Question for CDL Truck Drivers Re: DOT physical

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^Amen, I drove Metro buses (shorties) and the adults are bad enough

A lot of the physicals depends where you go. If you can choose where to get your physical then go to a small private Doctor or Chiropractor. If the company has you use there Doctor or place then it is hit or miss on what they test for. They are hot on the sleep-apnea right now. Everytime I go they measure my neck over 18in and they say I have sleep apnea. The apnea test is expensive and it is not covered by most insurances. The test cost over 1000 dollars. I went to my family doctor and got a home test machine and found out I do not have sleep apnea. I got the results and keep it with me when I have my DOT physicals.

The sleep apnea thing is a bit of a crook and is a big money maker now in the medical community. I find it sad they want to prey on professional drivers to make money. I have no doubt sleep apnea is a serious issue. They have no idea on how to diagnose it properly and cause a lot of people money for no reason.

Queen, I must admit the sleep apnea came into the picture after I was out of the industry, I can't help you there.

Rob

No signs of sleep apnea here, but I wonder what measurement they use for women, if it's 18" I'm golden. LOL

Jaco said:
A lot of the physicals depends where you go. If you can choose where to get your physical then go to a small private Doctor or Chiropractor.

The sleep apnea thing is a bit of a crook and is a big money maker now in the medical community. I find it sad they want to prey on professional drivers to make money. I have no doubt sleep apnea is a serious issue. They have no idea on how to diagnose it properly and cause a lot of people money for no reason.

You sometimes have a choice on the doctor, but for an interstate CDL you are now required to use a certified medical examiner, called M.E.

The doctor has to pass the certification process, and then he or she can give those exams.

In the old days you could go to ANY doctor...medical doctor, surgeon, chiropractor, urologist, or a phsychiatrist even, and get the physical performed.

Not that way anymore.

And yes, the sleep-apnea industry is targeting a captive audience, and they want access to a lucrative revenue that they cant get anywhere else.

Queen said:
No signs of sleep apnea here, but I wonder what measurement they use for women, if it's 18" I'm golden.  LOL

18 inches for men, and 16 inches for women. And right now, its ONLY a guideline used with a few other indicators. BMI, is one.

And if you DO fall asleep in the exam room waiting 20 minutes for the doctor to see you, your neck is over 16, your BMI is over 33, and he has to wake you up, then you WILL be sent for a sleep study. Bet on it.

But remember, as I posted earlier, you can get a second opinion.

tx2sturgis said:

18 inches for men, and 16 inches for women.

Cool, just measured, circumference around where a guys adams apple would be is 15 1/4".

Queen said:
Cool, just measured, circumference around where a guys adams apple would be is 15 1/4".

Just guessing now, with that size neck you probably dont have a BMI over 28 or 30...

Of course one other indicator for the doctor is if you were to answer some of the questions on the form with checkmarks for the questions like this:

Ever been diagnosed with a sleep disorder?

Ever fallen asleep during the daytime?

Ever had insomnia?

Etc...

Its stacked against us.

Hint: If you want to pass the exam, you know how to answer the questions.

:cool:

My BMI is something like 33, I'm just tall and carry my weight well.

Yeah those questions do set you up to fail, but a lifetime of filling out BS forms and I've gotten good at giving the perceived right answer.

I think you will be ok on this...

Really, the doctors know that truck drivers are needed. They are mainly looking for red flags, not normal issues that we all have.

Of course, they stand to be sued if a lawyer can prove that the doctor knowingly allowed an untreated medical condition, which caused the driver to be unfit to drive commercial trucks, and certified the driver anyway.

This can and does happen in truck crashes, after the lawyers get involved.

So the doctor will also practice CYA....and some of them are a little too cautious. Cant blame them really.

Biggest tip: don't go to a health clinic attached to a hospital for the physical. Many have sleep clinics next to a hospital. I go to Concentra. If BMI and neck results throw a person over, they should hand out a lengthy Q & A follow-up to fill out. Some places don't...that's the rub. Although, I noticed the dot physical long form had some Q & A's my last go around (Dec).

Also, licenses are very compartmentalized now-- Must test for each class requirement; unless one class overrides the other (class b passenger trumps a class c passenger). Class B bus is not the same as Class B school bus (two different CDL license classes) Gov't and state want their money for each class for testing.

Whoever does the pre-trip test with you, can be a bear from what I hear. The CDL manual may illustrate the key points however the examiner may want more; of which you're not aware of.

Sounds like you'll be fine. Good luck!

Yep...good tip on the location...they DO like to pay for all that expensive medical equipment...we might as well wear a hospital gown with dollar signs printed all over it when we walk in. 

BTW I forgot to list 'tanker' as one of my endorsements.....I've never driven a tanker in my entire career but I have that endorsement on the license. I HAVE driven dry-vans, reefers, flatbeds, hazmat, and doubles. 35 years of it now.

I was 'grandfathered' in when the whole CDL bidness began. During the change-over, mid 80s IIRC, I already had a Texas Chauffeur License, (that was the truck and bus category back then) and was also then currently employed as a truck driver.

They made us all take a written test, covering some new information, certify we were currently employed as a driver, and presto...we got the full monty, all endorsements, with no skills test needed.

Latest posts