Rain guards & Buddy Heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the vehicle's dash fresh air vent is left open I wonder if a roof vent could pull air through it. Would have to check with incense or some other smoky tool, but it might prevent the need for a new hole.

LoupGarou said:
Are there any roof vents to crack open?
No, if anyone has installed a Fantastic Fan in a minivan pls let me know. Is there a reason it can't be done???? I'd love to have one installed.

I bought small fans for the vented third row seat windows. Plus a bigger fan to cool me down when the van's not running. Very quiet, alkaline battery operated.

I purchased the T & C last summer. My rain guards arrive tomorrow. Van's going to get a clear coat, complete detailing and sanitizing. The CRVL video on build your own minivan bed helped too. Day by day, a little closer to Freedom....

I installed a Maxx fan in my Ford Windstar.  So, not what you asked about, not Fantastic, not Town and Country but still 14 inch fan in a minivan.

The Maxx has the rain cover built in.  It is smaller than a Fantastic with a Camco vent cover.  It still looks big on the minivan.  It is not up high out of sight like on the raised roof of a class B or C but down where it is noticeable.  I mounted it as far back as I could to leave room for the solar panel.  It actually is back far enough so that if the cover is all the way down the tailgate touches and lifts it a bit.  I leave it at the 25% open level.  Problem solved.

Inside was a nightmare.  I pulled down part of the headliner and reached in to feel for ribs and support  structures.  From the back reaching forward with a yard stick I found the support.  Then I cut a slit and reached backwards with the yardstick and found the back support and determined there was room for a 14 inch fan.  The rear support actually was a half inch below the roof skin extending forward an inch leaving room for a only a 13 inch fan.  The yardstick slid along the roof skin above the forward part of the roof support all the way  to the back where the skin actually connected.  Since the hole was cut I managed to finish the job, no turning back.

My first plan was to get a 4 inch square 12 volt computer fan and mount it to the top of the roof with a cover like the Camco.  I was thinking that a plastic Tupperware could have a rear facing hole covered by a flap from another identical Tupperware for exhaust only.  Part two of my thinking was that I could upgrade to a 14 inch vent later if I wanted.  If I had done that I would have seen the underside of the rear support and never attempted the 14 inch.  That's what I'll do next time.  It will take some research to figure out how to get the cover to work.

Bottom line, it is great.  The Maxx fan can be left on low or the thermostat can turn it on automatically.  It doesn't go on and off like an air conditioner. It comes on in the morning and goes off after dark.  I don't use that feature much.  I have my stove in the back.  Rain or shine, nothing gets stinky.  The 5 gallon gamma lid bucket is back there too.  It is all good.  The Little Buddy heater only gets used right behind the passenger seat.  The bulkhead (cardboard) keeps moisture out of the front area keeping the windshield dry most of the time.  If it is cold and I don't have the fan on and the wind is from the rear and the vent is cranked up then the front gets moist.

I have rain guards and leave the front two windows down an inch.  If I put the windows up and set the a/c, heater, defrost to take outside air with the key off the flow is obstructed.  The air has to pass through the cabin air filter which is dense pleated paper.  That doesn't work.

What are the "small fans for the vented third row seat windows" and  how do they work?  Do they exhaust?

Trebor English said:
I installed a Maxx fan in my Ford Windstar.  So, not what you asked about, not Fantastic, not Town and Country but still 14 inch fan in a minivan.

The Maxx has the rain cover built in.  It is smaller than a Fantastic with a Camco vent cover.  It still looks big on the minivan.  It is not up high out of sight like on the raised roof of a class B or C but down where it is noticeable.  I mounted it as far back as I could to leave room for the solar panel.  It actually is back far enough so that if the cover is all the way down the tailgate touches and lifts it a bit.  I leave it at the 25% open level.  Problem solved.

