Planning to Vandwell in 3 years. Just loosely drawing layout, Please share critiques

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipsta

Reaction score
NnzzjWjyhJFymdnF7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NnzzjWjyhJFymdnF7

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My thoughts, still learning:[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* I do not own vehicle atm, i'm planning on a mini-van with 8x4x4ft cabin.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* Ideally I want to retain the vehicles resale value.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* Most of the time will be spent in cities, I dont think ill need water tank or toilet.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* Rear access area is closed off for bike gas smell, general storage, and cabin temp management.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* This must accommodate my folding gas scooter 3x3x1.5ft.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* I plan on charging batteries off engine for laptop/phone/lights and using propane for cooking/heating
* An open shelf design with fabric storage boxes should reduce weight and build complexity.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]* Wooden leaf insert for bed support can double as a table.
* Wash basin with all kitchen supplies quickly stows away and is movable for outside cooking.[/font]

Welcome to the CRVL forums pipsta! I'm having a hard time visualizing your plans. The first drawing is the view from the side door and the second drawing is an overhead view - is that correct? You may want to build a full-scale model using cardboard boxes to make sure that the layout is comfortable for full time living.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Yes, the first is a view from the driver side. The second is an overhead.     

One thing i've realized is the height of the couch, ill need to drop the bed form 1ft to at least 6in for sure.

I would highly recommend a vented propane heater, one without a fan if you use one at all as gasoline and open flames do not mix. You should use a sleeping bag or covers that will keep you warm without external heat as a safety precaution anyway. Since you will be using you rig in urban areas a rear raised cargo rack with a lockable vented box to hold the scooter and fuel even propane outside the van should be considered, even though an air tight wall could be built at the rear as a garage of sorts it would be much more difficult.

This isn't a critique, just an observation. Planning is a great exercise, but be careful not to lock yourself in too soon. Nothing beats real life experience.

Have you travelled in a van before? Or done any serious tent camping?

If not, I think you should find a way to do it once in a while over the next three years.

Here's a guy in a mini-van traveling with his mountain bike. https://www.youtube.com/user/forestyforest

mini vans don't have much of a resale value. I wouldn't worry about that. highdesertranger