Noob in Vermont says "Hi!"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lana_starr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I love the information and generosity of knowledge around here. 

I've been lurking for a while and recently decided to make the transition back from house to rolling house, but in a more permanent manner. I spent the last year living out of my '02 Camry and/or my backpack and want to build something beautiful that feels like a more permanent, although not stationary, home. 

I'm giving myself a few months to finish saving up, find the right vehicle, and work some conversion magic. Deadline is moved into the van May 1st, because I'm traveling for work most of May and REFUSE to pay rent on a house I'm not even in! In my dreams it will be lovely-cozy and summer-winter capable, and I'll finally be able to get a pooch to travel with.

Thank you for all the knowledge and stories you've already shared, and I look forward to meeting some of you on the road!

Aloha,
Lana

Welcome to the CRVL forums Lana! Keep us updated on your progress!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

You'll have the summer to get everything ready for a winter in Vermont, if that is the plan. That's a good time frame, assuming you are working enough to afford upgrades and not too much to have time to implement!

DLTooley said:
You'll have the summer to get everything ready for a winter in Vermont, if that is the plan. That's a good time frame, assuming you are working enough to afford upgrades and not too much to have time to implement!

I work for a couple months straight with a short half-time period in between over the summer. I'll be flush but not so sure about the free time. :p I'm on half-time until mid April though, so I should be able to put in some good hours if I can muster the cash... back and forth, back and forth. It will work out. :)

Welcome. I spend most of my summers around Burlington, Vermont. Say hello if you ever see my giant crazy van.

Welcome Lana..

Sounds like a grand plan for sure. Heating seems to be an ongoing issue for many folks who travel the cold country in the winter months. There's some great info throughout the forums on heating options for all sorts of vehicles. I love the videos of van mounted wood burning stoves, very nice...

@TMG51 - I sure will!

@Cheroki - Thanks!

@Deal Breaker - I will definitely be looking into those if I'm staying in the van over winter. I read that since they burn dry they solve any potential condensation issues. Plus the ambiance is magical, takes me back to being a kid in the mountains! Price is the big hangup... definitely not investing until I know I'll use it! :p

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I am producing a documentary on vehicle living. As part of the project we will be tracking a few people as they transition into a vehicle and hit the road. I would like to talk to you about a potential interview. Please reply if interested. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Ken [/font]

I am in Southern California saving up for a van to live in. I intend to head for Burlington VT when it gets closer to Summertime. I lived there for a few months when I was a teenager and have always wanted to spend some time there during the warm part of the year. That is how I got the idea to get into Vandwelling.