Inside was a nightmare.  I pulled down part of the headliner and reached in to feel for ribs and support  structures.  From the back reaching forward with a yard stick I found the support.  Then I cut a slit and reached backwards with the yardstick and found the back support and determined there was room for a 14 inch fan.  The rear support actually was a half inch below the roof skin extending forward an inch leaving room for a only a 13 inch fan.  The yardstick slid along the roof skin above the forward part of the roof support all the way  to the back where the skin actually connected.  Since the hole was cut I managed to finish the job, no turning back.

My first plan was to get a 4 inch square 12 volt computer fan and mount it to the top of the roof with a cover like the Camco.  I was thinking that a plastic Tupperware could have a rear facing hole covered by a flap from another identical Tupperware for exhaust only.  Part two of my thinking was that I could upgrade to a 14 inch vent later if I wanted.  If I had done that I would have seen the underside of the rear support and never attempted the 14 inch.  That's what I'll do next time.  It will take some research to figure out how to get the cover to work.

Bottom line, it is great.  The Maxx fan can be left on low or the thermostat can turn it on automatically.  It doesn't go on and off like an air conditioner. It comes on in the morning and goes off after dark.  I don't use that feature much.  I have my stove in the back.  Rain or shine, nothing gets stinky.  The 5 gallon gamma lid bucket is back there too.  It is all good.  The Little Buddy heater only gets used right behind the passenger seat.  The bulkhead (cardboard) keeps moisture out of the front area keeping the windshield dry most of the time.  If it is cold and I don't have the fan on and the wind is from the rear and the vent is cranked up then the front gets moist.

I have rain guards and leave the front two windows down an inch.  If I put the windows up and set the a/c, heater, defrost to take outside air with the key off the flow is obstructed.  The air has to pass through the cabin air filter which is dense pleated paper.  That doesn't work.

What are the "small fans for the vented third row seat windows" and  how do they work?  Do they exhaust?

Trebor, congrats on your successful fan installation. I would not dare try that.

As for the tiny window vent fans, I saw a young guy in a white T & C YouTube video using them. They fit right in the windows, made by Oh2Cool, got mine at Home Depot. Believe Wmart carries them too. Big one is so quiet. I'm sure the small ones are too.

I also bought same brand battery op mister fan at Wmart, 3 bucks on clearance. Has a button you push and the fan circulates a fine mist of water. You have to hold the button by hand, but I figure I could put a piece of tape over it and let it run, pull tape off when I'm done. Holds maybe 8-10 oz water. Refreshing, should have picked up several more.

I'm not on the road yet. Did not have the fans on my first and only trial camp trip. I'm purchasing and prepping, while downsizing and getting ready for travel. I figure with 3 quiet fans it's bound to help cool the van interior.

Thanks for all the info you provided!

Trebor English said:

Trebor English said:

The owner of the detailing company who is going to clean the interior of my van and put a clear coat on it suggested that I have my mechanic replace the cabin air filter. I never heard of it before. But he said it will improve air quality. So I'll ask my mechanic when he does a few other upgrades soon. Responded to your fan question in another post.

Kathleen said:
I also bought same brand battery op mister fan at Wmart, 3 bucks on clearance. Has a button you push and the fan circulates a fine mist of water. 

If it is real humid the mister will be as bad as a swamp cooler.  Florida is way too humid.  Arizona is dry enough for it to actually evaporate the water and drop the temperature.

Trebor English said:
If it is real humid the mister will be as bad as a swamp cooler.  Florida is way too humid.  Arizona is dry enough for it to actually evaporate the water and drop the temperature.
I live in the arid southwest and we are in a drought. My boon docking plans are for the west, where it is generally dry. A little moisture in the air helps me breathe and rehydrates my eyes. A humidifier would be too big for my minivan. Battery op rotating fan with fine mist works for me.

I have literally just installed wind deflectors/rain guards on my van. Was the first time... and  it was actually very easy and I was done within 5 mins.

