Paper plates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
Recently I've been volunteering at a local museum and when I do, I spend the nights in my van at a local highway rest stop. I generally do everything including the cooking, and I end up with dishes etc that need washing. My first thought was just get one of those wide plastic bowls, put everything in there and wash it all when I run out of plates etc. But that's still a hassle, washing, rinsing, and then disposing of the gray water.

Then I remembered what my late spouse did when the kids were young, paper plates and bowls. She used to buy the cheapest she could find, i.e. 100 paper plates for $2.00, or something like that. I know it's not politically correct to buy and discard paper plates, but it would sure make life easier.

Any comments?

If you're going to be cooking as opposed to buying meals, you're going to end up with at least some utensils and a pot or two that need cleaning anyways.

Cheap paper plates are useless for most things except putting sandwiches on them. Any kind of liquid including juice from meat immediately soak through and make the plate part of your meal.

If you're just using pre-bought hot foods then sure use, paper plates and plastic utensils.

BTW, I found something interesting on a blog the other day. It was a test between using hot water and water directly out of the onboard water system for washing dishes. Aside from hot/warm water being more comfortable on the hands there was no discernible difference in the cleanliness of the dishes including grease cutting factors...interesting, I'll have to try it myself. If nothing else it saves fuel when I'm out backpacking or canoeing!

I like paper plates. I play spoons and have a suitcase full of spoons, well over 100, so I don't use plastic spoons, and for a knife I use a swiss army knife. But I don't "cook" or do food like other people here. I like to stock up on dried fruit, nuts, crackers, peanut butter, honey, granola bars, beef jerky, potted meat, tuna fish, and things that will keep for months without refrigeration. For about $2.50 I can go to Wendy's and get a junior bacon cheeseburger, baked potato, and senor coffee, plus I like to get out of the van sometimes.

Separate your paper from other trash. Save the paper to start your camp fire.

I commonly do use paper plates and bowls - the better quality types stand up to juices quite well. They have a slick probably plasticized inner lining. Of course if your knife cuts that liner, it can soak up some juice, but not much if you eat it in reasonable time.
I also use mostly plastic flatware, unless eating something that needs the strength of steel. I wash and reuse the plastic til they break. I reuse the stouter 'bowls' that some microwave meals come in.
This is all very common for us lifelong bachelors.

I've got no issue using the cheap thin paper plates. My whole environmental footpront is so much smaller than the average citizen, that this part of my consumption does not freak me out. I do get annoyed when I can't find the cheapo thin plates and have to buy something thicker and more expensive.

I use silverware, wash it in cold water or just wipe it with rubbing alcohol with the napkin I used to eat the meal. I never understood the 'dishes must be washed in warm water mentality' I simply cannot imagine wasting energy heating water to wash dishes.

I basically don't use any bowls. I eat out of the pot I cooked in. To me it makes no sense to dirty a bowl in addition to the pot. I just have a piece of wood to put the hot pot or skillet upon so I don't screw up the finish on my eating table.

I often just use my flexible cutting board as a plate too, and just clean that with half a napkin and some rubbing alcohol.

paper plates mostly, but I like china and stoneware. The same with K&F. Only need three pieces. So I like to use something classy, nifty, pretty, balanced, ect,ext,exctra. Even a GI stainless field set is better than plastic NFS.

well I am going to go against the grain on this one. I can't stand paper plates. more throw away junk. highdesertranger

I have some paper plates and Styrofoam bowls and cups around for high-class company but would rather use my dishes even with the bother of washing them. Or sometimes, I eat out of my pan. As long as the food makes it to my stomach somehow.

As am alone, I eat out of the pan used for cooking the meal. Minimal clean-up or waste.

highdesertranger said:
well I am going to go against the grain on this one. I can't stand paper plates. more throw away junk. highdesertranger

X2

People have put forward so many good ideas:
HarmonicaBruce said:
I like paper plates. I play spoons and have a suitcase full of spoons, well over 100, so I don't use plastic spoons, and for a knife I use a swiss army knife. But I don't "cook" or do food like other people here. I like to stock up on dried fruit, nuts, crackers, peanut butter, honey, granola bars, beef jerky, potted meat, tuna fish, and things that will keep for months without refrigeration. For about $2.50 I can go to Wendy's and get a junior bacon cheeseburger, baked potato, and senor coffee, plus I like to get out of the van sometimes.
I also try to buy things that need no refrigeration, powdered milk, eggs, and tinned meat, and yes, the occasional burger from a fast food place. If you're retired you should always ask if they have a retiree's special.
cyndi said:
Separate your paper from other trash. Save the paper to start your camp fire.
Excellent idea...
LeeRevell said:

I reuse the stouter 'bowls' that some microwave meals come in.
This is all very common for us lifelong bachelors.
I try to do that too...
SternWake said:
I never understood the 'dishes must be washed in warm water mentality' I simply cannot imagine wasting energy heating water to wash dishes.
I eat out of the pot I cooked in.
I often just use my flexible cutting board as a plate
All good ideas...
I use several at a time, but only throw away/burn the top one with food stains.
I use them to cover cooking pots to prevent splatter too.
Yes!
highdesertranger said:
I guess this is where eating out of the pot comes in...
Iggy said:
I have some paper plates and Styrofoam bowls and cups around for high-class company but would rather use my dishes even with the bother of washing them. Or sometimes, I eat out of my pan. As long as the food makes it to my stomach somehow.
I have some 'real' dishes and plates too, but sometimes convenience counts for more. I guess like many other things, it is a matter of figuring out what your comfort zone is.

Thanks for the good ideas...

i love em, even when i use dishes, i cover with them, makes cleaning easier just toss the paper and wipe off.

I saw one RVer on youtube wrap his plate or bowl in plastic wrap / saran wrap. I thought that was a good idea. You could also wrap your cooking pan, just the top, in tin foil to warm up chilli etc.

Although I know it is convenient to use disposables, I prefer not to when possible. I do, however, use toilet paper. :D

I used to try to be "green" but I'm not any kind of a domestic person. After my wife got to sick to do the house work, I started using as much disposable as I can. I not only don't do house work, any more than necessary to keep a clear path through the house, but I don't wash dishes more than absolutely necessary and I don't cook any more than necessary. Having a great wife to take such good care of me was a blessing while she was still with me but it has left me almost helpless now that I'm all alone. And I have no ambitions when it comes to anything domestic, except maybe find someone to stand in for Cathy, if I could find the right lady.

mockturtle I like your tiger. my buddy who I travel with a lot has one. his is a 2014 chevy diesel 4x4 but only a single cab. sorry about the thread hijack, back to paper plates. highdesertranger

Thanks for the compliment, highdesertranger! Maybe I'll meet your buddy at a Tiger rally.