Online backup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgil Jones

Reaction score
I'm two weeks away from driving away in my van.  Sold my business, house, property, and everything that won't fit in my van.  Just wondering if people use the cloud for daily online backup... things like Carbonite.  
 I use the automatic Icloud backup for my Iphone.  I have a external hard drive backup for my Microsoft surface pro laptop.  I also have put all my  files on Microsoft Onecloud.  

The thing I'm wanting is that automatic daily backup that the Exterior Hard drive does.  That way as things change one my laptop it is captured without me having to manually do it.  I also will periodically update the Onedrive files.  The problem I see with using the exterior hard drive as a daily backup is leaving it plugged in it's using power and If something happens to my van and both the exterior hard drive and the laptop are damaged I would loose everything that was not manually updated.

Thanks for you suggestions
 Virgil

I back up all my important stuff (book manuscript files, mostly) to a couple of thumb drives--one of which is on my keychain and always with me.

Just like in a house you should have an offsite physical backup.

If you don't travel far from home or return somewhere once or twice a year get a safe deposit box, store one hard drive in it. Every time you pass through town stop by sink the drives and swap them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Take a look at Sync.com. It creates a folder on your computer and anything you copy into to it gets saved to cloud. The first 5GB are free.

Just keep in mind that it costs money to upload large files via cell phone data.

Burning regular backup DVDs - and mailing a copy someplace safe, will probably be cheaper.

Virgil Jones said:
I'm two weeks away from driving away in my van.  Sold my business, house, property, and everything that won't fit in my van.  Just wondering if people use the cloud for daily online backup... things like Carbonite.  
 I use the automatic Icloud backup for my Iphone.  I have a external hard drive backup for my Microsoft surface pro laptop.  I also have put all my  files on Microsoft Onecloud.  

The thing I'm wanting is that automatic daily backup that the Exterior Hard drive does.  That way as things change one my laptop it is captured without me having to manually do it.  I also will periodically update the Onedrive files.  The problem I see with using the exterior hard drive as a daily backup is leaving it plugged in it's using power and If something happens to my van and both the exterior hard drive and the laptop are damaged I would loose everything that was not manually updated.

Thanks for you suggestions
 Virgil

Unless you have access to a high speed connection without limit on band width your not going to be to happy with a cloud backup. 
I'd suggest BU to external HD using a program like Acronis Home. And I'd do this to two external drives rotating them and keeping the recent one in the safest possible place you can. 
On a surface the back up will take most likely no more than 30 minutes.
MIke

lenny flank said:
I back up all my important stuff (book manuscript files, mostly) to a couple of thumb drives--one of which is on my keychain and always with me.

I like this option best. A few years back I used to back everything up on archival quality DVD's, but that became a pain to do.
As far as the cloud goes, I refuse to use them. They are really only on somebody else's hard drive and in their possession. If you want to trust somebody else, fine, but I have read that a lot of peoples little secrets were proven to have been stolen off a cloud somewhere.
Cloud is just a name contrived to give the illusion of safety and security.