Pop up Campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainDancer28

Reaction score
I was watching a video about A-Frame pop up campers and was wondering if anyone has had any
experience with this type of camper? or pop ups in general.  I'm very interested in researching and learning more about them and how the 
hold up etc... 
I'm still in the early stages of planning and considering camper living. And, still trying to decide if it's truly for me :)
Thanks, Rain :heart:

We had an Aliner for a couple of years and really liked it.

But we found out that we really, really hated pulling a trailer. We had had three stealth white vans (Nissan Quest, Honda Odyssey and a Dodge 2500, 12 passenger van) prior to the Aliner and did a lot of happy traveling with them. When we had the Aliner, we would actually pass on taking trips because we feel like we should take the trailer, and it was too much of a hassle for us. A weird guilt thing. We're about done with a conversion of a new Nissan NV hightop cargo van (of course, white) and are readying house for sale. Now that we're retired, we're out of here as soon as we can. Our youngest will live in the house while for sale.

Nice thing about the Aliner is that we had no problem pulling it with our 4 cylinder 2005 Subaru Forester, even up to 9000+ feet.
Ted

I will say...putting a pop up in the rain cannot be much fun. As long as you understand the limitations and extra care for it, no problems at all. Step up from a tent and more space than a van.

Both of the pop-up truck campers were a bit different to put up. The first one, you had to be outside to "crank" it up, this one, being older I guess, cranks up from the inside and you can get inside just by unlocking the door. Of course you do have to unlock the four hinged locks on the corners but with a small ladder you can reach them quickly and not get too wet. So, I guess they are potentially, a bit difficult, but a whole lot easier and nicer than trying to put up a tent in the rain. lol Which by the way, we have done both, in our years of camping.
Sharon

Here's a video of just how hard it is to pop-up and take down an Aliner. I can erect mine in less than 30 seconds just like the guy in the video.

Chip

While not limited to Aliners, there's a thread under "Trucks" about Truck Camper Popups. It's very recent, was the third down from top listed one today.

I have a 2004 Aliner.  I can not set it up as quickly as Sushi Dog or the video guys.  Then I'm older than dirt.  Also I only have 2 elbows and 1 ankle that has hasn't been injured in some way, also a bad back & knees and that old Ritis boy Arthur is with me every minute of every day.  That said I set a 4 step "project" ladder by the front door, unlatch the roof on both sides, step up to the 3rd step to get the leverage I need, grab the lift assist bar and give the roof a good upward heave and it's up!.  Step inside and raise the door section side wall and secure the latches and then the street side wall and do the same.  It takes me longer to set up because I need the ladder to get the height I need to lift the roof sections and I also have to stand on a small stool or the seats to secure the walls to the roof.  So maybe 10 minutes for a "instant hard sided house". 

I had a big Viking pop up that would sleep 7......I hadn't used it in 4yrs because I could not crank up the roof and pull out the bed slides.  I figure with my decrepit ol' body in 2 or 3 years if I'm able to travel I'll buy a fiberglass egg, like a Casita or Scamp.

A few weeks ago at about 8pm I lowered and secured the Aliner in 25min.  It took so long because it was full of stuff where I'd been working on it and things had to put in the lower cabinets and in the floor with some big stuff in the Safari + my 4 legged  helper wasn't much help :)    Having no upper cabinets is a drag however the Safari will take care of some storage issues.  Small cabinets sitting on the counter when set up to camp will also help.

Jewellann

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I'm still in the planning and research phase of considering making the leap to camper living. And, I'm trying
to learn as much as I can before I make any final decisions. 
Out of curiosity. Do you live in your Aframe full time or seasonally? And, how hard is the "reality" of living in a camper full time? so many questions..lol
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer  :rolleyes:
Take care, Rain

I've read comments by many folks over the years who seem to be happy with their A-liners. That said, and having had a veritable parade of campers and mohos including two pop-ups (and my folks having had several when I was a kid,) two class B-vans, two class C mohos, a Class A, nine or ten fiberglass "egg" style campers, and seven Airstreams over the years (long story... but I got a LOT of experience with them,) my take on pop-ups in general is that they have all of the disadvantages of a tent and none of the advantages of a travel trailer.

I lived full time in a 1970 Airstream Safari Special 23' single axle trailer for nearly a year back in 1987 in San Diego County where the weather is generally balmy. During the winter, I'd burn through two 7 gallon tanks of propane in a week running the furnace. 23' (20' of living space) is the smallest trailer I'd want to try that in. I had an '06 25' Bigfoot trailer for nine years that was just about perfect size for full-time living, yet easy to tow. 25' is the sweet spot for many folks... my current Born Free moho has about 25' of living area with a 32' LOA. The biggest challenge in four seasons living in an RV that's meant for short 3 seasons occasional use is a)staying warm, and b) running water. Very few RVs have four-seasons capabiiity, and fewer places that freeze in the winter have four-seasons utility hook ups. You can't wash out your sewer hose without running water at the dump station, for example. And how do you keep your dump valves from freezing (and cracking) if they're exposed? It can be done, but not easily.

After nearly sixty years of camping and traveling under my belt (my first recollection of camping was sleeping in my folks' new '59 Rambler with fold-down seats) I now have the two mohos listed in my signature and I'm really pleased with them. Different types of campers work better for different kinds of camping, family size, and travel, and those needs change as families, destinations, and reasons for travel change.

Happy hunting!

hepcat said:
I've read comments by many folks over the years who seem to be happy with their A-liners.  That said, and having had a veritable parade of campers and mohos including two pop-ups (and my folks having had several when I was a kid,) two class B-vans, two class C mohos, a Class A, nine or ten fiberglass "egg" style campers, and seven Airstreams over the years (long story... but I got a LOT of experience with them,) my take on pop-ups in general is that they have all of the disadvantages of a tent and none of the advantages of a travel trailer.  

I lived full time in a 1970 Airstream Safari Special 23' single axle trailer for nearly a year back in 1987 in San Diego County where the weather is generally balmy.  During the winter, I'd burn through two 7 gallon tanks of propane in a week running the furnace.  23' (20' of living space) is the smallest trailer I'd want to try that in.  I had an '06  25' Bigfoot trailer for nine years that was just about perfect size for full-time living, yet easy to tow. 25' is the sweet spot for many folks... my current Born Free moho has about 25' of living area with a 32' LOA.  The biggest challenge in four seasons living in an RV that's meant for short 3 seasons occasional use is a)staying warm, and b) running water.  Very few RVs have four-seasons capabiiity, and fewer places that freeze in the winter have four-seasons utility hook ups.  You can't wash out your sewer hose without running water at the dump station, for example.  And how do you keep your dump valves from freezing (and cracking) if they're exposed?  It can be done, but not easily.

After nearly sixty years of camping and traveling under my belt (my first recollection of camping was sleeping in my folks' new '59 Rambler with fold-down seats) I now have the two mohos listed in my signature and I'm really pleased with them.  Different types of campers work better for different kinds of camping, family size, and travel, and those needs change as families, destinations, and reasons for travel change.

Happy hunting!

Thanks so much for your great advice. I really appreciate it !