R12 to R134a conversion—Your experience, thoughts, concerns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
The A/C on my 1989 Ford E-350 Econoline (5.8L) is blowing warm air. It's an '89 so obviously it requires the now-illegal R-12 refrigerant. I'm thinking of converting it to R134a but I've read conflicting opinions online. This "Miracle" product (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...34a-recharge-and-retrofit-kit-rkr-8/9220004-P) claims to be able to convert your system without replacment of additional hardware.

The reviews on the site says it works as advertised, but others say it's model specific. This Econoline doesn't have any rear A/C, just the dash.

Anyone used this product or something similar? What are your thoughts, warnings, suggestions?

Thanks!

I take it you don.t know an ac tech. the conversion is not hard or expensive if you know someone. there is more to the conversion then that kit gives you if you want longevity. also if your system no longer blows cold it means you have lost your Freon ie you have a leak. that needs to be fixed too. btw r-12 is not illegal just illegal to manufacture it is still legal in most of the world. I read somewhere that the most smuggled things from mexico were drugs, people, cigarettes, and r-12 listed by dollar value. highdesertranger

I suggest you find out what is leaking. It may cost a lot of money to repair your system to the point it can use 134. I had great success on 2 1990's vehicles, but no luck on 1987 van. If you can do the replacement parts, I still recommend you use a professional shop to clean and recharge.

Fix the leak and re-charge with 404a 0r 414b no conversion needed.....you will require a Lic. Tech to do it

400 series refrigerants are not very efficient. Generally not recommended for automotive uses. Any replacement refrigerant except r12 needs to have the system completely cleaned and evacuated. Many older systems need the seals and hoses replaced. The drier needs replacement.
Some other gases are similar to propane and are illegal in a mobile system.
My mechanic states he uses r134 without changing anything in systems later than 1990. just evacuate and refill. I don't believe him.

400 series are an easy drop in using only 75% of the original factory charge ....as far as being efficient there threshhold is colder.....134a is non efficient and carbons up.

I could be wrong but I was smart enough to pass the test and got my universal Lic.

yeah the 134a is not as efficient as r12. it helps if you install an electric fan on the condenser, helps in stop and go traffic. highdesertranger

You can put 414b in right over the r12 .....or use it as a charge after vacuum ....use only 75% of the factory guideline..

Been doing it for years on vehicles , commercial refrigeration without any problems and systems ran better

Where does one buy 414b? Are small cans available?

The AC in my '88 E150 needs some major work. One or more major parts need replaced. Wonder if it would be better/cheaper to convert it to the newer system completely, or back to full stock configuration with these newer compatible coolants?

I changed my 86 Safari van over to R134a. The main problem is the oil is different. I think 134a takes ester but can't remember. The parts store can tell you for your model.

The time to convert is usually when changing compressor but you could just pour out all the old incompatible oil from compressor and blow out condenser and refill with whatever yours calls for PAG or ester.

You need to install at the minimum a new dryer (accumulator), orifice tube if yours has one (if not real dirty could reuse) and are suppose to change the o rings. I never changed The o rings in mine and never had a problem with leaks from them for around 15 years. Think I did change the compressor out 1 more time during that period but luckily I had bought one with lifetime warranty from NAPA.
You will need someone to pull a vacuum and then recharge with 134a.

I am no AC guy but a good friend taught me how to do a leak check and pump down and refill the system years ago. Living in Florida really wears out AC. Since I drive old vehicles I slowly purchased everything I need to repair AC and read up on it. Shops charge way too much to repair AC. Its not rocket science and really not that hard.
Good Luck
A SEEKER

LeeRevell said:
The AC in my '88 E150 needs some major work. One or more major parts need replaced. Wonder if it would be better/cheaper to convert it to the newer system completely, or back to full stock configuration with these newer compatible coolants?

Lee, my amateur opinion is if you're replacing major parts, then do the conversion. R12 is not illegal, but it is illegal to manufacturer (and import?) in the US, that means extremely limited supply that's only going to get more limited.

I don't know where you all live, but I was just wondering . . .

Is R-12 banned in Canada and Mexico too?

Bob (and others) have written here about going over the border to have dental work done and getting cheap prescriptions, so, would it be possible to drive over the border and get your ac fixed with R-12?

Regards
John

concretebox said:
Lee, my amateur opinion is if you're replacing major parts, then do the conversion. R12 is not illegal, but it is illegal to manufacturer (and import?) in the US, that means extremely limited supply that's only going to get more limited.

No intention of using R12. Wondering if using one of the newer compatible coolants would be better with stock system, or converting to modern system with R134A?
On the other hand, maybe just use the window type 5KBTU AC via an inverter while driving....... Might need an HD alternator. Getting cooler here so no rush right now.

From my understanding the other compatible coolants are not legal for mobile applications like cars, and require a refrigerant license to purchase or a morally flexible AC technician.

I don't think r12 is legit in Canada, but it is ok in mexico. that's where the smuggled stuff comes from. highdesertranger

LeeRevell said:
The AC in my '88 E150 needs some major work.  One or more major parts need replaced.  Wonder if it would be better/cheaper to convert it to the newer system completely, or back to full stock configuration with these newer compatible coolants?

Same situation for my '89 Ford E 250.  AC has already been converted but the "low side" connector seems to be a problem.  I was told I have to take it to a Ford dealer/service dept to have it put on & r134 put in.  Does this sound right?

If the system has to be opened then yes, I'd take it to a pro. Once air gets in, a vacuum needs to be pulled to get the air out. Then the system needs to be checked to see if it'll hold that vacuum. If not there's an air leak some where.

Any shop can do AC work. Not a dealer exclusive.

The screw on adapters for 134 can be a leak issue.