Omelette Master's , bring thou Recipe's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmkid

Reaction score
Needed a change up from the same old scrambled egg's, in coconut oil. I use a 10" teflon (egad) coated frying pan. All I added to the inside was Kraft grated Mexican style 4 chesse in it before folding. Notice the canadian bacon, part of my diet change. Real bacon is too messy and consumes way too much time for me. But I do love nice & crispy bacon!

Any "stay on diet" type omelette that can be shared? 

Breakfast this morning.
IMG_0084.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 14
My very favorite omelette is made with leftover chili. Put the eggs down as usual and turn them then sprinkle grated cheddar then the leftover chili. Fold it over and give yourself a generous scoop of sour cream on the top. It's the BEST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fry up the whole pound of bacon crispy, then keep it in a ziploc.

Sprinkled over dozens of mostly-veg dishes adds lots of yum and mouthfeel. Spinach and other greens, pumpkin soup, potatoes, pizza, big ol' BLTs on a regular basis, Caesar salads, pasta white sauce and all kinds of eggs of course.

But I don't worry about fats, in fact re-use the rendered bacon fat, fry my eggs in butter etc.

When eating at a restaurant (bar), I usually bring 1/3 to 1/2 of my lunch or dinner back in a doggy bag...chop it up the next morning, use it as omelette filling. My personal preference is Mexican, but anything from a steak & cheese sub to spaghetti w/ meatballs works just fine. Pizza works too...just scrape the 'filling' off the slice. Stretches that expensive meal into 2.

Korean/Japanese Omelet Rice (Omurice)

You can make as plain or fancy as you want.
Here's a fancy one: https://kimchimari.com/omurice-omelette-rice-recipe-korean/
There are varying recipes if you look them up, but basically you do the eggs like you're doing normal omelet, put cooked white rice, vegies, meats(put your Canadian bacon if you want), and fold the eggs over, garnish with ketchup.

My son's Saturday morning favorite. (although without vegies, but strangely he eats kimchi fine. dang genetics)

Try adding a really sharp cheese for more punch. Muenster or blue. Try different condiments like barbeque or mayo. Another personal favorite is to wrap your omelette or scrambled eggs,veggies and cheese inside of a thin, lightly sweetened crepe.

To eggs, add a teaspoon of canned rotel tomato (diced), a little chopped onion, celery, green pepper, season to taste

Kitchen sink omelet- Put in everything you can/have but the sink.

My favorite omelet lately is made with spicy sausage, leftover cauliflower and mango/pineapple and cheese. It is about balancing the flavors of sweet, spicy and savory. Use your leftover veggies from the night before and do not be afraid of adding a bit of fruit in the mix. You will be surprised how great some of these combinations can taste. 

Making your breakfast meat in bulk for each week will broaden options.

In advance, make up a "spinach melange" can be collard, chard any greens, I make in bulk up to a gallon at a time.

I buy big smoked ham when on sale 50-70¢/lb, cut up into 1-2 pound ziplocs and freeze, so one of those bags, chopped up fine.

Or pork, loin, any cut. Even sausage meat.

If you save your fat from cooking up bacon or sausages, now's the time, lots of onions, black pepper, then the meat; once onions browning then a whole bunch of minced garlic.

Dump in your green veg, say 4-8 drained cans, or like a bushel if fresh, chopped and steamed ahead or the pot just won't fit it all.

Cook it down, let it sit hot, get all the grease and everything soaked through and mixed in. Once cool, about 2 cups per ziploc and freeze it all up.

----
Time comes you want an omelette, 2-3 tbsn of the melange in each, ideally with a good heap of Feta cheese. A strong cheddar will do nicely too.

Same can go into soft tortilla or pita, great with hot sauce!

over rice or part of a fried rice

over potatoes or fried up with a hash, onions eggs

in a white sauce with pasta, over pizza

Or as a side dish, anywhere you want veg.

This stuff will make an old boiled boot taste great..

creole.jpg

So, for a "diet" type omelette you could get all the low calorie stuff (tofu, bean sprouts, kale, etc...) and make it till taste great.  Just be careful with it, it has some pop.

I like to put a scoop of sour cream in the eggs before I beat them. As for filling I go for Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, and Avocado. Then top the whole thing off with a bit of salsa and a dab of sour cream.

I may have blown the diet part...

*My Favorite Omelette*
(I keep chickens & fresh eggs are lifted daily from the nest, still warm.) :)

My Favorite Omelette  ingredients: 
Four fresh eggs, home made pesto sauce (plenty of garlic), toasted pine nuts, Asiago cheese

Add olive oil to pan:

Pour beaten eggs into HOT pan, reduce heat & lift edges to fold eggs under.
When bottom of omelette is golden brown, remove from heat, add sea salt/fresh ground pepper.
Spread pesto sauce over half of omelette, add toasted pine nuts & generous portion of grated Asiago.

Fold omelette in half.  Leave for two minutes while pesto & cheese heat/melt.
Slide onto plate, garnish with a bit more cheese, pepper & (if you have it) fresh basil ribbons.

Bon apetit!
Charlotte

Yum Charlotte!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pesto's also a super addition to a tomato-based italian sauce, much stronger basil addition than dried.

The little jars at Aldi are not expensive, IMO more realistic than homemade, haven't seen fresh basil in bulk cheap enough for many years.

John61CT said:
"...Pesto's also a super addition to a tomato-based italian sauce,  much stronger basil addition than dried.
...haven't seen fresh basil in bulk cheap enough for many years."

Fresh picked home grown basil is one of the reasons I will never give a garden!  I start basil in my window sills,
then transplant to big tubs on the deck about June 1st---when it really warms up enough.  I cut huge amounts
3 times weekly.  Here basil does well until cool rains come in Oct.

John, you are full of surprises!  You never know, in this crowd, who might turn out to be a serious cook. :)

Cheers,
Charlotte

I figured recipes for mobile life.

Yes, loved cooking since second grade. Why would that be surprising?

Plain ole cheese and shrooms. My favorite since I was a kid. :)

Swiss or Jarlsberg specifically great with

mushrooms, pepper and garlic to taste

maybe some crispy bacon (save the fat)

Or put over crusty (garlic/buttered) bread and warm roast beef

If you get tired of omelettes :cool: