No place to build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I still haven't made up my mind on whether I will be getting a cargo van or a conversion van but no matter what I get, I'll need to make modifications. 

I live in an apartment complex and cargo vans are not even allowed in the parking lot.  I might be able to get away with a conversion van but I'm not sure.  Regardless of whether I can park there or not, I will not be allowed to work on it there.  No climbing under your car, definitely no changing oil and even adding oil is not encouraged.  Cleaning your car is only allowed in a special section of the parking area.  Even if you have a car vac, you can't use it in the lot.  So you're getting an idea of my restrictions. 

I don't have any friends who have driveways.  Only one friend has a garage that they enter from an alley and there's no driveway to speak of where they can park a car and work on it. 

So that's the big question:  Where am I going to go to work on this?  I guess I could go to a park or out in the Home Depot parking lot.  All my tools would need to have battery packs as I can't imagine where I could go where I could tap into power.  I'd have to be able to spread out a little bit around the van to accommodate sawhorses. 

This is one of the reasons why I saw a conversion van as a better option:  less build.  Now I'm seeing that I probably need to at least build a bed or pay someone to do it for me. 

I think this is the one time I miss having a house with a garage.

Take a look at ViaVacavi's construction techniques, foam, window screen, and using a metal folding bed frame from Amazon.  It's light weight, easy to build, and above all the overall build requires very little cutting with power tools.  This means it's not only light weight, but quiet to build in this fashion.  You can build most of the items on your kitchen table after taking measurements and making templates for curved pieces as necessary out of cardboard shipping boxes or using a roll of rosin paper from Home Depot or poster-board as alternatives.  Most of the cuts are with a utility knife, scissors, and paint with latex paint, then apply the finish technique of your choice.

Once your cabinet section is built, you simply carry the lightweight unit out to the van and stick it in place.  Wood reinforcing sections would be minimal and you could probably cut them with a hand saw.

AngryVanMan said:
Take a look at ViaVacavi's construction techniques, foam, window screen, and using a metal folding bed frame from Amazon.  It's light weight, easy to build, and above all the overall build requires very little cutting with power tools.  This means it's not only light weight, but quiet to build in this fashion.  You can build most of the items on your kitchen table after taking measurements and making templates for curved pieces as necessary out of cardboard shipping boxes or using a roll of rosin paper from Home Depot or poster-board as alternatives.  Most of the cuts are with a utility knife, scissors, and paint with latex paint, then apply the finish technique of your choice.

Once your cabinet section is built, you simply carry the lightweight unit out to the van and stick it in place.  Wood reinforcing sections would be minimal and you could probably cut them with a hand saw.

Excellent.  I'll read through that tonight.  Thanks much!

The limitations that people willingly accept for a place to live are absolutely mind boogling!

HOA's and whiney neighbors.........

Sadly, I have a cousin who lives in such a place (HOA community) and he'll be the first to turn you in for any infraction!
He just had a run in with a neighbor that built a shed and didn't use the same roof and siding as his house has! ....... and you can see it from the street!
I love him but what an A-Hole, we'd never be good neighbors.

But if he needs an oil change or something done..... guess who's house he shows up at???

Dave

I'm living in a van and building a newer van. I do mist of my building in Home Depot parking lots but also sometimes just do it on the side of a road in a less busy area away from peoples houses. Often the work is done inside the van sI no biggie. Rechargeable drill etc are essential for the build and afterwards.

OAI stole my thunder. I've also seen other van dwellers on YouTube work on their vehicles in Home Depot or Lowe's parking lots. If you do so, you might ask the store manager if it's okay and park somewhere where you're not as noticeable. Probably goes without saying, but just in case, you should also buy all or most of your supplies and tools from the store if they allow you to use the parking lot to do your work.

Another option might be to put an ad in Craigslist, maybe even offer to pay for use of the space.

Another option would be to scout for abandoned lots and use those.

@djkeev: Why is someone an a#@hole because they want other members of the community to abide by the same rules that they abide by? You definitely wouldn't like me for a neighbor as I'm that way for the most part. Although, I have changed because the HOA of my community seems to pick and choose what they want to enforce and they pretty much ignore any violations I've brought to their attention. I will say this though, if I ever buy a house again, it will NOT be one where an HOA is involved. I'm tired of having to get permission to do things to the exterior of my home.

if you have the rechargeable tools and a couple batteries go to a park or wilderness area and go for it,if anyone ask just tell them about the ahole apartment rules and they will understand

@Gary68: Don't agree with the rules being ahole. Unfortunately, there are those who aren't courteous about cleaning up after themselves when working on their vehicles or who dump oil or other engine fluids on the parking lot or down a storm drain, so I understand why such rules exist.

introverting said:
@Gary68:  Don't agree with the rules being ahole.  Unfortunately, there are those who aren't courteous about cleaning up after themselves when working on their vehicles or who dump oil or other engine fluids on the parking lot or down a storm drain, so I understand why such rules exist.

then come down on them hard,dont make rules for the 99.98% who keep things clean and dispose of things properly
why punish everyone for the actions of the very few?

not saying it's political...but it's political :rolleyes:

Gary68 said:
then come down on them hard,dont make rules for the 99.98% who keep things clean and dispose of things properly
why punish everyone for the actions of the very few?

