Propane Tank Refills

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnailsPace

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right spot for it but here goes. Propane tank refills. We use it mostly for heat so I'm asking here. I know you can exchange them at Home Depot but I prefer to keep my own tanks if I can. And they're pricey. Would simply like to fill them but where? How do you find such places? Just learning the ropes. ?

I can only speak for here but a quick search for propane dealers is usually a good start. U-Haul is one of the suppliers as well as some gas stations.

When you're on the road, most Flying J/Pilot truck stops have propane refill stations. You can pick up an RV book at the first truck stop that will show all their locations on the continent and what facilities they have.

Rental centers , lumber yards , hardware stores , RV centers.
Try to find one that charges by the gallon.............

yellow pages, propane. Don't forget RV parks. On the bigger rigs, the tanks don't come out.

x2 on what Lee said. a lot of rural gas stations have propane. also most towns with a population of 5k or more will have propane distributors. you will get the best price from the distributors. a funny side note once in a small town we inquired about where to get propane. they told us where but said good luck the owner was MIA. it seems a couple times a year he would go on a bender and disappear for a couple of weeks. so we went there and sure enough no one was there and there was a phone number but when we called no one answered. we waited about a hour and gave up. so beware of the gone fishing sign it's not that uncommon in rural areas. highdesertranger

Thanks to all for all the great replies! I didn't know it was so readily available out here. Now I know I'll be able to find it when I need it!