Rain guards & Buddy Heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Town and Country Minivan, 54k miles. On my first camping trip a wild storm blew in. It rained really hard. I could not keep my windows cracked in that downpour. 

I lived in Southern AZ. In winter it can rain or snow there. Do I need the rain guards for safety while running Mr. Buddy (or cook stove) on cold rainy nights before going to bed?

Would feel safer equipped with them but the cost of two rain guards and install at dealer is pricey, $150 plus tx.

I want the ones made for my make and model. With that really sticky adhesive I prefer the dealer do the install. I might not get it to stick in just the right place. :blush:

Google 'rain guards' on the internet and then pick a source and input your make and model. I bought mine through Amazon I think.

No way should they be $150.00 even with installation in the US...Heck they aren't even that much in Canada.... :rolleyes: 

I nervously installed the in track ones myself on my van...that was 10 months ago and by following the instructions to the letter I haven't had a whisper of a problem with them.

They are actually really easy to install. The biggest trick with the in track ones is to clean the window channel thoroughly again and again until you're not getting any dirt out of it. The in channel ones come with a pull off cover for on the tape. You just start where they tell you to start and peel it back. Then you have to keep the window closed for 24 hours so that it's pushing the rain guard in place. Because it's got the peel off cover on the sticky part, you can dry fit them first to make sure they're fitting nicely.

They are absolutely invaluable and I can't believe I didn't have them on every vehicle I've ever owned.

The only time my windows are rolled all the way up now is when I'm trying to keep heat in when I'm not using a heater.

I got the not in the channel type.  It was $25 for the pair.  If you do it yourself and mess it up then buy a new set and try again it is still way less than $150.  Before you pull the plastic strip exposing the tape hold them up to where you want them.  Use some packing tape and stick them on.  Look at where the ends go and mark those spots on the door with sharpie.  It isn't very hard.

Almost There said:
Google 'rain guards' on the internet and then pick a source and input your make and model. I bought mine through Amazon I think.

No way should they be $150.00 even with installation in the US...Heck they aren't even that much in Canada.... :rolleyes: 

I nervously installed the in track ones myself on my van...that was 10 months ago and by following the instructions to the letter I haven't had a whisper of a problem with them.

They are actually really easy to install. The biggest trick with the in track ones is to clean the window channel thoroughly again and again until you're not getting any dirt out of it. The in channel ones come with a pull off cover for on the tape. You just start where they tell you to start and peel it back. Then you have to keep the window closed for 24 hours so that it's pushing the rain guard in place. Because it's got the peel off cover on the sticky part, you can dry fit them first to make sure they're fitting nicely.

They are absolutely invaluable and I can't believe I didn't have them on every vehicle I've ever owned.

The only time my windows are rolled all the way up now is when I'm trying to keep heat in when I'm not using a heater.
Thanks so much for your response, Almost There. Yes, I got my big lesson in the rain storm. It was summer and it seems a minivan would have enough oxygen to breathe well through the night. But it felt stuffy half way through when I woke up listening to the pounding rain. Due to that experience I thought I better get rain guards.

I know about the need for air when using propane heaters so that's another reason they're necessary. I see so many camper vehicles without them so it made me wonder how they were managing. I will definitely invest in rain guards for my vehicle.

There's one feature I really do NOT like on my new van. It does not have a locking gas door with handle to open from the inside. I don't want the public to access my gas tank so I also need to get a locking gas cap. Hard to believe Chrysler did not put a locking gas cap door, as this was an expensive vehicle when it was manufactured.

It's all time and money but eventually when I hit those green pastures and quartz covered ground it will all be worth the time and effort!

Trebor English said:
I got the not in the channel type.  It was $25 for the pair.  If you do it yourself and mess it up then buy a new set and try again it is still way less than $150.  Before you pull the plastic strip exposing the tape hold them up to where you want them.  Use some packing tape and stick them on.  Look at where the ends go and mark those spots on the door with sharpie.  It isn't very hard.

Thanks, Trebor. That's a much better price! Maybe I will look for a demo video online, then I'll feel better about trying to do it myself.

I found my set on eBay.  It was $38.  Not many around for the 20+ year old vans. These had a sticky tape. 

