"On the Road" with Charles Kuralt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick46

Reaction score
I was mentioning something in another thread in reference to the old "On the Road" TV show, hosted by Charles Kuralt.

I LOVED this show whenever it came on!! I was completely enthralled by the idea of always traveling and meeting new and interesting people...and getting paid for it too!!

The show idea was given a 3 month 'test' by CBS executives, but ended up lasting for over 20 years. He searched out the quirky, the unusual, and wonderful people of America, folks just being themselves.
He traveled almost exclusively on back roads, because, as he put it... "Interstate highways allow you to drive coast to coast, without seeing anything."

He traveled in motorhomes with a small camera crew, and eventually, wore out 6 of 'em!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nszZ8HzUxeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ba370oi09Xc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I figured the residents on this board would appreciate remembering this show.

When I read the title I thought of the novel "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. Anyone else read that book? It's been so long I really don't remember much about it.

So does YouTube have a collection of these shows? Does Amazon have a series of the best on DVD?

I remember seeing a few of the shows but for many years I worked the evening shift, so I missed a lot of prime time TV. The ones I did see were pretty interesting though.