useful a pile of money is maybe I would have been more------whatever. I think the 60s damaged my brain---. was a LOt of fun though) Have avoided learning to link. Not a clue. Your rare layout sounds intriguing. I want a B but difficult to find a shower. Again thank you, this my second post.

akrvbob said:
From 1999 to 2008 every Ford gas engine was known to either just blow out a spark plug or break off in the engine. I can't understand why anybody buys them.  No, they all didn't do it, maybe most of them didn't do it, but you never know. I just had a friend with a 2001 Ford 5.4 driving down the road at 201,000 miles and it blew out a plug. Fucking Ford never made any of it right!! Just kept selling bad engines to people. Then the fix just created new problems.

At the same time they had the 6.0 diesel--probably the worst engine ever put in an American vehicle. All shit, all of them. And Fucking Ford never made it right for anyone!! Just charged $10,000 for a new engine knowing it was just a matter of time before they blew up too. I just had a friend with a 6.0 blow the engine.  I asked him wasn't he afraid of the 6.0 and he said, "It's all exaggerated, nothing wrong with it." He's not saying that anymore!! They wanted $10,000 for a new engine. So he traded it in for a new Ford with Gas.

Why is anyone still supporting those people?
I have never had luck with any Ford I ever had either. I had great luck with most of my Chevy or GMC vans. I've always been a GM guy anyway, but I did give a few Fords a try. They have always been known for weak transmissions, but one Ford van I had needed a complete transmission within three days of ownership. This was probably due to the lead footed drivers that worked for the A/C company that previously owned it, but still...........
I am currently giving Dodge a try because I found a deal on one that still doesn't have 70,000 original miles yet. I got it cheap due to body damage on one side. It's a 2003. I brought a friend that is both a mechanic and Dodge freak whom crawled all over it, and under it, checking everything including the frame etc. We even pulled the dog house off, and he pointed out that the back of the engine and transmission looked brand new, or at least very new. He said "buy the van," so I did.

peachykeen said:
Thank you all for your help, I was really looking at 2 with ford engines. I am in Texas hill country if anyone knows of anything. Hope that is not verboten, if so, sorry. This such a wonderful, informative, helpful site with great people. So much I need to know and it is right here. Thank you AKRVBOB for doing this. (you have a very nice son by the way.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I think the Chevy Express with 5.3 is the best van of all time.  Reliability and MPG's great.  I had an 03 2500 I inherited from my Dad in 08 with 63k, he bought it new.  I put another 100k on it with never more than basic maintence......oil changes, brakes, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, and that was all she ever needed.  Sold it to a plumber locally in 2013 and he's still driving it with 230k on her and still no major repairs.  Still has original exhaust and avg 18 mpgs

Good to hear!

I dislike working on van motors the main reason I switched to a pick-up. since the mid engine vans are too old, every mechanic I talk to dislikes working on vans.

akrvbob said:
From 1999 to 2008 every Ford gas engine was known to either just blow out a spark plug or break off in the engine. I can't understand why anybody buys them.  

Why is anyone still supporting those people?

Before 1999 Ford-Chevy both great! You couldn't go wrong with either of them. I was a Ford man--never again. After 1999, BUY  CHEVY!!!

Quite simply the Chevy 5.3 or 4.8 are the best engines you can buy. Great gas mileage, super reliability, very strong power.

Buy a 5.3 or 4.8 Chevy!!
Bob

So glad I came across this because I know nothing about mechanics and for some reason I keep getting drawn to looking at Ford E250's.  Time to change my search.

Yet another reason why this is the best group around.  Thank you.

Cheli said:
So glad I came across this because I know nothing about mechanics and for some reason I keep getting drawn to looking at Ford E250's.  Time to change my search.
Yeah, you will probably find more Fords for sale.  ;-)

I'm driving a Dodge right now because I came across a good deal on it. Just came back from another 230 mile trip with zero issues.
Make mine Chevy or Dodge please.

Or 1987 to 2003 7.3 Ford diesel 87 to whenever 6.2 GM diesel or Dodge 5.9 12 valve and some 24 valve models are extremely robust and you get to stop at truck stops whoopee

wagoneer said:
Or 1987 to 2003 7.3 Ford diesel 87 to whenever 6.2 GM diesel or Dodge 5.9 12 valve and some 24 valve models are extremely robust and you get to stop at truck stops whoopee

When it comes to diesels, You SIMPLY CANNOT BEAT THE Dodge/Cummins. Ford got it kinda right after 1997 with their 7.3, and GM couldn't make a proper diesel to SAVE THEIR LIVES.

Ballenxj said:
Yeah, you will probably find more Fords for sale.  ;-)

This just reminded me that when I was a kid my grandfather lived on a farm and had a Ford pickup and my uncle had a Chevy pickup.  They always had back and ford banter about which was better and my uncle used to say that Ford stood for Found On Road Dead.  LOL

So this would make sense as to why I see more Fords for sale over Chevy and Dodge.  I'll be keeping an  eye out for anything but Ford now.

