Planning to return to van living.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkotarose1

Reaction score
Hi. My service dog Buck and I lived in a car or mini van for the better part of 4 years in my home area (leaving the car only in the bitter winter months), because of being on disability and I couldn't afford normal housing, during the oil boom. I did not mind it but I didn't not like it either. I am now living in low income housing and find I hate it. I hate being stuck, and that is how I feel... STUCK. I began wanting to be independent and mobile again. I began surfing the internet to find out if it was safe for a single female. At this time I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan Sport SE and I have also gotten a 1997 Viking pop up camper. 
I have learned so much from Bob's videos and also from other Nomad videos. I wish I had seen those videos before I lived in the car or van the first time. Life would have been so much easier! And I probably would have joined the lifestyle before instead of going back onto an apartment. Thank you to all of those of you who make videos!! I still have a lot to learn. I am still afraid of traveling without others although I do have two dogs, Buck is a full fledged service dog and Copper is in training to take over for Buck, as he is now 11. 
I have set a goal to be nomadic living by the end of summer so I can get my camper and van prepared for the lifestyle. And of course so I can get rid of all the things I acquired to live in this apartment.  
:)

Welcome dkotarose to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hi, Dkotarose. Fear is a natural thing. Good you have your dogs. I trust mine and listen to her in all ways. So far; so good. I am a single female, too. I travel, on my own, across the US and sometimes abroad. I feel as safe on the 'road' as I do in a brick and mortar. Freedom is everything. I am always aware of my surroundings and I trust my instincts. After that, it's all good. I wish you the best.

See you down the 'Road'...Peace

Thank you so very much for your response. I am scared but the more I consider it the more excited I get. I can't wait but I have a few things that I have to take care of first. Including my 81 year old dad found out he has a bad heart problem and needs a bypass and valve replacements so I need to wait to give it time to see how he goes through that and recovers. I decided I won't tell him what I am planning until the surgery and recovery is over cause he will be really upset.

I’m able to keep my housing and continue to van dwell. It does take most of my disposable income and I am relatively close to some awesome land.

dkotarose1 said:
Thank you so very much for your response. I am scared but the more I consider it the more excited I get. I can't wait but I have a few things that I have to take care of first. Including my 81 year old dad found out he has a bad heart problem and needs a bypass and valve replacements so I need to wait to give it time to see how he goes through that and recovers. I decided I won't tell him what I am planning until the surgery and recovery is over cause he will be really upset.

Yes, take care of your loves, first. This is for you, too. You will never regret the time and effort you give to those whom you love.  After, though, take care of yourself. You will be Number #1. Numero uno! Best wishes. Peace

DLTooley said:
I’m able to keep my housing and continue to van dwell. It does take most of my disposable income and I am relatively close to some awesome land.

Hi! Thanks for the response.
I don't have much disposable income. I live on SSDI. I think I would just rather get rid of my rent payment and go full time boon-docking. I don't want to be tied to my home area. That is what I really hated about living in the car before. Had I not been scared of being a lone female on the road, I would have taken off before. I like the idea that if need be (family emergency) I can easily be home in a day or two, depending on how many hours I want to drive in a day. North Dakota is quite centralized.

LathrenJames said:
Yes, take care of your loves, first. This is for you, too. You will never regret the time and effort you give to those whom you love.  After, though, take care of yourself. You will be Number #1. Numero uno! Best wishes. Peace
How right you are!
I am the square peg trying to fit in the round hole... I am so different than my family. They just can't believe all the things I come up with and this will be no different. I do love my family but I am not close to them. I see and talk to my dad more than anyone and don't see him very much either. Mostly we talk on the phone. My mom passed away from breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago but dad has his favorite children with him and doesn't need me. So I have no qualms there, but I do want to wait until he is back on his feet. 
I have rarely been happy in this type of life, always trying to fit in but I can't do it anymore. I have got to find another way, I love to travel and camp and I think this is the way to take care of me.

You will be fine. Better than just okay. 'Okay' is how most live their lives. But some of us are peripatetic by nature and 'okay' is never enough. I hope you have the best travels! Peace

dkotarose1 said:
Hi! Thanks for the response.
I don't have much disposable income. I live on SSDI. I think I would just rather get rid of my rent payment and go full time boon-docking. I don't want to be tied to my home area. That is what I really hated about living in the car before. Had I not been scared of being a lone female on the road, I would have taken off before. I like the idea that if need be (family emergency) I can easily be home in a day or two, depending on how many hours I want to drive in a day. North Dakota is quite centralized.

You definitely need to have a section 8 or project specific housing. I try to go out for three weeks at a stretch, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. With my health it is good to have a base. 

I cut the cord too and though it took awhile to get through the waitlist, etc, it was worth it. Definitely

DLTooley said:
You definitely need to have a section 8 or project specific housing. I try to go out for three weeks at a stretch, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. With my health it is good to have a base. 

I cut the cord too and though it took awhile to get through the waitlist, etc, it was worth it. Definitely

My health is not the greatest but sitting here in a low income apartment paying ALL of my money to survive here is not helping my health either. By the time I pay the rent and the bills there is no money left for anything. I rarely leave the apartment because where do you go and what do you do with no money when you live in a city? The gas I put in my van now has to last 3 months, the closest lake or park is and hour away. That eats up gas. My one entertainment is my computer. This is no way to exist and that is all it is, existing.

A Savage Adventure said:
Welcome, dkotarose1! Dogs are great companions, especially when you're independent. I love dogs. Wish I wasn't allergic. :(

P.S. - Have you read this blog post from Bob on fear?

Hello Savage Adventure.
Yes, I have read that. I got a lot out of it. I have watched tons of Bob's YouTube videos. They are inspiring. In fact, I have watched tons of lots of nomads YouTube videos, and because of watching I know I can do it and I will be okay.

dkotarose1 said:
My health is not the greatest but sitting here in a low income apartment paying ALL of my money to survive here is not helping my health either. By the time I pay the rent and the bills there is no money left for anything. I rarely leave the apartment because where do you go and what do you do with no money when you live in a city? The gas I put in my van now has to last 3 months, the closest lake or park is and hour away. That eats up gas. My one entertainment is my computer. This is no way to exist and that is all it is, existing.

Yeah, you definitely can't do both unless you are in subsidized housing.  The waitlists take time, so getting on them early is a good thing.  I can't say anything about your specific situation, but it sounds like you are good to go.

Travel well.