Rain water leaks, need practical solution

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzagi

Reaction score
Subject: 2001 Carson fun runner toy hauler.
Problem: when it rains harder then drizzling there are 2 leaks, one around the rear hatch and another from the A/C area.
Can you please share practical and cost effective solutions (on the cheap) on what products to use and procedures to solve this problem.
I'm in Socal so its not a huge problem and it seems that these leaks existed forever, just like to solve it for "good"

If you want the repair to be proper, you'll need to spend the time or money on it. There are no shortcuts. Remove the A/C, clean the surface, and replace the gasket. On the hatch, check the edge seal and replace if needed. Also, inspect the flange on the roof for cracks in the sealant. I use Proflex RV by Geocel as it is self leveling, bonds well, and flexes without breaking.

As "thegoodtom1" mentioned, Proflex RV by Geocell comes in a tube(caulking) or in a can (pourable,brushable).
I have used this product numerous times, it can even be applied in the rain.
You can simply brush on thin layers over a leaky joint and build it up with multiple layers after each layer has set.
As long as you can get at the joint/seam, you can simply brush it on with good overlap and will do a great job of sealing.

Eternabond tape FTW. You can skip all those machinations - just apply over leaking area and you're good to go.

Thanks all,
Taking the whole think apart is a bit of overkill, like I said these are very small drips, no fire hose here.
I'll try some brush on sealant and go from here, will report how it works out.

Thanks all,
Taking the whole think apart is a bit of overkill, like I said these are very small drips, no fire hose here.
I'll try some brush on sealant and go from here, will report how it works out.
They may appear to be small leaks. But the water will find its way down between the walls where you can't see it. Next thing you know...You have to rip out and repair a whole section of rotten moldy material. I highly suggest you repair it properly.

Certainly, different vehicles may call for different solutions. A few years ago I bought a small camper that had a sagging and soft floor. I decided that was no big deal because I fancy myself DIY skilled.

I later discovered the failing floor had been caused by a long-term roof-to-wall-to-floor leak that ultimately required almost a total camper rebuild.

Don't ignore these small leaks for too long. Water is relentless and deadly in the RV world.