Not Waiting for the SHTF: Canvas tent ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<font face="Georgia"><font style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);" size="3">All these suggestions are appreciated and have been looked at.&nbsp; We have a plethora of saved auctions over at eBay and bookmarks on our puter as the time is edging closer for us to make up our minds and make the purchase.<br><br>I'm wondering though if I've made myself clear.&nbsp; This tent will be our "home". We will be living in it day in and day out.&nbsp; Personally, I think about MASH.&nbsp; They lived in those tents day in and day out, had running water, took showers, cooked, ate meals, shaved, blah, blah, blah. you feel me???????&nbsp; THAT'S what we'll be needing for two adults and three children.<br></font><br></font>

<font style="color: rgb(102, 0, 204);" face="Courier">Know something else I think about . . . Abraham, the Nation of Israel.&nbsp; Those people trecked in the wilderness for 40 years.&nbsp; Whatever they had must have been good, LOL.&nbsp; What about nomads of today . . . they're using SOMETHING that works.</font><br style="font-family: Courier; color: rgb(102, 0, 204);"><br style="font-family: Courier; color: rgb(102, 0, 204);"><span style="font-family: Courier; color: rgb(102, 0, 204);">I'm checking out a site now tentsmith.com to see what's up.<br><br>Lyric<br style="font-family: Courier; color: rgb(102, 0, 204);"></span><br>

.   Whatever they had must have been good

They had God. I don't think He does tents lol.

Maybe for special requests, though...

If you are taking showers inside the tent, mold is going to be a debilitating issue.<div><br></div><div><br></div>

Seriously, what ever you get I wouldn't stint on quality. For the living area strong walls, with floors, double stitched seams already sealed. Purchase seam seal and go over everything in addition. Good ventilation.

Are you going to be in the same spot for a long time? A shower tent, with no sewn in floor. Use wood pallets for the floor. A separate small gas /wood heater for the shower tent. Perhaps a chemical loo as well.

Heat water on the heater/stove for washing when a shower is not practical.

Did I mention bug netting?

Something like these...

Not a cheap site, but they're made for long term. Check out some of the options like stoves and water heaters for ideas.

They've got a small cabana for about 150 that would make a great outhouse.

I've spent several months in those ten man arctic tents with a bunch of other marines. A bit too cozy. Easier to heat though, due to their design. The side walls aren't that high, as I recall. Been about 30 years, so my memory might be a bit faulty. Second trip to Norway I had the chance to sleep in a cp tent and jumped at the chance....

A surplus site

GP tent for livin g area (875 used) and a CP tent for the shower and bath (525 used).

CP tents generally have the back section separated by a canvas partition - good place for the toilet.

<P>
Seraphim said:
. &nbsp; Whatever they had must have been good<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>They had God. I don't think He does tents lol.<BR><BR>Maybe for special requests, though...
</P><FONT color=#ff00ff><b>And manna in the morning and quails in the evening for meat.</b></FONT><br><b><FONT color=#ff00ff>Dragonfly</FONT></b><br>

The whole "in the desert" thing would have been a logistical nightmare.<div><br></div><div>Just imagine the poop problem.</div>

People live in Sibera, Northern Turkey, Northern Canada everyday in Tents.<div><br></div><div>Look into getting a few smaller tents cover with a larger Canvas Tarp. How about making your own Yurt/Ger, I can send you some plans.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have lived in Tents before during the winter, spring, etc, all year round. The shower can be managed, by using some pallets and some checkered rubber matts,&nbsp;ventilation&nbsp;and they are quite fine.&nbsp;</div>

Journeyman said:
Any time I've ever needed a tent that size I've made it myself. I found it was cheaper and easier to buy 6 tarps of the size I needed for walls, roof and floor, 5 wooden closet poles and a large spool of plastic coated wire to sew it all together. Also add additional grommets to tighten up the seams. It goes together easily and fast, comes down quickly and easily. And I could store all my tarps in a milk crate. Remember to make the center pole at least 6" longer than the corner poles.<div>My tent was only 12' x 12'. Yours being 30 x30 I'd say use an additional pole in the middle of each wall, and at least 12" longer center pole. You might even try two center poles spaced 8' apart.</div><div><br></div><div>dennis</div>
<div>Question do you own the land? Have a&nbsp;permanent&nbsp;place to live on land or will you be nomading it or stealth nomads?</div><div><br></div><div>This was one of my thoughts as well, you can buy the smoke ring / smoke hole as that is quite complicated and hard to do, then just sew it into the tarps, either good quality poly tarps but better yet, Canvas Tarps.&nbsp;</div>

"<span id="post_message_1272450594">They had God. I don't think He does tents lol."<br><br>Without a doubt.&nbsp; Get this . . . so do we.&nbsp; We serve the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (but that's another story, another time). ~~ Wink wink~~<br><br>e.t.a.:&nbsp; And, they dwelled in tents.<br> </span>

And, they dwelled in tents.

But they made their own - or liberated them from the Canaanites and surrounding kingdoms *grin*