Park ranger finally told us to move on...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrainChaser said:
I can't afford to live here, either, and will be selling out next spring/summer and hitting the road.

I was going to leave next spring until I realized I wouldn't be able to afford heat this winter.  I can get 3 cords of wood in NM for a little more than what they charge for one cord here.  Crazy!

LOL, we could start a group with just the ladies escaping here(I don't know how many menfolk); WA State Expats.   :p

I think I have maybe just enough wood to heat the part of the house I live in during winter. Otherwise, it's going to late to get up and early to bed. The going price for split firewood here is $180/cord. But I had to pay to have three large trees taken down in fall of 2014, so I'm using the rest of that wood. Some of it is so knotty that I can't really cut it or split it, so...... maybe I can deliver it to the RTR. Nice and dry for campfire, but won't fit into my little MH-approved stove.

jimindenver said:
It's getting that way everywhere. You need to be making good money just to exist. People don't want to see the homeless, dwellers, mobile home parks and cheap housing but where are all the grunts suppose to go when they aren't working. Anything close is expensive, a one bedroom rents for more than the payment on my house. So they go even farther out and spend the money on gas.

I agree. I do like very much where I live (Vancouver, WA) and while I'm making $1,450+ a month, I couldn't hardly afford the rent for a studio here.

Good grief, we had one of our techs complaining about the rents also and they make a tad more than I and have others in their housing situation, so they don't pay as much, but pay a good chunk of their pay for housing.

Have one new worker who says she'll probably lose her SS bennies, but she said "As it was, I was borderline homeless, this job will help me stay in the apartment and some food"

Paying more than 30% of your paycheck for a place to stay in really tough if you're on min wage. It's INSANE if you're paying 50%....I'll take my short van for now and be happy.

The rent issue is the whole point why we hit the road.... most of my pay was going to upkeep the house and pay the rent... the outrageous costs of electric was a whole other matter... I'll take the road.

Wanderer said:
Have one new worker who says she'll probably lose her SS bennies, but she said "As it was, I was borderline homeless, this job will help me stay in the apartment and some food"

Maybe you could turn her on to Justin Credible.  He's living the RV life all around Vancouver. One of his slogans is "99 problems but a mortgage ain't one" or something like that. Swap out mortgage for "rent".