Best purchase yet.  It ranks up there with the roof vent.

Read the manual. There are minimal requirements for air flow to run that heater inside a closed structure.

Any auto parts store has the locking gas cap. Got one for my Grand Caravan, as I had the same concern.
Luckily mine already had the rain guards. The parts store has them too, though maybe not in stock for your vehicle. Need to check your local stores, or online at Rock Auto_dot_com.

as far as the locking gas caps. most of the vehicles made since the 90's have an anti-siphon system built into the fill hose. the thieves know this. therefore gas thieves really don't stick a hose down the fill hose any more. instead they either pierce the fill hose down by the tank, or drill a hole in the tank. both of which cost more money to fix then a tank of gas. btw the preferred method with Dodge vehicles is to drill a hole in the plastic tank, easy peasy. this is a perfect example of the unintended consequences of good intentions. highdesertranger

GotSmart said:
I found my set on eBay.  It was $38.  Not many around for the 20+ year old vans. These had a sticky tape. 

Best purchase yet.  It ranks up there with the roof vent.

Ahhh, so they did not make them til recent history. That's why the older models don't have them.

LoupGarou said:
Are there any roof vents to crack open?

Not on my vehicle. Do people install roof vents on minivans???

Kathleen said:
Ahhh, so they did not make them til recent history. That's why the older models don't have them.

No, They have been around as long as I remember.  There are less older vans, so the market is better in other places.  Why make something tat only a few can use, when the same process altered a little will gain you 50 times more sales. 

Read the reviews carefully, as some do not fit what they are advertised for.

highdesertranger said:
as far as the locking gas caps.  most of the vehicles made since the 90's have an anti-siphon system built into the fill hose.  the thieves know this.    therefore gas thieves really don't stick a hose down the fill hose any more.  instead they either pierce the fill hose down by the tank,  or drill a hole in the tank.  both of which cost more money to fix then a tank of gas.  btw the preferred method  with Dodge vehicles is to drill a hole in the plastic tank,  easy peasy.  this is a perfect example of the unintended consequences of good intentions.  highdesertranger

Thx for noticing my question about the gas caps, hdr.  

I watched Bob's video on Kathleen, a lady living in her car. Some mean people poured sugar in and ruined her other vehicle's engine. I thought they dumped it in thru the gas cap area so was concerned about locking it for that reason also.

Any thoughts on that???

The locking cap would make it very hard to pour sugar in your tank, not really feasible to do through a hole in the fill hole
if they really want to they'll destroy the locking cap

A locking gas cap can be 'unlocked' in about 15 seconds by someone with a bit of know how and a screwdriver.

I was amazed when I saw it done on a pick up truck that was loaned to a friend. The owner drove off with the key for the gas cap after giving him the ignition key.

Kathleen said:
Not on my vehicle. Do people install roof vents on minivans???

You can install a roof vent on any vehicle you choose to do it on.

My Astro and Safari mini vans each had roof vents installed.

ArtW said:
The locking cap would make it very hard to pour sugar in your tank, not really feasible to do through a hole in the fill hole
if they really want to they'll destroy the locking cap
Thx, ArtW. One less expense, and no hassle unlocking cap with a key when filling up.

I'll just envision that I continue to have good fortune on the road. Never had any bad experiences in my 18 consecutive years driving for my bizness.

highdesertranger said:
as far as the locking gas caps.  most of the vehicles made since the 90's have an anti-siphon system built into the fill hose.  the thieves know this.    therefore gas thieves really don't stick a hose down the fill hose any more.  instead they either pierce the fill hose down by the tank,  or drill a hole in the tank.  both of which cost more money to fix then a tank of gas.  btw the preferred method  with Dodge vehicles is to drill a hole in the plastic tank,  easy peasy.  this is a perfect example of the unintended consequences of good intentions.  highdesertranger

Thx for the heads up on the plastic tank. Means I don't want to hit bottom real hard. Does not seem like a good mechanical choice on the part of Dodge.

Kathleen said:
Thx for the heads up on the plastic tank. Means I don't want to hit bottom real hard. Does not seem like a good mechanical choice on the part of Dodge.

One good reasons for a plastic tank.  They do not rust.