Oregon increased recycling to .10 cents a can!! Kramer & Newman anyone??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMTLMT

Reaction score
Anyone in the neighboring Oregon thinking about doing a Kramer&Newman??  Seems profitable (double-up CA .05 cent ) if you're home based near the state line.

[font=arial, sans-serif]PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon’s first-in-the-nation bottle recycling program will now double the payout for used soda cans and glass bottles, and frugal residents have been stockpiling for months in anticipation.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]With other recycling options now commonplace, this eco-trailblazing Pacific Northwest state is hoping to revamp the program with the increase from 5 to 10 cents for bottled and canned water, soda, beer and malt beverages — regardless what their labels say.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-recycling-rate-10-cents-can/99902702/[/font]

hell yes 5,000 cans a month and im livin the dream!

score,havent had 10 cent return since the old large coke bottles

for those who dont have recycling,you pay for it when you buy,then get it back when you return

had a drunk as a boss once,cleaned his pile up and got $500,me like free $$$

People can always find a way to spend someone else's money in order to feel good about themselves.

Just like minimum wage, always should have been tied to the CPI from the beginning.

Few of my neighbors would be caught dead getting nickels for recycling, and it seems only the down and out devote hours a day doing so. Should be enough of an incentive for kids to do it for pocket money.

slow down. in Oregon you must recycle your cans through a vending type machine. you can not crush your cans. the machine reads the bar code, the bar code contains the state of origin. if your can is not from Oregon you ain't getting squat. ask me how I know. basically with this system it's not even worth it. it's better to just donate them. highdesertranger

Lets go get the mail truck!!!

there are machines and there is hand count,at the local country market i walk in with a couple garbage bags of cans and say $4,drop the bags in the bin and thats all but they know me

the boy/girl scouts and kids sports teams come around to collect them

you wont find piles of cans littered around

Two problems I ran into in Oregon is the vending machines frequently broke down and the homeless are often so thick around them you'd have to wait hours to get past them. I usually just gave my cans to one of them since I was mainly interested in the recycling not the money.

highdesertranger said:
slow down.  in Oregon you must recycle your cans through a vending type machine.  you can not crush your cans.  the machine reads the bar code,  the bar code contains the state of origin.  if your can is not from Oregon you ain't getting squat.  ask me how I know.  basically with this system it's not even worth it.  it's better  to just donate them.  highdesertranger

There are also the BottleDrop Bag and Hand Count method.  I don't think they scan using those methods.  I have bought same bottled water and other items at Costco in OR and in CA, the bar code are the same on those products.  Also for Costco, you can drop off your recycles at the return line within the store, they'll count your bottles/cans and give you funds back.

I'm pretty sure if some wants to gain the system, THEY CAN.  

However per OR law:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, 'sans serif']In order to earn a refund, you must have paid a deposit first. The deposit-refund system is based on the idea that a bottle is bought in the state, the deposit is paid, and then the deposit is returned to the purchaser when the container is returned. Containers bought in another state cannot be returned for a refund because no deposit was originally paid in the state giving the refund. It is illegal to try to collect a refund on a bottle or can purchased in another state.[/font]

Does Oregon require the stores who sell the bottles and cans to take them back? That is the requirement in Michigan. I was surprised to learn how much harder it was in California to return bottles for the 5 cents. Everyone I met there said that they didn't bother and just put them in the recycling. In Michigan, most larger stores have machines but they accept cans from out of state if they say Michigan 10 cent refund on them. Those cans and bottles are sold out of state and they can be returned. It is illegal but if you are small time, say returning empties after an out of state road trip, they have no way to know. Even at 10 cents, I usually dont return my bottles and cans but instead leave them on my front lawn for the residents of a local group home or otherwise impoverished people to take as needed. Or for the recycling guys who have told me that they set them aside to return after work as a perk of the job.

California has a rip off game going on with their refund. they charge 5 cents a can or bottle. but only give you back 3.5 to 4.5 cents each depending on where you take them. now I have heard that there are places that will give you 5 cents but I have not found any. also in rural areas sometimes it's hard to find someplace to take them. some towns have a once a month refund day. some towns like Needles have no place to get a refund. that means you have to go to Blyth or Barstow, not really worth it. highdesertranger

In Oregon, there is a limit to how many cans/bottles you can return per day. Stores used to have to give deposit back on what they sold, but now communities with a bottledrop they don't. (Some stores have their own machines, others hand count.) Bottledrop does check for oregon deposit label when hand counting. California has had 10 cent deposit on 2-liter bottles for years.

Bottle and can redemption is a big money maker for the states that do it since only a percentage are ever redeemed, the rest stays in the state coffers after the store's handling cut.

Connecticut has redemption for water bottles, Massachusetts doesn't, so there's quite a few people collecting them and cashing them in across state lines - only doable if you live right on the border, of course, but after an event such as an outdoor concert, the trash cans are filled with water bottles, so it could mean some extra jing for those willing to do it. Plus, they aren't gross and sticky like soda cans.

This Costco bottle/case of water was bought in CA, same upc #'s as the water sold in OR.  Redemption value is written .10 cents for OR and CRV for CA.  This validates that there are no separate upc barcode for individual states.

My original get rich plan still viable as redemption centers in OR have no way knowing of the cans or bottles origin.  

Kremer and Newman double up scheme lives on!!!! LOL

IMG_2822.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
have you tried to turn them in? when I tried mine where rejected. I was told it was because of the Bar Code. highdesertranger

What's the deposit compared to what one could make by recycling the aluminum cans? Back when I was a kid I used to scrounge beer cans out of bar dumpsters and take them to the recycling center. They'd give ten cents a pound for aluminum cans, and I usually made somewhere around $40/week---which was a boatload of money for a ten-year old kid in the early 70s.

I've no idea how much one gets nowadays for recycling cans though.

Here in WA, aluminum cans run 40-50 cents per pound, 32 cans per lb.

I've brought thousands of cans from oit of state to Michigan.  I take them to walmart.  I never cash in more than $10 at a time because more than $10 they need a manager to approve it.  It's a complete pain in the butt.

TrainChaser said:
Here in WA, aluminum cans run 40-50 cents per pound, 32 cans per lb.

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought it'd be. if I were a kid today, I'd be doing alright.   ;)