Passenger Window A/C Install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My passenger window installation works reasonably well for short-term use with shorepower.  We never use it though, because even at under 40 pounds, the 5200 btu unit is cumbersome to move and lift into the window.  I don't want to wrench a shoulder or throw out my back for a night of cool.  I really don't want to see my spouse do that either!

I ruggedized it a few years back by placing a stainless steel grill topper (here:  https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-812-9003-S-Topper-430-grade-Stainless/dp/B01DJHF1IQ) (got mine at Home Depot) over the fins to eliminate bending and sliced fingers.  I used double sided tape.  It fits perfectly.  Airflow is probably a little less, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

A "Universal" Air Conditioner Support (here: https://www.amazon.com/Frost-ACB80H-Conditioner-Support-Brackets/dp/B000AMKQKM( (again, got it at HD) is screwed into a block of wood, which sits on the armrest inside.  Nothing on the van is altered.

My quick and dirty window cover consists of Tyvek envelopes, stuff with batting (probably useless/unnecessary) and taped together in a window-shaped-ish configuration.  There also a couple of strips of foam in the tote bag all this goes in.

If the logistics can be improved, I would be happy with this arrangement, and am eager for suggestions!

Part 2 (somehow I deleted the "thinking out loud" part):  The a/c needs to go from floor level, out the side barn door, to the passenger side, and then be lifted into the window.  I've been think that strapping it to a grill or oven rack bigger than the base would give me (or us) something to hold onto and make it more manageable.  Are there small ratchet straps that might work?  (I think the case is too flimsy for handles.)

Moving from the floor onto the passenger seat, then to the window is another approach, but there is not enough space to use good body mechanics for leverage.  An improvised ramp, inside or out, is a thought, but it would have to be really long to do the job and storage becomes an issue.

Ideas are much more than welcome!

Attachments

• 0729181711.jpg
    0729181711.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 0729181713c.jpg
    0729181713c.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0729181714a.jpg
    0729181714a.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 4
  • 0729181714b.jpg
    0729181714b.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
Malamute said:
I have a 4runner, I hard mounted mine in the passenger side second window...
Oh yes, I have seen and admired your installation and commitment to your companion!  (My companion or I usually occupy the passenger seat, so a permanent mount won't work for us.  The back window is out for other reasons.)

Malamute said:
No side windows behind the front seat zone?
We do have pop-open windows on the side doors.  Oddly, I hadn't considered that much, and it might be a good option for someone else, so the nudge is appreciated!

There are two reasons why it is not a good choice for us:  1) the door hinges on the Express don't handle additional loads well, which would be okay if we did not need to open the rear side door; but 2) we do--frequently to access things we use daily.

Update:  We did install the window a/c in the passenger door window the other night for use with campground shore power.  It was great!

I had forgotten that my quick and dirty window cover had magnets duct taped to it to keep it relatively snug. Now that I have proof of concept, I'll make this a little nicer.

The idea of fastening the unit to a BBQ grill with a ratchet strap did provide "handles" so the two of us could carry and lift it more easily, but it was a complete failure otherwise and had to be slipped out from under it once in the window.  (A lucky camper will find a nice clean grill at the fire pit!  I had found it in the alley near our S&B, so it's on its third life now.)

Last time we tried this, my husband was recovering from a severe injury and it seemed much heavier.  He's a lot  stronger now!  Still, it would be nice to have something to grab onto so we can share the load, so I'm still looking for ideas.