Step 1: Clean and scratch up the inside of the window channel. My set came with this cleaning pad:
[img=267x200]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g...17AFB14-081E-43D3-BC54-C78C7F112600.jpg[/img]

Step 2: Clean the scratched up channel with some alcohol. My set came with those "hospital before syringe alcohol pads". (I have lived 38 years in Europe, so English is not my first language)

Step 3: (this was the most time-consuming part, because I cut my fingernails every now and then) Peel off the protective film from the adhesive starting at both ends, but do not peel it off entirely:
[img=267x200]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g...BC8A704-182E-477F-9828-818E21EBD603.jpg[/img]

Step 4: Insert the wind deflector. You can see the red film sticking out at both ends:
[img=415x310]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g...809CD9A-9DE5-4292-9F8C-2CCE84646E11.jpg[/img]

Step 5: Peel off the red film, which is sticking out.

Step 6: Close window (might need a little help with your hand to completely close) and do not open for at least 24 hours.

Step 7: Repeat steps on the other side.

D O N E
[img=415x311]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g...1493BFF-F199-4081-8F64-A82FF257D9A0.jpg[/img]

If I could go back, I would buy deflectors that come down a little more, so you could open the window even more. But it's good enough. I plan on having floor vents anyway.

we've been using the weathertech rain guards on both front van windows since the first month of ownership. One thing Cari did on both sides is install no-see-em netting attached with velcro. We put them up in camp for cooling during the day (and cracking the max-fan-vent). I'm about the pull the trigger on a buddy heater and checking out the forum before the purchase :)

Thom

accrete said:
we've been using the weathertech rain guards on both front van windows since the first month of ownership. One thing Cari did on both sides is install no-see-em netting attached with velcro. We put them up in camp for cooling during the day (and cracking the max-fan-vent). I'm about the pull the trigger on a buddy heater and checking out the forum before the purchase :)

Thom

Hi Thom,

Glad Cari found a way to attach the no-see-em netting with velcro. I just saw an Ikea circular frame with hook on top side that drapes down over a bed. I think the van dweller said it was only 25 bucks.

Looked like an easy way to shut out the bugs for anyone who does not have time/talent for the velcro screens. I own a bug bivy I could set up inside my minivan. Very compact when not in use.

Get the junior buddy, Big version only for huge uninsulated space in Alaskan winter.

And CO alarms, keep venting, no sleeping!

John61CT said:
Get the junior buddy, Big version only for huge uninsulated space in Alaskan winter.

The little buddy's output (3800btu) is pretty close to the standard and big one's low setting (4000btu).  The price between the little and standard is small, then a big jump to the big.  

Seems to me that the discontinued coleman catalytic 1500btu heater could be a sweet spot for snowbirds in chilly weather.  Since those units are going for more than MSRP on eBay others must agree.  I haven't found anyone else making a small cat heater like that.  Maybe someone else knows of one. 

My back-of-envelope calculating and googling suggest the Buddys' pilot light alone puts out something like 300-500btu.

frater secessus said:
The little buddy's output (3800btu) is pretty close to the standard and big one's low setting (4000btu).
<-------->
My back-of-envelope calculating and googling suggest the Buddys' pilot light alone puts out something like 300-500btu.
I have noticed an immediate warmth from the pilot alone on a cold morning, but it's not far from me when I do. I hadn't thought about it, but if you initially take the chill out of the air first on the low setting, you could maybe get by with the pilot only?
Another thing I recommend getting is the Mr Buddy hose that adapts your Mr Buddy heater to run on a larger bottle of propane which will save you on propane costs in the long run.
I have been thinking about getting one of those adapters for filling the small bottles from a bigger one, just haven't done it yet.

Make sure to get the Teflon-lined hose that doesn't break down internally, so then you don't need the special line filter.

I really like having a compact self-contained unit during the shoulder seasons, but rather than the disposables, get the designed-to-be refillable 1lb bottles, very easy to refill off your regular 20# with the kit.

Do NOT refill the disposable ones in a travel / camper scenario.

Worthington is the better brand, but Flame King cheaper and much easier to find.

And yes the little Colemans are good, but afaik don't have the low-oxygen cutout safety feature, really designed for outdoors only.