Propane not enough. Why???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My propane tank goes to a regulator > 3/8 copper tubing > splitter > furnace on one side and this stove burner on the other.

The furnace runs great (perfect flame, lots of hot air), so there is no problem at least as far as the splitter.  But the stove burner only flickers a second then goes out, obviously not getting enough propane to stay lit.

I thought the problem was that the burner has it's own regulator, reducing the gas pressure even further that was already reduced at the propane tank's regulator.  So I cut the burner's regulator off and attached that thin silver pipe directly to a propane-ready rubber hose (secured with two clamps) to supply propane to the burner. But there is still only a dim flicker that goes out after a second.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to purchase a stove burner designed to run off a pipe with already-regulated propane?

And if I do need to purchase a different burner, what one do you recommend?  (Hopefully available through Amazon.)

is this a new item ? If not, has it been stored for awhile. Purchased at a yard sale ?

Recently I worked on a friends Turkey Fryer which was doing similar.

I wound up removing the fitting where the propane connected to it and took a long piece of wire and fished around and slowly withdrew the wire. It was full of cobwebs as small spiders had gotten into it. Now it works fine. This used to happen all the time to people's BBQ Grills too.

Good luck with cleaning and checking it.

Those Coleman stoves have a built in regulator (the bit with the black plastic cap). That's why you can screw a propane bottle directly to it (or run an unregulated hose directly from a large tank). So your stove is being choked by double regulation. You need to figure a way to reconfigure your propane line. That will mean not using a tank-mounted regulator and putting a regulator after the splitter, on the way to the furnace. Or it means getting a different, unregulated stove.

MrNoodly said:
Those Coleman stoves have a built in regulator (the bit with the black plastic cap)....
Yes, you are right.  When I said " I cut the burner's regulator off", I was referring to "the bit with the black plastic cap".  Guess I should have stated it the same way you did to be more clear.

Then it probably means the remaining regulator is too restrictive for the stove.

Is this an RV with a furnace that the regular cook top has been removed? Is this a permanent tank or bottles? There are adapters that allow you to convert from small disposable bottles directly to 20 lbs. bottles, so you could possibly tee in before the regulator but since you have cut off the regulator that came with the burner part you would have to rejoin it. Most cooks I camp with really like the large single cast iron burners that hook up to a 20 lbs. bottle with a regulator at the bottle and a rubber hose to the burner. One of these might work but they do use a lot of propane. There are replacement burners for RVs that should work as well if this is the case. RVs propane tanks are regulated to a very low pressure I believe so you would most likely have to tee in before the regulator on a built in tank and use the provided regulator.

please restore the original regulator.

they make a simple high pressure bypass that attaches to your tank before the regulator then you run a high pressure hose(MAKE SURE IT'S A HIGH PRESSURE HOSE) to the Coleman regulator. it's very straight forward and everything is readily available.

I can not emphasize this enough. please get ride of that Mickey Mouse hose assembly before you have a serious accident. propane is not to be messed with. almost every fitting you can imagine is available there is absolutely no reason to cobble something together. let me know if you need help finding the correct fittings.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
[quote pid='502421' dateline='1596596840']
please restore the original regulator.

they make a simple high pressure bypass that attaches to your tank before the regulator then you run a high pressure hose(MAKE SURE IT'S A HIGH PRESSURE HOSE) to the Coleman regulator.  it's very straight forward and everything is readily available.

I can not emphasize this enough.  please get ride of that Mickey Mouse hose assembly before you have a serious accident.  propane is not to be messed with.  almost every fitting you can imagine is available there is absolutely no reason to cobble something together.  let me know if you need help finding the correct fittings.

[/quote]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
Thank you most of all for your genuine caring and concern.  The world needs more people like you.
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In hunting down the problem, I took off the burner from the rubber high-pressure hose (although the gas in the hose is under low pressure) and lit the end of the hose.  SCARY THING TO DO!!  With a "whoof!" I was instantly holding a cubic foot of yellow flame in my hand that could NOT be blown out!  I had to hold the flame in one hand while turning off the tank with the other.  No more "Mickey Mousing" for me!!!
[/font]

There seems to be a valve inside of the end of that silver rod that screws to the burner, making the problem.  But regardless, I'm throwing the burner in the dumpster and starting over with this different design of burner, which I'm about to order. It expects the gas to already be regulated, which is what I have.

Thanks a bunch!

Be sure to put a non combustible material under it when you use it. Those have a LOT of heat that come out the bottom.

You might consider using an air bake cookie sheet with a 1” air space between it and the surface you are trying to protect. I personally have an out side connection and use it outdoors as it creates a lot of heat fast.