Old truck with like new Leer 43” tall cap with 63” interior height.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I am preparing for a 4-month annual winter Florida expedition.

I paid just $225 for this custom cap that was over $700 new and was used haul an ATV.

I have already made a platform bed in the front with ample storage underneath.

Although my truck is 2wd it has a 4.10-limited slip rear axle

IMG_20140418_165145.jpg

IMG_20140410_132526.jpg

IMG_20140418_165223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140418_165223.jpg
    IMG_20140418_165223.jpg
    152.2 KB
  • IMG_20140410_132526.jpg
    IMG_20140410_132526.jpg
    110.2 KB
  • IMG_20140418_165145.jpg
    IMG_20140418_165145.jpg
    109 KB
don't look like an old truck to me you must be a young fellow welkcome. If you can stand up I like it.

I bought the truck brand new in 1992 for $10,200. Just a V6 with only two options auto OD trans and step bumper. Only 136k miles but hard miles it was my light duty work truck for a landscaping business I operated for over twenty years.

I swapped out the 3.08 open rear axle for a 4.10 with Auburn limited slip to pull a trailer.

Three years ago I hit about a 250-pound black bear at 65mph just before daybreak.
Score bear dead at scene, truck $200 in parts new bumper, grille, one new marker light and some headlight bucket clips.

Bought cap off Clist just 30 miles from home. Was on 2000-2007 GM orig owner paid $700+ made to haul an ATV.

Going to put another $500 into it to make it home. Solar, vents, complete insulation etc.

One crazy thing is that crosswinds have no real effect. But it does need some aero help on top of cab roof but no big deal with 4.10 axle for maybe just 1-mpg loss at 65mph.

As the old saying goes “everything but the kitchen sink”, I actually plan to carry my own bathtub. Stay tuned.

That's a great setup! I've never understood why tall shells are so hard to find, you'd think a lot of people would want them but apparently not.
Bob

I like the cap. I don't like those clamps to hold it down. btw your truck is not old it's vintage. oh yeah welcome. highdesertranger

I had similar clamps, on a cap I had on a Datsun and almost identical ones on an S10 and had no issues, I am guessing that it is common practice on these caps to clamp them like this.
I think the reason why people don't buy high roofs is mostly for looks, most people use them as storage not to spend time in them,
You could likely improve your aero on the front of the cap above your roof but doubt you will gain much, I am pretty sure if you do some research, you will find that your biggest aero problem is at the back of your cap. If you are only loosing one mpg I doubt you will improve much on that, unless you get into a adding a boat tail.
Looks like a good set up you got started. Good luck:)

Looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a naive question to ask, if I may? Do these truck caps really have secure locks so all your belongings are safe?
What is the exact dimensions of that Leer cap so we can calculate the cubic feet?

There is the typical dual rods that most likely be defeated by getting a crowbar under the cap and tailgate and destroying the rear door and window in the process.

I plan to use a pair of small vice grips to hold the rod against the stop while I am in the camper. This will give me enough warning to reach for my Marlin .22 semi-auto that is next to my bed held in an Easy Rider rifle rack, which I can lock when needed.

To keep everything out of sight I was going to use double sided reflective insulation cut to size and attached with self stick Velcro to the inside of the windows

But any pad lock can also be broken with Freon and a hammer.

I calculate cubic feet to be 230 less front slope.

That's insane you found that truck cap that matches up. Your a fortunate man. Good find! I am totally jealous.

I have no issues spending money to outfit this cap because it will fit GM 1999 to 2007 and maybe newer.

It’s like the shell of a hermit crab but in this case if the crab throws a rod you just go out a buy another crab with an 8-foot box and most of he trucks accessories can be retrofitted.

Once your cargo or cube van takes the big dirt nap most of the time and money you spent on the living area is lost to the scrap pile.

I like it alot the way it already is set up. I am looking for caps like this for my 2000 sb f250. But can't seem to find one in decent condition, let alone a high top. For me to build one out of wood, it would cost me about $325 without any locking mechanisms, electrical or insulation.

Your shell did give me some ideas for mine.

As I am in the planning stages the ideas I have glean from this forum is that of a more minimalist approach thus keeping weight down and fuel mileage up in the 17-18 mpg range.

The more weight I add is going to kill off fuel mileage, handling, and semi off road capabilities.

With a new set of Goodyear Wranglers and a limited slip rear axle I can travel on unimproved roads were conventional RV’s have no access.

I would like to have more of those capabilities, but with my 2 wheel drive f250, I am very limited. I get about 15 mpg highway with my truck currently. I took a trip to about an hour west of las vegas a few weeks ago and got 15 -16 mpg.

I love the truck with a tall cap idea. Excellent stealth and if the truck is irrepairable, move the cap to a new truck.

The big problem, and main reason I would still stick with a cargo van, is entering the living space.

Hoping over the tailgate etc is just not going to work when you want to be stealthy.

I am not into street life or staying on the hard at Wal-Mart when I can hit the buffet and stay at the Flying J.

For instance a non-resident Fla. Fishing license opens up a new food & motel chain.

I can camp 24/7 for free at Casey Key Beach in Sarasota County between the gulf and intercoastal by just putting out an old lawn chair and a $2 yard sale pole and reel in a bit of PVC pipe stuck in the sand during the overnight hours.

The problem with the ruck cap is if you use a small, economical truck like the Tacoma, you can only get about 139 cubic feet with his set up, have all the wind resistance at that height, and are limited with parking garage and drive thru heights. A minivan behind the front seats has 150 cubic feet.

My situation is more hybrid where I have somewhat of a conventional non-moveable residence, with a traditional occupation where I have to show up at a specific site for 7 months per year.

But for the other 5 months my lifestyle is more like a retired snowbird Rver but without the $400k diesel pusher.

And then this concept is also a hybrid. My interests, truck, and equipment are between the full-blown 4x4 way off road expedition types and the conventional RV traveler that stays at sites with w/s/e hookups and the social scene of the community clubhouse and swimming pool.

This is not my first rodeo with this lifestyle. Back in the winter of 2000 I traveled a total of 6000+ miles as far south as Key West in a 1977 Dodge maxicamper van that got 11mpg, but fuel was $1/gallon and my economy was booming but this time around it’s going to be not as far with a tight belt and wallet.

This time around I am calling this upcoming expedition as semi-wilderness Rving. If my daily driving limit puts me close to a Wal-mart or Flying J consider me an overnight guest. But on the other hand if I can find a deal at a commercial campground, where for just one night a week I can have access to a hot tub, swimming pool and gym sign me up.

For instance I plan to spend a month in Ocala NF. During my time there I will rotate every three days between a no or low cost campsite and one of the four campsites that feature the 72-degree temperature crystal clear streams for one night at $21/night.

When I get to South Florida in January I will be buying a recreation (camping) permit for Avon Park Air Force Bombing Range for $40 (annually) but no access in hunting season Oct 1 to Jan 1. That gets me in the gate (stay behind the velvet rope please) a non-hookup site at three semi-improved (flush head, cold showers) campgrounds from Thursday afternoon thru Monday at noon (they bomb on Tuesday). During mid-week I have a choice of four other nearby campgrounds. Lake Wales SF $5/night primitive, Lake Arbuckle Park (Polk County) $10/night improved flush and hot showers, Highlands Hammock State Park $5/night primitive section but with access to modern bathhouse (hot showers), Hickory Hammock Equestrian Campground free primitive but need online Permit that requires 10 days advance notice.

In conclusion you too can spend the winter in Florida without squatting for about $100 per month.