Oil Lamps for Lighting (& Minor Heating!)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's made for boats and 'should' be reasonably airtight. Small chimney (stainless steel) and a small firebox. I suppose that burn time would depend on what you chuck in it, but I doubt that it's anywhere near an all-nighter. I once had a book on wood stove design that showed how to make a more efficient stove, but lent it out and it disappeared. Still know how to make one though. It utilized a double wall that forced the flame to travel around and under the firebox, then back up and through the doubled top 'n out. There was a flap that allowed direct venting up the chimney for starting.

What does everyone think of the explosiveness of running a Mr. Buddy heater while lamp oil is being stored?

Belinda2 said:
What does everyone think of the explosiveness of running a Mr. Buddy heater while lamp oil is being stored?

Just keep them far apart and you should be fine.

I'm sorry, it's something I know nothing about.

You may want to check into survivalists/prepper forums, they would probably be more likely to have an answer.
Bob

Belinda2 said:

Lamp oil and Mr Buddy will coexist just fine. Any fumes from lamp oil is not explosive like gasoline. I have used both at the same time, no problems.

Where~the~wind~blows said: "It seems all I use it the pilot light on my little buddy just to keep the chill off. "
I have also used the pilot light on my Mr. Buddy propane heater for heating the van at night for many years. (I also cut the handle part off the Mr. Buddy and mounted a grill over it and heat water at the same time in a 30 stainless steel pot, which I had from my beer brewing days. - I now use metal strapping tape to hold the Mr. Buddy together.) I have several openings at the bottom of the van to let in air and the doors let in a lot of air. I hang a curtain between the van cab area and only heat the back 6' bedroom area. Propane is cleaner than liquid fuel although it doesn't smell as good when it leaks. I donated my oil lamps to avoid using them for anything because they were made of glass and would break too easily and the cans of fuel were a bother to store safely. I have 3 fire extinguishers handy.

Club Wagon Camper, sounds like an ingenuous use of the Mr. Buddy! If you still have the Mr Buddy I'd love to see some pics of it!
Bob

It is true that oil lamps have been used throughout history, but most of those living spaces were large or drafty. I don't like to sleep with open flames for a number of reasons, but there has been times when I have.

I have used a propane camping lantern for heat. I liked the smallest ones made for back packing. I made a shade for it out of a metal coffee can. Drill some holes into the bottom of the can, tip it upside down, and put it over the lamp. don't try to take it back off without something on your hands like towel, (don't ask me how I know).  The downside to propane is the mantels are fragile, but if you are careful, they can last.

With oil, it can put out a lot of carbon monoxide if it starts to burn dirty while you are sleeping. All that unburnt fuel vapor is also going into your lungs. Vans do not have the same air volume as even a small room.  Whatever toxins the lamp puts out will be concentrated. Even with a window cracked, I would be afraid to close my eyes with an oil lamp burning. Propane burns a lot cleaner.

In my home I have several small Hurricane Lanterns. (under 10" tall)  I keep them in the case of power outages
and can take them along for week end camping.   I generally purchase K 1 Kero as there isn't the potential for
odors.  At camp I have Tiki Torches that I burn Citronella infused Kero in.  These are open flame where the Lanterns have a glass enclosure for the flame.

One of the things I do with these small lanterns is to save the small metal pans that those small lunch box pies
come in.  When washed and cleaned well I use a paper clip to mount them on the lantern so it provides a reflector.   With the larger glass Kerosene lamps at home I use 9" tin pie pans from standard pies I get at
the grocery store as reflectors.  These mounted  with paper clips also to the top rim of the chimney.

I find that early in the season these can be purchased inexpensively when they first put them out.  Also
by July 4 they tend to sell them 1/2 price to clear the way for back to school.

Fuel & flame is inherently dangerous so I take precautions and don't leave these devices unattended.
Still there is something about lighting born of flame that has a unique appeal from time to time.   And I still
keep flashlights about so I can travel from room to room to light or extinguish these lamps.

51-jg2cyJgL._SY300_.jpg

I've also found a few small lamps like these in yard sales & flea markets for a buck each.  Usually the wicks
are gone or burnt to the point they don't reach into the fuel reservoir.  But new wicks can be purchased at
hard ware stores inexpensively.   I often staple wicks together with a stapler so that there is plenty of wick
in the reservoir and that it will be drawn up when the wick needs adjusted.

TAY_2440.JPG

I always roll the wick down after extinguishing it so the fuel won't evaporate into the air in order to conserve
fuel.

I use solar lights nightly. However, I keep the lamp oil lamps (4) small ones in my emergency box. I never burn them when I sleep. I can get about 25 watts worth of light with them, all lit, if I need it. What I like about them, is candles burn down into the wax and the flame gets small. Lamp oil is an instant light with a strong flame for light the whole time.

I never thought that I would spill a liquid fuel all over the insides of my van, until I spilled a liquid fuel over over the insides of my van.

I had a bottle of lamp oil that I put in my underwear drawer to cushion it for traveling. I didn't realize that a little had seeped out until I put fresh undies on and soon felt a burning sensation. I couldn't figure it out at first and thought I had an STD! Eventually I smelled that oil odor, removed the underwear, and identified the problem. Whew! I was freaking out for a bit! Lol

MK7 said:
I never thought that I would spill a liquid fuel all over the insides of my van, until I spilled a liquid fuel over over the insides of my van.

It's never a good idea to fill anything with a liquid fuel when indoors, whether in the van or not. If I have to do it indoors I do it over a kitchen sink or in the van, over a dishpan so that if I spill anything it's contained and easy to deal with. I much prefer doing it outdoors.

I also decant the gallon of methyl hydrate into a one quart container for use and for filling the little bottle I take camping with me. Saves a lot of spills, pouring from the gallon into the little plastic container is almost impossible.

Iggy wrote, "felt a burning sensation. I couldn't figure it out at first and thought I had an STD" lol, you almost owed me a new computer with that one. I gagged on my beer had to spit it out. highdesertranger

Glad I could help. I can laugh about it now. :) Now everyone knows how to play an evil trick on a deserving target. Lol

Latest posts