Planning Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
milge said:
...I could fit everything in a normal sized (not extended) van. I definitely won't be skimping on a bed and will probably get a pillowtop mattress...

Greetings, enjoy the research and dream-time : ) I know I did on our current rig (a ReigularBody RegularWheelBase Chevy with high top), and am in the process again for van v2.0
My wife and I run our double back (pillows) to front. Here is a pick without the mattress on top, and only an Engel cooler under the bed:

TCLawdInteriorSM.jpg

The platform is 75" in length and 54" in width. With a clothes closet (black doors) on street side.
The closet to the front of bed is a fold out bathroom/shower area.

Anywhoo, why I even mentioned it, is that if it were just me in there I could have some sort of flip down table from the curb side wall covering the front of the bed and use it as a kitchen table/prep area. Yes I would keep safety in mind. I would also maybe have just a twin bed on the curb side with a back-to-front floor path, and then have some sort of fold down table incorporated in the street side cabinet/closet accessible by sitting on the edge of bed.

I use a butane stove (last 5 years) and have really enjoyed it. Clean, easy to use, and cooks (for us - IMO) nicer than our previous propane stove(s). After a meal I just put it back in its case and slide it in a cupboard.

: ) Thom

accrete said:
Greetings, enjoy the research and dream-time : ) I know I did on our current rig (a ReigularBody RegularWheelBase Chevy with high top), and am in the process again for van v2.0
My wife and I run our double back (pillows) to front. Here is a pick without the mattress on top, and only an Engel cooler under the bed:

The platform is 75" in length and 54" in width. With a clothes closet (black doors) on street side.
The closet to the front of bed is a fold out bathroom/shower area.

Anywhoo, why I even mentioned it, is that if it were just me in there I could have some sort of flip down table from the curb side wall covering the front of the bed and use it as a kitchen table/prep area. Yes I would keep safety in mind. I would also maybe have just a twin bed on the curb side with a back-to-front floor path, and then have some sort of fold down table incorporated in the street side cabinet/closet accessible by sitting on the edge of bed.

I use a butane stove (last 5 years) and have really enjoyed it. Clean, easy to use, and cooks (for us - IMO) nicer than our previous propane stove(s). After a meal I just put it back in its case and slide it in a cupboard.

I just gained about 3 months of research from your picture and description alone. Thanks a ton!

Reven said:
Do you mean using the cookstove burner as a heat source?  If so, that sounds like a really bad idea.  An open-flame cooker is a very inefficient burn with lots of CO.  In an enclosed space... yikes.  In a well ventilated van you can get away with the brief times needed for cooking, but the extended burn time required for heating sounds more than a little dicey.  I may be wrong; someone please correct me if I am, but...

They have both open flame unvented propane and kerosene heaters that are approved for indoor use.  Venting  is required, just as with the catalytic heaters, or stove tops. 

Many of us  have been safely using our cooking stoves for heating for many years with proper ventilation.  Cooking stoves have the advantage of being much more adjustable than many of the heaters are.  This makes it much easier to maintain a constant comfortable temperature without the constant on/off cycling necessary with many of the heaters.

K... I guess it all depends on the kind you have.  I know my cheapy propane burner is definitely not approved for indoor use; I wouldn't trust it.  But if yours is good enough, rock on.  One less piece of equipment taking up space.

Reven said:
K... I guess it all depends on the kind you have.  I know my cheapy propane burner is definitely not approved for indoor use; I wouldn't trust it.  But if yours is good enough, rock on.  One less piece of equipment taking up space.

None of the propane stoves meant for camping are officially approved for indoor use. They aren't meant for use in tents which is what the manufacturers envision them to be used for.

Millions of households use propane as their main cooking source. My parents summer home has had a propane stove and only propane for the 50 odd years that we've had it.

When you say cheapy, what are you referring to? If it's one of the ones' that the pot sits on top of the burner on top of the 1 lb tank, I wouldn't trust it for cooking on either...way too tippy!

Almost There said:
None of the propane stoves meant for camping are officially approved for indoor use. They aren't meant for use in tents which is what the manufacturers envision them to be used for.

Millions of households use propane as their main cooking source. My parents summer home has had a propane stove and only propane for the 50 odd years that we've had it.

When you say cheapy, what are you referring to? If it's one of the ones' that the pot sits on top of the burner on top of the 1 lb tank, I wouldn't trust it for cooking on either...way too tippy!

The coleman I have is one of those tippy burners. I'm pricing out sheets of stainless steel at a local supplier. I'd like to buy a sheet and cut holes for a sink and burner. If you let one of those burners sit recessed into the counter top, it won't tip.

milge said:
I just gained about 3 months of research from your picture and description alone. Thanks a ton!

U R most welcome. I've gleaned much from this and related forums. Happy to share.

akrvbob said:
I use my propane stove as my primary source of heat and have been for a very long time.
Bob

Maybe I can get an answer here without starting a new thread. If its ok to use propane stoves inside, even for extended periods, why do insta-hot propane water heaters all require ventilation? I've been looking at some nice small, even portable units and don't want to vent it...

And hello Milge! Hope I'm not hijacking your thread :)

Oh, and interesting tidbit...I've discovered that wherever you go that has to do with RV's and has a forum, accrete is already there! ;)

BradKW said:
Maybe I can get an answer here without starting a new thread. If its ok to use propane stoves inside, even for extended periods, why do insta-hot propane water heaters all require ventilation? I've been looking at some nice small, even portable units and don't want to vent it...

And hello Milge! Hope I'm not hijacking your thread  :)

Oh, and interesting tidbit...I've discovered that wherever you go that has to do with RV's and has a forum, accrete is already there!   ;)

No problem. You also have to ventilate with a propane stove inside.

BradKW

Oh, and interesting tidbit...I've discovered that wherever you go that has to do with RV's and has a forum, accrete is already there!   ;)

Yo, Dude... : ) IF you are ever on the Oregon coast...
look us up, my wife and I will buy you a beer! You got us both laughing with that.

Cheers, Thom

accrete said:
BradKW

Yo, Dude... : ) IF you are ever on the Oregon coast...
look us up, my wife and I will buy you a beer! You got us both laughing with that.

Cheers, Thom

lol...Yeah, so just had to reply with a great example. I'm reading in the Transit forum a 4 page discussion weighing the positives vs negatives of the medium roof versus the high roof. So 4 pages of people saying "My transit has a xxx and I like it because xxx". And then, from out of nowhere, accrete appears and posts about his Chevy van :D

: ) THX Brad.
I am having fun over there (and Expo, FiberglassRV, TNTTT, etc...)

Crazy thing happened yesterday when the wife and I were talking about "Van v2.0". Somewhere in the convo I stated; "Just for the record, if we could make our Chevy work i'm all for keeping it for a few more years." She was like, OMGosh! Really? I LOVE our van.

So I guess Van 2.0 is on hold for now. Actually a bit of a relief for me. Now I will proceed with plans I had a couple seasons ago to get a better camp kitchen setup. Postponing any Van 2.0 won't slow me down on the forums. There are so many fun peeps and great ideas out there!

Cheers,
Thom