Noisy differential

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskybob

Reaction score
The differential on my Chevy van started making growling noises while we were in the Yaak (Montana)last summer.I drove it the 2000 miles home anyway without breaking down.Got estimates for repair for $500 to $800.I'm not an auto mechanic and hate working on autos.Anyway,I pulled up some things on utube about the Detroit locker that Ihave.It didn't look too complicated,so I dived in.I had a bad carrier bearing and a bad pinion bearing.I bought a bearing and seal kit from Oreilly for $70 and dived in.I had to buy a dial indicator to check backlash and an inch pounds torque wrench to set the bearing preload.Took my time and everything went fine.My total cost including tools was around $150.Thank goodness for utube.

Even if we don't end up doing the work ourselves, watching repair videos can give us an idea of how simple or complicated the repair is and whether the quote we get from mechanics are fair or total bullsh!t.

Thanks Rat.After I realized I needed to jack the rear end high enough to sit under it instead of lying(lieing Laying?)on the ground things went much better.

That's cool you went for it!  For some reason people think gears are something mysterious.  Pretty straight forward really.  Just big heavy metal parts and stinky gear oil.  All you need to do is get the pattern right and you're in business.  I'll bet you're totally jazzed you saved some money and did it yourself.

Good job! I couldn't work on mine so I shelled out the $1200 to get half of it rebuilt. A shim committed suicide. You'd be surprised at the mayhem a very thin piece of metal can cause!

Latest posts