Because they are not willing to confront the jerks.

mothercoder said:
Now I'm seeing that I probably need to at least build a bed or pay someone to do it for me. 

There is a YT vid of a fellow living in an NV2500.  He found 2 matching short dressers (like 3' tall) at a garage sale or something.  He used that as the supports for his bed platform on either end.  Readymade drawers with room between the units for storage!  Everything L-bracketed together. 

I think this is a terrific idea.

During the mid week in a state or county park, unless it is high camping season, the place is generally pretty much deserted.

When I travelled full time as a crafts person doing art/craft shows and festivals I would set up a couple of portable tables under my canopy and run everything from a skill saw to a belt sander.

Occasionally park staff would come around to see what I was up to but never once did I get a complaint about the noise. Mind you, I always chose the most out of the way campsite I could find.

Perhaps, given the restrictions where you are, the best thing you can do is to have all the wood planned out, buy lots of screws and head out to a park for a few days.

It does mean figuring out how to live in the middle of a construction project...maybe need a tent along to either store stuff or to live in while you build the van.

Don't forget that the lumber yards will do all the major cuts for you. I can't handle a full sheet of plywood so all my big cuts were done before I left the lumber yard.

This reminds me of an apartment complex I lived in, but with an intelligent owner
Same 'no working on cars' rule, but I rebuilt my whole front end in the lot one weekend
Then some other guy tried to fix his car and caught flak for it, when he couldn't get it fixed
His response to it was 'you let that white boy get away with it'
owner's response 'that white boy rebuilt a front end in a day and a half, and didn't make a mess'

I see having the rule, but think some exceptions should be made
as far as no cargo vans being parked there, that is utterly stupid and indefensible, what if you own one you use for work? you just can't live there? stoopid stoopid stoopid no way would I allow my landlord to dictate to me what kind of vehicle I drive

now as to advice you can use, no build buildout
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html

of course you'd still want to improve on it later

most work is done inside the van.
Home improvement stores
Your parking places.
Carwashes.
Invertor , powerdrill ,  jigsaw , soldering iron , vacuum
They make impact wrenches that can be powered from invertors too , powerful enough to remove lug nuts , goodbye air tools

Ask a church for parking lot use on non-service days/time? Often there is staff there anyway. You might even do some handy work for them as a thank you? I find most are nice to strangers as they want another convert for their mission :D One church I plan to boondock at (if need be) rents spots overnight to commercial vehicles at the far end of their parking lot.

As soon as it gets above freezing here I'll go out to the trailer and crudely hook up the system just enough to get the inverter on line. That will let me use my power tools without bringing it home every time. The HOA says I can bring it here for 24 hours at a time but it crowds the street getting the city's attention.

Cordless seem better but I prefer corded. Nothing is worse than having to stop mid job and wait for a battery to recharge

Maybe ask around and offer to pay for a spot in a regular homeowner's yard? Offer to trade some work? I know some elderly ladies that can't afford the $25+/hr of a handyman, but need some relatively simple work done. If you could find someone like that, you might be able to work a deal and use their electricity.

Some locally-owned grocery stores around here have bulletin boards.

TAlmost There said:
During the mid week in a state or county park, unless it is high camping season, the place is generally pretty much deserted.

When I travelled full time as a crafts person doing art/craft shows and festivals I would set up a couple of portable tables under my canopy and run everything from a skill saw to a belt sander.

Occasionally park staff would come around to see what I was up to but never once did I get a complaint about the noise. Mind you, I always chose the most out of the way campsite I could find.

Perhaps, given the restrictions where you are, the best thing you can do is to have all the wood planned out, buy lots of screws and head out to a park for a few days.

It does mean figuring out how to live in the middle of a construction project...maybe need a tent along to either store stuff or to live in while you build the van.

Don't forget that the lumber yards will do all the major cuts for you. I can't handle a full sheet of plywood so all my big cuts were done before I left the lumber yard.

I would do the build while still apartment dwelling. I'm considering hiring someone do the "noisy" parts and then put all the pieces together myself. It's a work in progress in my head.

ArtW said:
This reminds me of an apartment complex I lived in, but with an intelligent owner
Same 'no working on cars' rule, but I rebuilt my whole front end in the lot one weekend
Then some other guy tried to fix his car and caught flak for it, when he couldn't get it fixed
His response to it was 'you let that white boy get away with it'
owner's response 'that white boy rebuilt a front end in a day and a half, and didn't make a mess'

I see having the rule, but think some exceptions should be made
as far as no cargo vans being parked there, that is utterly stupid and indefensible, what if you own one you use for work? you just can't live there? stoopid stoopid stoopid no way would I allow my landlord to dictate to me what kind of vehicle I drive

now as to advice you can use, no build buildout
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html

of course you'd still want to improve on it later

They used to allow cargo vans but so many people were driving their work vans that they filled the lot. I guess some people complained about it. Shrug.