Principles of "leave no trace" ethics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
this brings up another subject, what would you say if you came up on me while I was prospecting? you know digging holes in the desert. highdesertranger

If they were cool rocks, I would probably collect a few, too.

To me there is a difference in exploring the landscape and remodeling it with rock fences.

But I also very judiciously collect wild edibles sometimes, taking care to take what is quickly renewable and avoiding anything rare or fragile.

I guess the difference is responsibly using the environment vs. abusing it. And... I'm sure that's open to interpretation, too. :)

I am so sorry to hear this Sameer. I enjoyed the Cottonwood area many times, haven't been there for 9 years though. .when last there we (my family) was saddened that the beautiful little deep creek we camped near was dry, diverted presumably for Cottonwood that could be seen in the distance. People used to fish in that creek. I will return there when able and hope the creek runs and the land is not littered.
ps, creek wasn't dried up, there was the smaller creek that ran into it further up that was flowing.