Opinions about van in this ad...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It strikes me as being too high a price but it is an exceptional rig so it might be worth it to you. The 7.3 is a great motor and that is old enough it is much simpler with little electronics. It won't be a powerhouse and it may start cold in the winter.

While the C6 was a great tranny, it was never made for the toque coming out of a diesel. Getting a rebuild by 130 K would be fairly normal. If this one hasn't had it, I'd budget for it within the next 30-40 K miles. You can rebuild them to handle the torque, but it will be expensive.

It's a tough call because of the high price.
Bob

Thanks for the insights, Bob!

I will probably just keep watching and learning for a while before jumping in.  Can't afford to make any major mistakes!

RobBob

The old chassis of my ambo was a ford e350 with that engine. All I can say is; great truck! Mine was a 91 with the e40d tranny. I drove it for 9 years with doing nothing more than normal services and a a set of glow plugs, fuel pump and a vacuum pump. Parts are dirt cheap, easy to work on with the dog house removed. Plenty of power, just don't be In a hurry to get there. Also keep a spare fuel filter onboard.

The only thing I can add is it seems from the ad that he's been trying to sell this for quite some time because he states it is all ready for winter. Sounds like he didn't have luck selling it last fall and just pasted the old ad back into craigslist. Makes me wonder what was wrong with it back then.......

I don't like buyers that act like they're selling gold, it's a van, it's 27 years old, it's god a good engine but it's entering the price range for a newer one with a Powerstroke or an even newer one with a equally dependable motor and a better ride. I would pass, a lot, quickly, and with vigor, there are A LOT of vans in that price range!

Lots of dealers in disguise of being the owner try to sell vehicles. So much overpriced with many thinking to just wait and eventually find a sucker.

offroad said:
Lots of dealers in disguise of being the owner try to sell vehicles. So much overpriced with many thinking to just wait and eventually find a sucker.

Huh...did not know that.  Definitely something to be aware of, though.  Thanks, offroad!

RobBob