VanKitten said:
There are many people coming to this board who are in the seeking phase.   

The burning question for most is ... What are the most reliable vehicles out there.

After reading through these boards, I have changed my mind from an SUV to a van.   

In looking at vans, I want to know what are the ones that have the best records of repair?  Someone claimed a cargo van was the best in this category because they are built for commercial use and that means they are better built.  Any one with experience on this?

Some have said buy an old van cheap, and use the savings for new engine and new transmission.   Does this actually make sense?  Any one with experience here?

I read about a fellow who bought a van and had the transmission replaced in just a couple thousand miles.   He would not have paid that much had he known.  He indicated that the seller knew.   How does a buyer learn this?  How did the seller know?  

Like many people, I do not want a vehicle that is going to have major repairs soon after purchase.   Is it reasonable to require the full record of service on a vehicle?   I know I have never thrown out a service record on any of my cars, but maybe I am a bit odd that way?

So, what is the experience of the van dwellers here.   How long did each of your vehicles last, and how many different one have you been through during your life on the road?

I have had 2 cars since starting to live houseless.   I had an old Camry (1982) that lasted me until I gave it away in 2003.  I bought a matrix in 2003 and I am still driving it.  (260,000 miles now).   This is why I believe in Toyota, but...I  had complete control of maintenance and I was serious about maintenance.   Buying a used van (1000,000+ miles) means figuring  out a difference set of criteria

Van owners...what is your experience?  What do you look for?  What would you avoid?

In my experience, it all depends on your level of mechanical aptitude. Just about any van can be rock reliable if you know how to take care of it, and each make and model of van will have its own tendencies and quirks to watch out for.

My 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager is no more. Too costly to fix and since I got the van for free and had it for three years, well, I can't complain.

I got lucky though. After searching through Craigslist and looking at other options, I chose a 1988 Chevy Astro van for $1300.00 which is what I could afford. The van has been well-maintained and taken care of. The guy I bought it from got it from his father who was the only one who had owned it. His dad had passed away which is how he wound up with it. His mom recently passed away so now he has his mom's car in addition to his truck, his wife's car, and the Chevy Astro. Anyway, I had my mechanic check it out and it has a new tranny that was done in 2015, the engine was rebuilt in 2014, and all the records of everything else that had been done pertaining to its upkeep. Other than some minor cosmetic issues inside that are easily fixed, it runs great. The guy wanted $1600.00 originally but since I had $1300.00 cash, he took it.

I'm happy with it and it's so comfy to sleep in. When I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do so.

VanGrrl57

VanGrrl57 said:
I chose a 1988 Chevy Astro van for $1300.00 which is what I could afford. The van has been well-maintained and taken care of. 
<----snip------>
I had my mechanic check it out and it has a new tranny that was done in 2015, the engine was rebuilt in 2014, and all the records of everything else that had been done pertaining to its upkeep. Other than some minor cosmetic issues inside that are easily fixed, it runs great. The guy wanted $1600.00 originally but since I had $1300.00 cash, he took it.

It sounds like you did quite well here. I suspect you will love this van and have it a long time. CONGRATULATIONS!   :)
Looking forward to pictures of it.

VanGrrl57 said:
My 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager is no more. Too costly to fix and since I got the van for free and had it for three years, well, I can't complain.

I got lucky though. After searching through Craigslist and looking at other options, I chose a 1988 Chevy Astro van for $1300.00 which is what I could afford. The van has been well-maintained and taken care of. The guy I bought it from got it from his father who was the only one who had owned it. His dad had passed away which is how he wound up with it. His mom recently passed away so now he has his mom's car in addition to his truck, his wife's car, and the Chevy Astro. Anyway, I had my mechanic check it out and it has a new tranny that was done in 2015, the engine was rebuilt in 2014, and all the records of everything else that had been done pertaining to its upkeep. Other than some minor cosmetic issues inside that are easily fixed, it runs great. The guy wanted $1600.00 originally but since I had $1300.00 cash, he took it.

I'm happy with it and it's so comfy to sleep in. When I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do so.

VanGrrl57

Any decent Astro/Safari van in this area brings $3K.   Great deal.

Yeah, I was thinking "I don't even need a van" and I would have jumped on it for $1300. Congrats, can't wait to see the pictures.

Okay. I'm gonna try to post some pictures. Please bear with me as I am ignorant about this sort of thing. Here's my new van. I'm also at Big Sioux Recreational Area. What do you guys think? I think I'm calling her LenaBelle. :D

20160502_092922_zpsyjq8vjch.jpg

Well, that's just all sorts of spiffy!! Congrats!!