Prevent sunburn

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t001tom

Reaction score
What are the best sunscreens or strategies for van dwellers or campers who may not bathe everyday and do not want to stain clothes and bedding?

I haven’t sunbathed in over 30 years….recently I’ve been swimming outdoors & sitting in the sun… I was astounded I didn’t get badly sunburned because I only had  a Sp4 sunblock…
I investigated this going through the many supplements I take… and found out that SPIRULINA is good for preventing sunburn!!

I had been taking spirulina for at least a month before I started swimming….

Avoid full sun exposure during the midday hours 10am to 4pm. Hats and shade help.

I stopped using sunscreens & use protective clothing instead.
-crofter

As a child we went to the beach every summer and to the pool at least twice a week. Where do use sunblock got red and peeled all the time and thought it was neat. I’m getting two more skin cancers removed in the near future. Now that I am partly balding that hat is absolutely necessary. My best preventative for sunburn is an easy chair under a big umbrella with a fan blowing and a cold beverage in my hand. To life!

I don't remember the last time I might've used sunscreen. I'd rather stay in the shade. If it's not too hot I wear long sleeves and long pants. If it is too hot, I wear shorts and short sleeves but avoid the sun—because I'm already too hot.

I use to burn very quickly and one year I noticed that I could be outside in the sun for many hours at a time and actually get very little color from it.

It turned out it was the green tea I started drinking. It does something to protect the skin. I do drink a lot of it though.

RobOfYork said:
I use to burn very quickly and one year I noticed that I could be outside in the sun for many hours at a time and actually get very little color from it.

It turned out it was the green tea I started drinking. It does something to protect the skin. I do drink a lot of it though.

lol, doubt that.

for me personally the best of the best for that 'not bathe everyday you said' and don't want some oily, icky, nasty residue' from sunscreen on me if I can't wash it off.....is buy an oil free based sunscreen. Like there are a ton of 'oil free face sunscreens' out there and yes you can use on body and 'go a tad longer' before you 'feel that buildup of icky' on ya........so go with oil free sunscreen. More expensive but if you want a better longer term result wearing it that is the way to head and of course make sure ya get a fragrance free one. They are truly better than cheaper sunscreens and worth it to me. I get ya on the wash off cause most of them build up but oil free sunscreen doesn't give you as much of that and you have a tad longer til ya feel more icky.....hope my personal review helped a bit :)