Off road aids, ramps, ladders, bridges.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimotos95

Reaction score
This longer wheelbase one wheel drive chevy on 29" tires has me thinking after already having to move rocks to get into a camp.
Sand ladders, traction boards, telescoping bridges, large flat objects you drive on, they are pretty standard equipment on RTW type overland rigs but the one's that are designed to bear the weight of a vehicle unsupported over a gap or up a ledge are expensive. The inexpensive ones and your standard 2x4" with traction added probably are not safe to bear the weight of a van.
Other than the obvious use of adding traction to get unstuck I really see them being beneficial in the desert where a monsoon can turn a minor dip in the trail into a tire swallowing ditch.

Anybody know of cheaper options? Obviously zero liability at your own risk type stuff.
I'm thinking a 36" long 2x10 or 2x12 with 2x2 runners screwed in the bottom lengthwise would do the trick

Just what I needed an excuse to go to every military surplus store I see :)

As for the rear end if I keep it long term that's an option but I wouldn't put the money into the 5 lug 10 bolt rear end these 3/4 ton vans came with. An 8 lug 14 bolt or Dana with lower gears would be in order.
Right now first priority is replacing the hi-lift I gave away with my pickup, then tire chains then I am hoping for some sort of serious device like those landing mats.

I have a pair of 2x8's that I use for leveling and fording wash outs. Sometimes I use my leveling blocks as middle supports if the wash out gets too big. I am not taking too big of a gap nor do I cross a wash out getting into camp because it will be even larger after the next rain. One thing I recommend is a full sized shovel.

"I'm thinking a 36" long 2x10 or 2x12 with 2x2 runners screwed in the bottom lengthwise would do the trick"

Make sure it's plywood (bolted together), not just one-chunk boards, which have been known to split apart lengthwise under stress/weight.

I'd suggest carrying wooden staging planks if you decide to go the 2x8 or 2x10 route. They are much much stronger than their framing lumber counterparts. If you want even stronger ones, get the LVL staging planks. They are very heavy and robust pieces of lumber. I cut a few of my older ones down and have a few 3 ft, 4' and 5' sections. I also have a bunch cut down to 12" for leveling blocks.

ERLH: That's a new one for me! I had to look up 'wooden staging planks' to see what you were talking about. They're also called 'wooden scaffold planks' (you have to include 'wood' because many are metal): http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2014/03/05/whats-the-difference-wooden-scaffold-plates

Your advice sounds good. But where would you find something like this, locally? HD and Lowe's don't carry any but metal ones.

I learn something new every day!

TrainChaser said:
Your advice sounds good.  But where would you find something like this, locally?  HD and Lowe's don't carry any but metal ones.

I learn something new every day!

You can buy used ones on CL quite often.  Usually no longer good for holding up people (safety concerns) but perfectly good for cutting up into smaller sections for other uses.  Often times being able to cut out all the defective areas.  

Other than that, most lumber yards carry them.  Most construction companies have switched to aluminum gang planks, but I think these still serve their purpose well, roofers still use them on steeper roofs.  I bought two 16' ones last year for my house remodel and I think they were about $70 each.  Not the cheapest thing to go cutting up, but again, much much stronger than traditional framing lumber.

Have no idea if this would work and am sure OP will let me know  if it's a myth.  Would the synthetic deck boards be something that could be used with maybe some reinforcement.  I have never used this product for any purpose, but  I wonder if it might be less likely to split than wood.  I also don't know if it would have enough flexability to be useful.   Like I said I'm just wondering out loud.

If the concern is a 2X12 plank splitting, a layer of plywood, even thin plywood, glued and screwed to each side should prevent that from happening.