Opinion on 05 GMC Savanna 80k miles 10ft cube onan, dually, heat, roof AC barn doors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephiro499

Reaction score
frater secessus said:
Looks very cool!  

At 12,000lbs GVWR it would probably have to be insured as a commercial vehicle.

Yeah that was one of the things I was concerned about.  Is the cutoff generallly 10,000 GWR?  I live in Maryland.  I had a hard time understanding the DMV rules regarding weight.  I know it is a dually so I figured it might be over 10k

in California you can register it under the GVWR. so you could register it at 10,000lbs. highdesertranger

sephiro499 said:
Absolutely genius, thank you!!!!  So glad you showed me the interior.  I would have to vote it out, way too much stuff on the walls and it would be a nightmare to insulate.  Could probably buy it and rip everything out, but would probably be above my ability.

That is an awesome truck for a build! Very easy to remove the interior cabinets, they're just bolted in. Sliding door through to the cab is great. I would seriously consider it. Licensing it should not be hard since it's for private use.

Having driving one of those trucks for years, for a different phone company those trucks are pretty much maxed out on weight. Don’t be looking to add a bunch of water or stuff, very utilitarian very short on comfort. The air will freeze you out, the Onan will run any electric heater you put in it.

Linedog said:
Having driving one of those trucks for years, for a different phone company those trucks are pretty much maxed out on weight. Don’t be looking to add a bunch of water or stuff, very utilitarian very short on comfort. The air will freeze you out, the Onan will run any electric heater you put in it.

So even after you remove the interior cabinets and the excess industrial equipment, it would still be near max weight?  Also is it true that if your vehicle is over 10kgvw and you travel interstate you have to have a CDL?  Got a lot of conflicting information on this.

I did not need a CDL in Washington state. Once you remove all the excess, overbuilt useless stuff I would definitely get it weighed again. On my truck the walls were double sided aluminum with an insulating core. The floor was aluminum also, took a beating but I’d never buy one. Mine had 120,000 miles on it and was near its end, I had it since new.

Unless mistreated drivetrain should easily go double that.

What suspension issues because of the weight?

DigitalNomad said:
This one sure looks like a deal if you don't mind the minimal standing-room height:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...stRecord=0&endYear=2003&searchRadius=25&Log=0

The van looks deceptively large, but when you factor in the truck chassis, the actual standing room inside the cargo area isn't that large. Nonetheless, that's great value for sub-$10k with less than 40k miles on it.

Wow!  32,000 miles and only $8,000?!  Unless I missed some glaring defect in the drivetrain or electrics, that's a screaming deal!

Around here that truck would sell for over $22,000. (Welcome to the $F Bay Area)...   :-/

No defects mentioned.

Doesn't mean they aren't there.

Wish I lived nearby.

Worth the price even without the back box and all that genny / inverter / kitchen? gear.

If any of that's intact and working, icing on the cake