Peel N Stick Vinyl flooring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
So today we got a chance to get the subfloor tacked down, and decided our bank account allowed us to go ahead and buy some peel n stick vinyl flooring. We did use extra primer adhesive as well, as many people reported great results with the addition of the primer. As we cannot give a review fully yet. Here is what we accomplished today for anyone interested. We didn't get completely anal with some of the corners and such as we plan to fix all that with some trim and such, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• GOPR0296 copy.jpg
    GOPR0296 copy.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 54
  • GOPR0302 copy.jpg
    GOPR0302 copy.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 68
  • GOPR0305.JPG
    GOPR0305.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 76
I'd be interested to hear how that holds up in the long term.

What the product called?  Where did you get it?  Was it expensive?  
I've been wanting to replace the indoor/outdoor carpet on my floor with vinyl, but I never thought to go the wood grain look.  That looks really nice!  

I'm a little curious about the primer you used?  Can you smell it after the flooring is installed?  I'm wondering how much it off-gasses.
It looks like you used OSB for the sub-floor, so perhaps off-gassing isn't something you're concerned about.  :p

That just looks great!  I have only used peel and stick vinyl in squares. Do the strips interlock? Do they butt right up against each other?

As I have to tear down and replace the ceiling in my pop up trailer I think I'll use the vinyl wood look like you did for the floor.  I'm also painting the inside, making new curtains and trying to figure a way to make pop out insulated panels to use in real hot or cold weather.  I'm going for a gypsy wagon/rustic/primative interior look.                   
                        Sounds nutz but then I are 1   :D          TJB

We used the style selections brand peel and stick planks from lows.. For a pack it was like $80, then the primer is called tec clear indoor barrier, it came in a little jug for about $12. I didn't notice any smell really.. Tho with a sinus infection my smell isn't too good, but I'm confident if there were the wife would def let me know lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Looks really good!

That is a nice flooring choice, I put that stuff in my parents kitchen 15+ yrs ago when it was new and its held up very well for a vinyl product.

It might more accurate to call it an interlocking floating floor system than a peel-n-stick for those that haven't used it before. While you do peel off the little strip at edge and mate the opposing laps, the product only sticks to itself...creating a cohesive floating floor.

In small spaces you can seem to waste a lot of product because once you cut off the lap edge, it seems that there's no way to use the remainder. But I've found that if you run pieces thru a table saw with depth set to only 1/2 thickness of product, you can then seperate the layers, creating a new sticky tab side...

Yeah I only called it peel n stick cuz that's the section it was in, it's pretty thin and doesn't inter lock on the edges, only adhesive on the bottom, but we added the extra adhesive because many people recommended it and I figured being on the osb subfloor would be a good idea... Super easy to apply tho.. The wife did a hell of a job.. For once I just supervised this time lol

I can't quite see the beer brand, but I believe I have had it...Pretty good.

I'm not familiar with vinyl products like this.
So this flooring comes in pieces but doesn't stick to the floor, only to itself, at the edges?

How many square feet do you get in one of those $80 boxes?

Wanderer said:
I can't quite see the beer brand, but I believe  I have had it...Pretty good.

Looks to me like Leinenkugel's... Summer Shandy, I believe.

TMG51 said:

+1 here.   It's been my experience in life that anything "peel and stick" will not stick for long.   Vans get hot inside, as well as damp.  When the old floor starts peeling up, as it probably will, let us know please.

BTW, it does look good!   Nice job.

No this product does not stick to the edges.. It has sticky on the bottom of it... But as per others advice we added extra adhesive and so far so good. And the box came in 60 sq feet, we had a few left over pieces.

I only need to cover an area 4' by 6'. Hopefully it comes in smaller amounts, but it doesn't sound like it if you had extra.

One last question: Does/did it come in a single 60 square foot piece, or several smaller pieces?

I think they had single planks you can buy... And it came in single planks not one big piece.

1. What additional adhesive did you apply under it?

2. I see the subfloor you used is plywood. how thick was it? 1/4''? 3/8'? 5/8"?

3. Did you lay down insulation under the plywood?

4. Are you planning on doing any floor runners along the baseboards to cover up the cut edges?

Looks great!

We used TEC clear indoor barrier primer.

We didn't do any insulation.. Saw a few people mention that it's not gonna matter much if we don't plan to spend time in cold climates.. And we plan to get some rest of the edges cover to make it look cleaner

I almost feel like we wasted money and time since our bed covers more than half of the floor lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 30
WanderloveJosh
What do you cut it with? 
Is it easy to cut so it has nice looking edges?

TMG51 said:

It should last a VERY LONG TIME.  We had this in one part of our MMA gym where we do our standup striking and Capoeira class. Granted that we trained barefoot on it, so no shoes.....it was still lots of movements, way more than what a vandweller would put on it. These stickon flooring sheets were placed on a bare concrete floor of a warehouse gym. None came apart or damaged, that I know of, after over 5 years of heavy use....until we covered it all up with mats, but not b/c we had problems with the tiles.

I'm sure that different quality of flooring tiles makes a different. The owner of this gym also owned a tile/flooring company, so he probably used some good ones.